Elevation Tray Revisions

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Elevation Tray Revisions

Post by bernyleung » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:31 am

Now I feel like I want to open up the PM again and add a few trays. Will need to ponder this.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:45 am

I like versatility, too.

The original 12x12 lid would have made a terrific chess board (8x8 with a 2" border), with or without the knotwork detail. 11x11 knocks the 8x8 pattern off center.

But I can still use the 12x12 grid on the base as the board.

And if the non-grid side of the lid is smooth, I can print grid (with any details I like) onto removable decal sheets, or even etch them directly into the plastic.

(Now is would be the time to tell me that the non-grid side of the lid won't be smooth.)
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:59 am

I will get one with Gorgon Tiers and I'll probably like it a lot. I go for versatile stuff.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

glynnsmith
Goblin
Goblin

Post by glynnsmith » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:34 am

It was said during the KS that this item (and the double doors) was the most under priced item in the campaign. so be prepared to pay quite a bit more retail. I am picking up 3 of these bad boys.

fstkfstk
Orc
Orc

Post by fstkfstk » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:43 pm

You're all thinking too small. The box should be modular so you can pull off the sides and put on the texture you want. Castle, dungeon, cavern, garden...

lol. Glad I checked the forum after pledging. Really ugly choice cutting this out =( Will probably reconsider next week.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 am
The issue I see with Tudor CBS version is no door - unless its painted on - or you go for a more complex solution incorporating a usable door or MWOD style option on at least one side.

I could see using stone versions as ground floors or cellars that do not require door access.

If you can incorporate a door then you get a big 12x12 room - great for temples taverns etc
and with Castle roof platforms you can build up the floors and levels

Be interested in what can be done :)
I would think it would be for more of an elevated residence (brownstone style) or temple - a bit above the common riff raff ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 am

I think many of you are still misunderstanding the way these pieces work.

If you want a 12"*12" floor area, do use the tray upside down as the box has a flooring pattern underneath. It will be 1 5/8" high or so. If you want to have this floor flush with the top of existing regular walls, put the lid under it with the "dais" fitting inside the box. It now becomes 2" high.

It is NOT geometrically possible to generate a plain 3/8" high 12"*12" floor that can also serve as a sound lid for a 12"*12" 1 5/8" high box. A lid needs to "protrude" outside the 3/8" thickness so that it attaches firmly to the box or the box needs to be higher than 1 5/8" which is impossible if you want to keep the functionality to be able to add a regular piece on top to reach precisely 2" high. Furthermore, to fit 2" pieces inside a box that is 1 5/8" high, the lid HAS to be at 3/4" or so higher, hence my dais idea.

Another simple solution I had from the start was a plain 2" high 12"*12" tray without a lid. I wonder if such piece would have been popular (no dais, no lid, always 2" high, probably cheaper, not a box but a tray...).
Last edited by biowizard on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:51 am

I think the solution DF is proposing is perfect - you can have it both ways...BOTH decorative and plain in one elevation tray. Bravo DF!

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:55 am

I like the knotwork. I'm leaning towards getting four of these in my pledge. For me to do something equivalent using the 8x8 large floors when the elevation platform is in 1 5/8" mode, I would need to buy four 8x8 large floors and *80* dungeon floors! A plain look is more easily achieved as I have plenty of courtyard floors from KS4 already I can just put on top, though again I'll still need a ridiculous number of dungeon floors. I wish they made 12x12 floors....
zenako wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 pm
Agree with Jackattack on his points. Extra decorative features like something in the middle of the floor is not really needed in my opinion. IF this was just a storage box, fine, does not matter, but when being used as a part of a set up, it does not help to have features that do not mean anything being present, at least for my group. Similar but not as strong of an opinion on the knotwork around the edge of the floor. Some of us just like plain stuff since it can be more versatile and does not hint at some specific genre or timeframe or cultural setting.

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 am

I don't need the lid to be decorative.

+1 !