August 2007 Contest -- The Medieval Tavern/Inn

Ghenghis Ska
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Ghenghis Ska » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:48 am

Ugh, it's not even the waiting for the results that's killing me i have a bunch of pictures i took that were done with people and other props in it, that i want to put up, but have been holding off cause i don't want to influence anything...

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:32 am

Good luck everyone! Your entries were pretty amazing.

L

admin
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by admin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:50 pm

Thanks for all the entries! We will pick a winner very soon -- as soon as Stefan returns which should be in the next day or so. Thank you for your patience and your great set-ups!

fiddy
Orc
Orc

Post by fiddy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 pm

The Lion's Catch

Known for serving good meals and drinks, the Lion's Catch has a large dining area. One thing it's not known for is a good night's rest (since there is only sleeping space for the owners, cook, and servants). The table near the fireplace is reserved for the higher-class patrons that occaisionally drop in, while those furthest away serve the lower classes.

It appears that the evil necromancer has sent his minions to attack, but the owners had enough warning to get themselves and their patrons to safety. Perhaps they escaped through the secret door and into the tunnels beneath?

Left behind are the owners riches, "safe" behind another secret door.

jkratzer
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jkratzer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:16 am

northman Sean;

Forge a trusting relationship with someone down here in the Lower 48 who can 'receive' your shipment, then reship it to you via USPS Parcel Post, at an agreed-upon fee. I did that once for a guy in the UK wh odidn't want to pay the Humongicus Global Express charge PLUS UK VAT on SHIPPING as well as the DF merchandise. He was willing to pay the VAT on the merchandise, which is only fair, but taxing shipping charges is BS (but grist for another mill, not here!). So he made an Ice Dungeon set for me, brought it with him when he was visiting Boston on business and mailed it from there, and I sent his stuff to him from Baltimore when it arrived, to Deal in the UK. He got a legitimate shipment from me, on a slow boat that took 6 weeks instead of 6 days, but cost less than 1/6th the cost to deliver, and the VAT was WAY BELOW as well! And the guy made a great Ice dungeon set for me! Everybody was happy except the Taxman - and who cares about HIM?

And you could do the same thing, if you know anyone down here. Check around; you needn't ask me, I'm sure you have a friend or relative SOMEWHERE south of Canada but north of Mexico.

Jim

Myrthe
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Myrthe » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:58 pm

So, after having the error of my cardboard ways kindly pointed out to me (Thanks, again Shoe!!), I've come up with a "legal" layout now that I've read the rules :)

Enjoy !!!

"The Town Crier, ever the brave soul, gave his final scream of warning as the advancing undead cut him down. That alarm gave the townsfolk and revelers of the "Belching Bard", a neat, well-kept Tavern and Inn, the time they needed to escape through the back doors. There would be no live meat for the famished skeletons to feast upon this day … the only scent that greeted them was of smoke from the chimney from the still burning fire in the hearth."

While the rooms are pretty self explanatory, I wanted to comment on some interesting (IMO) points and features…

The first being the Great Room or Tavern, proper … The layout provides for a couple of more private dining areas perfect for clandestine planning. The area under the loft, around the fireplace is perfect for listening to tales of adventure. The new bar will go to the right side of the building and adjacent to the opening from the Kitchen. Can you see what I've come up with for a stand-in?

A second bar accessory will make great cupboards lining the Kitchen walls. I've used a couple of the window walls as pass-throughs from the Kitchen to the serving wenches.

The adjacent Larder, center rear, is used for stores not needing the cooler air of the basement. I placed one of the narrow doors at the tall end of the stair run to make it look like a stair goes to the basement. The little alcove there provides an ideal spot for a quick romp with one of the serving wenches ;)

The stairs take you up to a Sleeping Loft (or private dining area) that overlooks the main tavern. The stacked columns in the center represent the chimney penetration from the fireplace below (what can I say?!! I'm detail oriented !!) and the cap is an upside down crate. A couple of private rooms are on the first floor and there is a back door from the hallway outside of them.

Removing the Loft, you see a Secret Room that also has a trap door to a secret section of the basement (I'm tempted to build this on top of my DF Dungeon Pieces !!).

I like this layout because, from a gaming standpoint, it provides many opportunities for both ranged and close combat. If only the cowardly patrons would come back and kick some skeleton butt !!!

Oh, and for those wondering, the "nondescript" cobblestone mat that the the "Belching Bard" is on is a vinyl Department 56 Christmas village item. Shhh ... don't tell my wife :D

BTW, the proprietor is also taking suggestions for a better name for his establishment …

Thenorthman
Orc
Orc

Post by Thenorthman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:31 pm

There all looking good to me. Makes me wish I had some Tavern stuff. WIth the shipping though it might have to wait until Gencon. :( Never got a reply after the inital reply after I made an inquiry if I could have the stuff shipped USPS Parcel Post. :( Possably just busy...or they didn't like the idea of me living in Alaska. Thing is the USPS website gives you a good quote for shipping with the deminsions of the box so it shouldn't be to much harder (could even pay a $10 or something like that service fee on top of the shipping charge, would still be less than UPS Ground to Alaska)....but if everyone was requesting it I suppose it could get bad. One person gets it the next one would complain if they didn't.

Yet L had an excellent idea kind of. Dwarven Forge should do at least one more set of mini's, and they be tavern personel.

Server's, maybe ones that look like they might "moonlight" as something else on the side if the price is right :0, bartender, maybe a lunging dog (what backwoods tavern dosn't have a mutt in front of the fireplace?).

Just an idea. I know that doing stuff in the mini's line is a little tight due to the competition of so many others out there but they would be a nice addition. :)

Sean

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:14 pm

I didn't switch on purpose; the old one died. :( But the recent pics I've taken have been with the new one, I simply didn't realize how to use the software for this set. I sent in pics that were 1600x1200 instead of 1000x800 or so, and the result is just very very BIIIG. But the pics I've been posting for the past month or so have been on the new camera, it still does nice work. And I can get much closer now, too -- as at least some of these pictures show.

L

EDIT: Actually, if I have time, I may try to resize these before the deadline. It wouldn't change anything substantive about them, but maybe seeing them in one piece, without having to scroll around them, would allow them to give a better impression. But that may not be something I have time for. If I do, it'll be at like 10pm tomorrow night....

EDIT EDIT: OK, I made the time. I'm still really impressed by the other entries, and I won't get my hopes up for this contest, but I wanted to make sure I was at least in the running. Those too-large photos weren't doing me any favors. Still not crazy about the overview shot, but at least it conveys the layout, and the close-ups are always my favorites anyway....

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:04 pm

WHY DID YOU SWITCH CAMERAS???

(your old close up pics were always so super excellent!!!)

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:58 pm

So here's my attempt.... I have to say, I've found both of these contests REALLY hard. This one is a real challenge because not only do we not have miniatures that really "work" in a tavern, we don't have the tavern set yet! So we have to make a tavern with no bar, with no food, with really just tables. I could have gone the route I did in the past with lots of tables in a general seating area, but I decided to try something different -- more of a bed and breakfast sort of place.

We've got a nice little entryway, then there's a main hall and some balcony seating. There are stagelights against one wall below, so the people in the balcony can watch performances. Then we have the main drinkin' area, with menus (!) and behind it, a nice little fireplace nook. Then we've got, of course, storage areas and a small room for rent. The room, naturally, has a secret door that leads to a room with only stairs... who knows where the real adventure begins....

And the place is abandoned and being ransacked by orcs. No real loot here, but smashin' up stuff is FUUUUN!

L