KS6 First Teaser

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Re: KS6 First Teaser

Post by arsthein » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:31 am

Hi there folks, happy to hear that the DF team is getting full time jobs, congrats to everyone! it makes me very happy to know that the company is getting much more healthy and stable, and heartwarming to watch it come from a (mostly solo) master musician to a well tuned orchestra. It makes me feel hopeful for the future of the hobby, and think that there will be DF products for many years and that the current era it is not something to see someday as a "golden age" of sorts.

Very well deserved return to the caverns, I think is the right time to keep on with the pattern of the kickstarters, after the previous return to the dungeons.

I'm very happy too with the prospect of the format of the KS. I mean, I advocate the use of basic sets + accesories and themed sets over encounters, but if there are ways to circumvent the perceived problems of the previous DoD encounters (repetition of bread and butter pieces, stretch goals, etc) I'm perfectly fine with it.

That said, I own quite an amount of caverns by now, resin and dwarvenite, I have elevations, bridges, chasms, water, lava, ice... so I'm not sure aside from the need of some new walls to break the repetition of the 2x2 pieces of the 2nd KS, what I would need.

The thing I am most expecting from a return to the caverns is the possibility of a full fledged spider web accesories/pieces set. The bits that could help with something like that so far are few and come in low quantities. I've been on the hunt for years of something to fill tunnels, chasms, floors and walls. Hopefully something that could work in dungeons too. Hanging wall accesories, freestanding columns and 2 inches walls that fit in cavern passages, corner and floor accesories, etc.

Hopefully there are 2 inches wide cavern passages this time around, aside from that I don't really feel too incline to purchase pieces that just help with structural nuances.

The waterfalls interest me too, is just that, as someone has said, the pack in which they came in KS 2 wasn't very appealing to me. I'm hoping for something similar to the walls of force in DoD, with curved tops to addapt seamlessly to higher water tiles, and maybe some pieces that allow for easier "stackability".

About the burrows, I agree with most people, I think that they will disappear from the store pretty fast. If you can afford to grab all the DF stuff, there are a lot of people that finds them very useful. I would have been more interested if there were capable of the same degree of modularity as the regular DF stuff, so I could make wider tunnels, variable size caverns, etc, that way I could have mixed them better with regular caverns, made tunneled lairs, and even use them as part of mines. Though I admit that would make the vertical posibilities more demanding than the current format.

We'll see what shows up! I'm in for new goodies and things to make caverns unique, as cristal walls, slimy caverns, etc.

By the way, I think this could be a brilliant oportunity to add molds, puddings and slimes of various colours to the dwarvenite miniatures range. They have a unique hability to make minis blend with the environment so the prospect of having mold "minis" attached to walls and covering passages, and in general adapting to the shapes of the space available excites me very much.

Greetings,

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:25 am

Cool Beans :)

I am sure if the camera panned back you'd have Elye and Toby holding up a massive model of a finger and thumb holding wrought iron post in front of a cliff face :lol:

A big cave entrance would be cool - but damn they got some talented creators at DF.
I am the Game and I want to Play

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 pm

I hope the pic is of only 1% of what he is sculpting.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 pm

I would also like to see large pieces for entrances and even other stuff. They are impressive and really make the dungeon seem foreboding. Some of the builds I see on here really use different tricks for building imposing or large entrances with smaller pieces, even the official DF pics. Why not just have the impressive entrances?

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Smogma wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 pm
Personally, I don't really care for enormous entrance pieces. That's not a knock at Elye. I'd just prefer a "double door" piece sized like the one in the KS5 Dungeon of Doom, rather than the Griffin Tamer KS.

Having said that, I really do think Elye will bring a lot to the table for the caverns. His "mountain" pieces were not only well sculpted, but he utilized the "dead space" on the pieces in a way to make them reversible and versatile. He had a lot of interesting shapes, like the "swells", that I think will translate well onto cavern pieces for irregular organic cave shapes.
Second that... Elye's mountains were fantastic, one of my favorite parts of the castles kickstarter. I'm using them all the time in my games. I'd like the 'double door' piece and a grand entrance or three. The mouth of a cave is a very dramatic part of an adventure story; it's the threshold into a new world.

I'd love to see a piece modeled off of this:

because it angles into the ground, and would make a great burrows entrance.

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Personally, I don't really care for enormous entrance pieces. That's not a knock at Elye. I'd just prefer a "double door" piece sized like the one in the KS5 Dungeon of Doom, rather than the Griffin Tamer KS.

Having said that, I really do think Elye will bring a lot to the table for the caverns. His "mountain" pieces were not only well sculpted, but he utilized the "dead space" on the pieces in a way to make them reversible and versatile. He had a lot of interesting shapes, like the "swells", that I think will translate well onto cavern pieces for irregular organic cave shapes.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm

A large entrance is the reason I want ELye to do a new kickstarter or reoffer his last KSes stuff.

I can hope for something this time around.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Looks more like a floor to me, because the vertical edge at bottom of picture has bold texture.
My guess is a large cave entrance. (Elye's pretty good at those... :) )
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Harneloot wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:40 pm
Thank you for the BEAN!

Could that be a waterfall piece or water with walls piece? That very flat area on the floor makes me think water but maybe just not finished yet...
I'm hoping Elye is sculpting the grandest cavern entrance the world has ever seen. His cave entrance from the Griffin Tamer Kickstarter was awesome, and his work has only improved since he started collaborating with DF sculptors.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Thank you for the BEAN!

Could that be a waterfall piece or water with walls piece? That very flat area on the floor makes me think water but maybe just not finished yet...