Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: KS Encounter Ideas

Post by Oldent » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 am

Kryzsko wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:31 am
To answer the original question:

The players I DM for prefer more roleplay focused encounters. They like to be able to be creative (almost to a fault) rather than just fighting. Therefore they like more intelligent foes rather than the more animal-like monsters. They like to be able to sneak, lie, con, and to make deals. They prefer encounters that are more of a sandbox with multiple paths. They like mysteries to investigate, weird/creepy happenings, and puzzles to solve. My players prefer more of a framework of a story rather than a linear narrative. They like an objective or multiple objectives and people to talk to, and then they fill in the rest.

The original question.
I would think the original question is based on the assumption that the encounter is going to involve elements created with Dwarven Forge in caverns.I am going to limit my responses to to that. I am going to use a photo when possible. I like to imagine the encounter, create it with 3d elements and let the players fill in and react. Using 3D elements takes planning and preparation and a lot of time that many DMs do not have. I also use 3D elements for board games. Sometimes this involves parts/tiles that are not available.I often have to create something.What encounters created with new DF tiles and elements would you like to see?

I would like to see more ledges and water features.
Riddles in the dark.

I would like to see some serpiente walkways and Stairs.
Drums in the deep.

The photos pre date KS one.

I would like to see encounters involving Dwarf mines and Under Dark.

The first ting I thought of when this arrived Friday.

Bridge encounters? What is your name? What is your favorite color?

I would like to see a new log bridge

William asked about my paper cutter. I have it out to cut the felt paper base bottoms for my 24 lava tile set for Massive Darkness.

I need to finish the bases so I can stack them in boxes.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Seraphis the Bland
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:38 am

Kryzsko wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:31 am

The players I DM for prefer more roleplay focused encounters. They like to be able to be creative (almost to a fault) rather than just fighting... They prefer encounters that are more of a sandbox with multiple paths. They like mysteries to investigate....
My God, I can drop a random object in the room with my players and they will discuss what the heck it could be, what it [/i]really could be, what is it doing there, debate who brought it and for what purpose, etc, long enough for me to get up, make a coffee, visit the can, damn, I could probably make myself a sandwich before they would have even started the debate over what to do about it. If they detect magic on it they'll be transfixed over the wonder of the fact that it's not magical. I almost have to limit how often I do a description of natural objects/features of an area otherwise the game would never get anywhere!

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Arbados » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:16 am

So do my players, but then some have a tendency to get annoyed when their adversary is too smart for their own well being and good! I'm going through this right now with a very well thought out adversary that the group brought on themselves!

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:31 am

To answer the original question:

The players I DM for prefer more roleplay focused encounters. They like to be able to be creative (almost to a fault) rather than just fighting. Therefore they like more intelligent foes rather than the more animal-like monsters. They like to be able to sneak, lie, con, and to make deals. They prefer encounters that are more of a sandbox with multiple paths. They like mysteries to investigate, weird/creepy happenings, and puzzles to solve. My players prefer more of a framework of a story rather than a linear narrative. They like an objective or multiple objectives and people to talk to, and then they fill in the rest.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Tinker's dam, William, now I do too....

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS 5
WeaselWarGod

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:37 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:27 am
Oh thanks Oldent.

Normally your fabulous builds use either your beautifully manufactured bespoke pieces or terrain that we don't have. So we can relax in the (slightly flawed) knowledge that we could not make what you do.

Now you show us what we could have built all along! No more excuses........

Thanks Oldent !

No really thanks 😀 will try that build when I get home.
Nice sideways use of the 8x8 mountain floor tile, top job!
I post the photos to inspire. You can do what I do. But thanks.

I played with the MT. instead of painting for todays game. Now I am playing catch up.

I really want serpentine cavern stairs now :!:

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:27 am

Oh thanks Oldent.

Normally your fabulous builds use either your beautifully manufactured bespoke pieces or terrain that we don't have. So we can relax in the (slightly flawed) knowledge that we could not make what you do.

Now you show us what we could have built all along! No more excuses........

Thanks Oldent !

No really thanks 😀 will try that build when I get home.
Nice sideways use of the 8x8 mountain floor tile, top job!
I am the Game and I want to Play

Seraphis the Bland
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 am

Dang! now I think I need a mountain....

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:49 pm

I received my mt. set today. This is what I was excited about.I put this together as I unwrapped the packs.

I would love to have this as a curved cavern stair.

The 8 by 8's make nice facades.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 am

Wow - did not see the Coke or water bottle buildings in their Shanty Town KS :shock:

Great pictures as always Oldent :)
I am the Game and I want to Play