Some Official Anchor Magnet Info

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Re: Some Official Anchor Magnet Info

Post by marcoreds » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:09 am

Agree with geekjeff.

For floors, not a problem, at worst you can just flip some over.

For walls, it might be a hassle iF you are used to stack ALL of your walls in a single super-long pile.

If you stack them in 2+ piles anyway, then I don't see the problem, just stack them in 2 piles according to polarity...

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:15 am

Pretty sure those pics are hot off the factory line in China, so DF probably doesn't have multiple walls or such to stack and test.

I did some experiments though with some slightly larger neodymium magnets I had kicking around on my fridge, looks like they're 8mm x 3mm. I think people's biggest concern is nesting the stacking the "L" walls for storage - that's my concern too. When you consider the thickness of the vertical brick wall plus the thickness of the integrated pillars, there's going to be a significant offset with these. They're going to stack more like Caverns walls than KS1 walls, less tightly with the centers less overlapped.

Totally eyeballing the distance with my slightly larger magnets, I don't anticipate much of a problem. I think the magnets will be far enough apart that the weight of the Wall pieces and friction will allow them to nest in neat rows even if the polarity is off on a few. There may be a little repulsion, but it's not like your drawers are going to be spring loaded and pieces will explode out when you open them. :lol:

Plain dungeon floors, different story. Their magnets would overlap 100% and repel. But - flipping the odd floor upside down to stack, while annoying, isn't a geometry problem like it would be with walls. If they're a genuine pain I could always pry out the "wrong" polarity magnets and reglue 'em.

I don't think in practice that storage will be much of an issue. Now, magnetic minis and bases are a different story - my personal recommendation remains to avoid Anchor Magnets if you're already invested in conflicting magnetic mini feature systems like that.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:15 am

Good information and I am glad it was released.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:22 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:23 pm
Thanks Nate,

glad to finally have the official word after much speculation

not the answer i wanted on polarity, but i appreciate the honesty

have you at DF HQ played with stacking and storing these? - how big a mess is it with opposite polarity?

currently making a leap of faith to magnetize, but i may chicken out at the last minute
Pretty much everything Kitenerd said is true for me as well. I WANT to go magnets, but...but...DoD is A LOT of pieces and I really don't want a storing nightmare... :(

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:13 pm

I stand corrected. I was under the impression it was magnets/metal plates like castle pieces.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:44 pm

The plan was always that Burrows Tunnel and Chamber pieces would have open holes, and things like ramp tips and Endcaps would have pegs in the ends to connect to those. Magnets would be on the bottoms, for attaching "ground floor" items to trays and more firmly connect elevated Tunnels and Chambers onto Stilts.

Now, that may have changed (I'll let Nate chime in on) but magnets in the sides/ends of all Burrows tunnel pieces was never under consideration. That way lies Polarity Madness.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm

The magnets that hold the burrows together should be independent of the magnets that hold them to a tray. They were advertised as connecting magnetically before the option of preinstalled magnets for the terrain trays were ever offered.

<edit - corrected typos from using my phone in the car>
<edit 2 - clarification... I was not driving>
Last edited by Vegomatic on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Thanks Nate,

glad to finally have the official word after much speculation

not the answer i wanted on polarity, but i appreciate the honesty

have you at DF HQ played with stacking and storing these? - how big a mess is it with opposite polarity?

currently making a leap of faith to magnetize, but i may chicken out at the last minute
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Wait, so what holds burrows together, magnets or pins? I seem to remember some pins from the KS. Guess I need to go back and check.... If we don't opt for magnets on our DoD pledge, will the burrows still stick together for elevation purposes, etc?
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

natetaylor
Ogre
Ogre

Some Official Anchor Magnet Info

Post by natetaylor » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Hey all! I just wanted to share the official anchor magnet info we have at this point, before the PM closes.
  • Size: The majority of the pieces will use a 6mm diameter by 3mm thick N50 rare earth magnet. Some of the burrows pieces will use larger ones (12mm diameter by 3mm thick N35) at the ends so two pieces can share one stilt.
  • Polarity: Currently we can't promise consistent polarity on the magnets. It's rather annoying, because we'd love to guarantee that. We're working with the factory so see if they can change the assembly process to ensure consistent polarity. We'll keep you posted.
  • Attachment: The magnets will be glued into a 6mm diameter port in the bottom of the pieces. The factory is installing a new QC checkpoint system for the glueing process to (finally) ensure that the magnets don't come out.
Below is a picture of an expanded casting showing the anchor port. The hole is a currently a larger diameter than the magnet because the final Dwarvenite pieces will shrink.