Suggestions from the peanut gallery

Animewarped
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Suggestions from the peanut gallery

Post by Animewarped » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:32 am

You could use the Burrows as an entrance too. They have the ability to be entered from the side or the top. It's just making the cover for the caverns that would be difficult.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:24 am

jackattack wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:26 am
You need dowels, particle board, a drill, wood screws, and a modeling saw blade.
Invincible Overlord had a cool version. May be some one has the photo.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:26 am

You need dowels, particle board, a drill, wood screws, and a modeling saw blade.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Rhizom
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Rhizom » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:01 am

I love the idea of having entrances from above, but since DF seems not yet to know how to do outdoor terrain, I am not sure that they can provide something that will be compatible with the wilderness-kickstarter before they have a concept for the wilderness. What they already have is mountains, so maybe that would be a good start (and quite close to kitenerds proposal): an entrance to the caves from the Mountain set.
Another entrance from above that I would really appreciate is a village well that leads deep into the water Caverns. Maybe with a bucket at a rope that you can move up and down.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 am

What if the entrance was sort of a rock pile with a hole in the middle intended to span across 2 4x8 terrain trays? (so the dwarvenite would be 6x8 and overlap an inch on either side - with magnets). Then you would be covering a 12x8 area of the cavern below and that would lift off in one piece. the whole table full of caverns could be covered by cardboard or masonite (for those on a budget) or more terrain trays. Think about how cool it would be to have a resin ruins layout, with a sink hole in the middle of it. Drop in the hole - chose a direction and start lifting off sections of the ruins above as you explore the caverns below!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:42 am

Maybe not all rooms, but at least be the capability to have a cool entrance down to the caves that is stable
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:47 am

I see what you are saying, but it would take a TON of dwarvenite to build the walls, floors and the ceiling to boot. especially a ceiling that had other stuff on top to make it look natural for the outdoors.

Not sure I could get that much dwarvenite in my budget.

Are you thinking more covering rooms or covering passages. Passages would not be too hard I think, rooms, on the other hand.....
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Suggestions from the peanut gallery

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:44 am

I was thinking today about the caverns kickstarter, and thought how cool it would be to have some way to have ceilings.

Hear me out.

It would be fun to be able to cover my cave with above ground terrain and have the adventures enter through a hole and go DOWN into the cave structure. You then take the top off of the cavern (thereby moving the above ground terrain) as they enter. Basically I want a way to support a hill or something on top, while using elevation to still have a dynamic build. Something like the trays from the castles kickstarter that allowed us to build on top of first floor rooms in dungeons, or something like a terrain tray from the DoD kickstarter that would look good as a concealer.

Is this too confusing? Should I draw a picture or am I making sense?
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned