What did you order !!!!

Post Reply
Danielg1992
Goblin
Goblin
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:33 am

Re: What did you order !!!!

Post by Danielg1992 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:36 am

I hope a lot of newcomers got that remastered classic core it was a great deal.... looking at it better then a set of ks1 if you wanted a siZeable basic dungeon you could get that and a bunch bling make something super cool
I just wanna make the tomb of horrors with dwarvenite

93x74R
Orc
Orc
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:35 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Re: What did you order !!!!

Post by 93x74R » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Arsolos wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:12 pm
By the way, how do I go about getting one of those nifty KSV Backer shields for my profile?
And Arsolos now has a lovely shield!

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:46 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: What did you order !!!!

Post by GODofwar » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:43 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:51 pm
Methinks weasels like spreadsheets.

I would advise to think how big you want your setups to be at maximum (looking at a module and seeing what an average dungeon should be is a good start), go for enough bread and butter pieces to do that, and then fill in gaps in your collection with bling. (traps, tables, chairs, barrels, boxes, traps, altars, thrones, levers, traps, etc.)
Methinks Youthinks right.
I can't analyze any offering this complex without well, analyzing it. Breaking it down into comprehensible pieces.

Whilst still suggesting our new friend follow my sysgtem, animei's suggestion is also useful.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS V
WeaselWarGod

combs1ng
Kobold
Kobold
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: What did you order !!!!

Post by combs1ng » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:29 pm
combs1ng wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 pm
Why do you say the watchtower? Is it because it can represent a generic tower in numerous scenarios?
You can also use them with half floors to add a "D" shaped half-circle alcove to an existing room.
I didn't even think of this before. Now you and bernyleung have me thinking hard on a watchtower.

User avatar
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 3394
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:03 pm
Location: South Weber, UT

Re: What did you order !!!!

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:29 pm

combs1ng wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 pm
Why do you say the watchtower? Is it because it can represent a generic tower in numerous scenarios?
You can also use them with half floors to add a "D" shaped half-circle alcove to an existing room.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

User avatar
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 2403
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 pm
Location: Nagoya Japan

Re: What did you order !!!!

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:35 pm

I did not get into towers this last KS mostly in order to save some money. I am looking to use the curved walls from KSV to offset that lack a bit though.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

combs1ng
Kobold
Kobold
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: What did you order !!!!

Post by combs1ng » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Why do you say the watchtower? Is it because it can represent a generic tower in numerous scenarios?

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:52 am

Re: What did you order !!!!

Post by bernyleung » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 pm

The most useful KS4 set for an early build useful for gaming is the Watchtower, by far. Myself, I bought two, so I can keep an intact model of one for visualization purposes, and then use the second one as the play map that can be represented level by level (without taking apart the first one).

combs1ng
Kobold
Kobold
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: What did you order !!!!

Post by combs1ng » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:27 pm

I think you make some good points Gargs454. I was very close to going for the bridge but decided to hold off for now. I would like to get some cavern pieces and possibly city soon. A small castle or tower set might be down the road as well. I think you are right on holding off until we get some play time in, should help me determine what else would compliment my setup.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:27 am

Re: What did you order !!!!

Post by Gargs454 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 pm

As a fellow first timer, I think you did really well with your order. Honestly, with that much money to spend, it would be hard to really mess it up because there is so much stuff you can use. The important thing is to think about what your individual use will be.

As stated above, you'd want to look at how big is your play area? Will you ever use it for anything other than gaming? (i.e. set up a "village" someday for Holloween/Christmas). Another thing to remember is not just how big your table is, but how much of said table will be taken up by your fellow gamers. Do they each bring a laptop? Piles of Books? Big Gulp containers? Notebooks? etc., etc. Even a large table can quickly look cramped once your average gamer starts putting all the "necessary accessories" on the table. That said, most will soon adapt to your style as a GM. If they know you are going to take up a good chunk of the table with terrain pieces, they will adjust what they bring to the table/where they put it during the game.

In terms of what you actually selected, obviously everyone will have their favorites/least favorites. That said, I see nothing inherently wrong with anything you got. I probably would have skipped the Temple for something like Doomrollers and dungeon bridge and elevation packs but that is me. The only reason I say I would have skipped it is because the design of the temple pieces is pretty notable and specific and they won't mesh as well with others. I chose to save that for potentially later solely for that reason as I see it as a "couple of times per campaign" kind of thing. That said, I actually think the Temple is gorgeous, so nothing wrong there.

Mostly I'm just jealous because I didn't have near enough money to spend. :)

As stated by others, you have plenty of great pieces to work with there. I guess my one suggestion might be to hold off on purchasing any other dungeon pieces (with maybe the exception of the dungeon dressing stuff in the store) until you have had a chance to play around with what you are getting in the KS. You may well find that you have more than enough already. Rather, I would look into getting some cavern sets instead. Those will give you a whole other environment to run your games in and allow for more variety in encounters. I mean sure, you CAN use dungeon walls/floors for caves and caverns, but the actual cavern pieces will look far better! (All IMHO of course)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Seraphis the Bland and 1 guest