What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

I really want new water and/or lava tiles, and don't really care about new negative water/lava sculpts.
24%
I really want new negative water/lava sculpts, and don't really care about new water and/or lava tiles.
11%
I really want both, but if I have to choose I'd prefer new water/lava tiles.
48%
I really want both, but if I have to choose I'd prefer new negative water/lava sculpts.
13%
I do not care about any new water or lava options in KS6.
5%

Total votes: 80

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What is your opinion on "water/lava" options in KS6?

Post by William » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:14 pm

I'll try some right now...

Things we already agree would be good...
superjman's waterfall
superjman wf.jpg
superjman wf.jpg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 343 times
superjman wf1.jpg
superjman wf1.jpg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 343 times
New tile pieces with walls and/or floors -
Post HPIM3569.JPG
Post HPIM3569.JPG (105.95 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Post HPIM3571.JPG
Post HPIM3571.JPG (98.41 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Next will be negative space ideas -
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:54 pm
I think I thought I knew what negative space was, and now I think I thought wrong and didn't know correctly what I thought negative space was.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
Negative space = a water, chasm, acid, etc. area covered by something to represent the hazard and flanked by terrain. For instance, for water you can surround an area you have covered with blue construction paper with DF pieces and the area can easily be recognized as water. You could do black as a pit. A starfield as an open rift in the floor into space. Red for lava, etc. Doing this eliminates any need for DF tiles in the negative space area.

DF did a lava negative space and an acid negative space in the Dungeon of Doom with the terrain trays.

untitled.png
untitled.png (524.43 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (80.54 KiB) Viewed 338 times
Last edited by AnimeSensei on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:07 pm

That was it exactly this time... Hmmm?

EDIT -
The drop I did last night with 4 pics I hit Submit, I then went in to edit two of the pictures order and was unable to complete the edit. It just kept the way I had originally posted them.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:05 pm

William wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:04 am
AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!
Got all 19 pictures loaded, then went back in to add text and all the pictures timed out before posting. Something that seems to happen on the change of the hour. It's happened before and really pisses me off.
Sorry, I'll try again later.
I have an issue where if you upload more than one picture, you -HAVE- to push Submit. If you push Preview, all but one of your pictures is deleted.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:54 pm

I think I thought I knew what negative space was, and now I think I thought wrong and didn't know correctly what I thought negative space was.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:06 am

Animewarped wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:11 pm
I would enjoy both, but I think the negative space would work easier for me and be cheaper. I'm getting some docks and eventually the Barge from Bones, so lots of open water and maybe rivers are what I'm after
Sounds like you backed the same stuff as we did :)
We bought a 6x4 terrain mat with a large river one side and an ocean on the other for this type of stuff.
Got a Pegasus Bridge Bolt Action set that needs a sizable river to cross, hoping DF can help us with that with the terrain trays from KSV or VI if the mats don't work out :)

Kryzsko wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:48 pm
William wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:45 am
Kryzsko wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:35 pm

Someone on these forums made some homemade negative space water pieces that looked amazing. I can't find the pictures if they even still exist but maybe the person who made them can re-post them (whoever you are). I am just saying don't underestimate how good negative space pieces can look.
EDIT - Or possibly any of this thread?
viewtopic.php?p=70216#p70216
Yes, that link goes to the exact pictures I was thinking of. Amazing use of negative space. Thanks for posting that as I could not find the thread.
Those pictures with the cavern lake are exactly why we need negative space terrain trays - those builds are fabulous btw.

tiles for streams, small rivers and ponds, negative space terrain trays for anything bigger is what we want to see :) with the same for lava.

We also like to see modular water and Lava falls so you can have a 4"+ fall.
I am the Game and I want to Play

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:04 am

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!
Got all 19 pictures loaded, then went back in to add text and all the pictures timed out before posting. Something that seems to happen on the change of the hour. It's happened before and really pisses me off.
Sorry, I'll try again later.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:48 pm

William wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:45 am
Kryzsko wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:35 pm
I want both, but for the negative space pieces, I would like them to look more like the resin water tiles if you just cut off the water portion. I like something that slopes down and is not an abrupt edge. KS2 chasm pieces look very repetitive and also don't work that well as a water edge. They are also very small so it takes a TON of them to do much. I want some longer 1x4" (and not perfectly straight) and maybe even some 2x4" so that there is space to make them more irregular and still slope down to the edge.

Someone on these forums made some homemade negative space water pieces that looked amazing. I can't find the pictures if they even still exist but maybe the person who made them can re-post them (whoever you are). I am just saying don't underestimate how good negative space pieces can look.
Is this what you are mentioning?
If so, I'll post more later tonight, because I have other ideas to add to the water tile discussion.
Beach Fillers.jpg

EDIT - Or possibly any of this thread?
viewtopic.php?p=70216#p70216
Yes, that link goes to the exact pictures I was thinking of. Amazing use of negative space. Thanks for posting that as I could not find the thread.

thedmstrikes
Goblin
Goblin

Post by thedmstrikes » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Talistran wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:24 pm
I agree that the negative space stuff is done pretty well.

The only negative space stuff that I would argue for would be 4" sloped blocks that could be used for the beaches of large lakes and rivers; 4" so that the angle can be gentle enough to allow miniatures to stand on it without needing anything special.
This sounds good too, I would not mind this stuff for my underdark games...you guys are just trying to make all my new wipeaway mats useless...next you will be asking for trees and grassy knolls and such...oh wait, you already have... :D

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:16 pm

Could sloping “beach” tiles be sculpted with a thin edge to overhang cavern floor tiles for a better transition?
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch