Total votes: 149

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Re: What minis do you MOST want?

Post by Talistran » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Ken Mattson wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:43 am
I voted for Valorian personalities, mostly because I get the sense that much of DF output is related to Valoria and its always good to let an artist follow a dream of seeing his imaginary world come to life. Personally, I have only just started doing terrain and miniatures, so I need adventurers and basic monsters the most. The only minis I own are DF lizardmen, a full set of Wizkids undead, and a giant undead dragon. I need so much more, but I will never paint, so have to buy pre-paints. I can’t see myself ever getting city or castle terrain; so townsfolk, guards and the like aren’t for me.
Welcome to the addiction of 3D terrain and miniatures :)

Miniatures have been around for a LONG time. As such, any time there is talk of creating a new miniature or line of miniatures, one must look at sales. One has to be able to sell a product, or it is called "art", not a product :)

So, DF is looking at four things that will affect the sales of their miniatures:

1) Can they produce something that looks significantly better than what is already out there?
2) Can they produce something that has a better pose/has the right combination of weapons and armor?
3) Can they produce something that is significantly more durable/higher quality than what is already out there?
4) Can they produce something that has not been done before and THUS automatically wins #1 and #2.

To address #1, DF employs some of the finest artists in the business. But this is not unique to DF. They use the same miniature artists as every other quality miniature line out there.... i.e. Great artists. So, their sculpts are not going to be any better, generally speaking, than anything else out there.

To address #2, there are SO many freaking miniatures out there right now, that it is very hard to claim superiority in #2. Is it doable for an individual to claim that I cannot find a certain combination (i.e. I want a monk armed with a lute)... Yes. But, right now there are roughly 4,385 elven bowman miniatures. If you need a PC swordsman, don't worry, there are 15,283 of them divided fairly evenly between sword/board, one handed, two handed, and fencing style. Want a wizard? yep... 184,372,294,281 of them already produced. Yes, I made up the numbers, but there are literally hundreds and thousands and tens of thousands of miniatures out there for any style/race/generic type that you want among PCs, humanoids, and monsters.

To address #3, DF produces miniatures in Dwarvenite, which is superior in some ways and not significantly better or worse in others. For me, Dwarvenite is not superior to the plastic/PVC used by WizKids/Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder prepainted lines in terms of durability. I can throw any and all of them into a bin with a bunch of others and they don't get damaged. Good enough for me. Some argue that there is more detail in Dwarvenite than the plastic/PVC... cool. It isn't significantly better to me, so I don't have much more to say here.

To address #4, DF has the opportunity to produce miniatures that have not been done before or at least haven't been done often. As a collector who has been doing this for a while, I don't need or want another generic PC or monster. I literally own every prepainted miniatures ever produced by pathfinder and D&D, and loads of them by Reaper and WizKids. I have purchased hundreds and thousands of unpainted miniatures as well over the years. So, while whatever PC or humanoid or monster Dwarvenforge would create would be cool... I personally won't buy it. I don't have their kobolds or their lizardmen, because I literally have dozens or hundreds or thousands of other options... and so do you. That doesn't mean that I don't like their miniatures. If I didn't already own literally hundreds of other kobolds or lizardmen, I totally would buy DF miniatures. They are "better" than what I own, but not enough for me to change over from having dozens and dozens of individual sculpts to just having a few. On the other hand, I did buy their ratmen and townfolk sets. Because they were new enough and unique enough that I wanted them.

Thus, I want DF to produce stuff that hasn't been done before OR has been done so few times that I still want more unique sculpts. For instance, a few companies have done seated miniatures or townfolk before. But I want literally hundreds of townfolk and I want dozens of different seated miniatures (maybe hundreds here too). So, I and others like me, want them to do these types of miniatures instead of what a newcomer to the world of miniatures is going to want.

Anyways, I hope that makes sense... and again, congrats on joining this world and welcome :)

Kent

Animewarped
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Animewarped » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:17 pm

I've been doing some looking around and have had trouble finding fantasy dock workers. If DF really does do a dock encounter in the future, I think some worker figures would be great in a minis KS. All I seem to find are either colonial or pirates so far. Simple fishermen and laborers would be awsome

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:42 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:50 pm
Kryzsko wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:20 pm
Ken Mattson wrote:
I voted for Valorian personalities, mostly because I get the sense that much of DF ouput is related to Valoria and its always good to let an artist follow a dream of seeing his imaginary world come to life. Personally, I have only just started doing terrain and miniatures, so I need adventurers and basic monsters the most. The only minis I own are DF lizardmen, a full set of Wizkids undead, and a giant undead dragon. I need so much more, but I will never paint, so have to buy pre-paints. I can’t see myself ever getting city or castle terrain; so townsfolk, guards and the like aren’t for me.
Towns people also make nice NPCs. There are a lot of times when I want characters that are not brandishing a weapon. They can also be used for more unique player character. Like a minstrel can make a nice bard. Even if you are using a grid map and drawing your maps, you could use them to populate your tavern or inn. They can also be used as NPC that need to be rescued from dungeons, dens, or caves.
Turnkey miniatures has a small set of orc villagers as well as elf and halfling.

http://www.turnkeyminiatures.com/search ... earch.y=15
I appreciate their attempt but those elves are kind of (to put this kindly) lacking in aesthetic appeal.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:20 pm
Ken Mattson wrote:
I voted for Valorian personalities, mostly because I get the sense that much of DF ouput is related to Valoria and its always good to let an artist follow a dream of seeing his imaginary world come to life. Personally, I have only just started doing terrain and miniatures, so I need adventurers and basic monsters the most. The only minis I own are DF lizardmen, a full set of Wizkids undead, and a giant undead dragon. I need so much more, but I will never paint, so have to buy pre-paints. I can’t see myself ever getting city or castle terrain; so townsfolk, guards and the like aren’t for me.
Towns people also make nice NPCs. There are a lot of times when I want characters that are not brandishing a weapon. They can also be used for more unique player character. Like a minstrel can make a nice bard. Even if you are using a grid map and drawing your maps, you could use them to populate your tavern or inn. They can also be used as NPC that need to be rescued from dungeons, dens, or caves.
Turnkey miniatures has a small set of orc villagers as well as elf and halfling.

http://www.turnkeyminiatures.com/search ... earch.y=15

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:20 pm

Ken Mattson wrote:

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:07 pm

For me I want Villager/townsfolk but I want other races. Most villagers I find are human. I would like to see other less common races. I want Gnomes, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings (no shoes and hairy feet), Dragonborn, Tieflings, Half-orcs, and even rare races like Turtle men (Tortals), frog men, and any of the other more fantastical races. I like my city to look more like the cantina from Star Wars. I have a good amount of regular humans.

Also a nice set of fantasy kids running around and playing.

I could go for some seated humans, but other than that I am good on plain human villagers.

Mushu_Green
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Mushu_Green » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:55 am

kitenerd wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:51 am
for someone starting out with minis - here is a lot going cheap that is a good selection of useable stuff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-100-Dun ... 1438.l2649

i am sure it will more than double at the end, but if you could get this 100 for $150 you could cobble together an adventuring party and have monsters and or stand ins for most encounters
May not ship to Canada :(

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:51 am

for someone starting out with minis - here is a lot going cheap that is a good selection of useable stuff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-100-Dun ... 1438.l2649

i am sure it will more than double at the end, but if you could get this 100 for $150 you could cobble together an adventuring party and have monsters and or stand ins for most encounters
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Animewarped
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Animewarped » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 am

You don't need City or Castle to enjoy townsfolk. Imagine an underground black market, or an illegal death match arena with a vendor selling meat pies to the spectators. Who doesn't enjoy a nice meat pie while watching a handful of lizardmen battle it out with some bugbears? :)

Ken Mattson
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Ken Mattson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:43 am