Grid compatability... again...

Please restrict your posting in this Forum to questions for Jenney.
Jenney will answer questions in the Codex Valoria.
You may carry on discussions in the Pre-Kickstarter News and the Kickstarter 5 Discussion Forums.
Mitch
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Grid compatability... again...

Post by Mitch » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks Biowizard.

I think he also posted here in the DF forums:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=8523&sid=f3b0d8594 ... 3ef6ef412a

Definitely something I will look into since being outside the US you get hit for shipping and then also with the exchange rate. Wasn't Trump supposed to ruin the economy and thus make the exchange rate better? :lol:

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:14 pm

Mitch,

As I see you are from Australia, I thought I should re-post here what I just saw in the KS5 comment section:

Clinton Macgowan Superbacker 18 minutes ago
**ATTN AUSTRALIAN BACKERS**
I have been waiting for hard facts before posting and I finally have some info about using 3rd Party Shippers.
For Castles KS, I used POSTMATE which is a reshipping service by Australia Post. They give you a free US Address to have stuff sent to and then they resend on to your listed Australia address. Sign up is free and they charge you in $AU.
Now for facts:
My Shipping Cost if I had DF send to me in Australia: $102US ($134AU)
The charge I just received from Shopmate: $57.60AU
Shopmate also airfreights the package and takes 5-7 business days delivery compared to DFs ship freight, which is the cheapest method of shipping in the world and seems to cost almost 2.5x. My order was only smallish as well and the savings were huge. The larger pledges would be a considerable saving which means being able to buy more DF. Another advantage is to be able to pay for shipping at a way later date.
So, I am not here to tell you that you must do this, just an FYI. But why throw money away on terrible shipping management when you can use it on more gear. However, as a point of being fair, I believe Aussies got their DF 2 weeks ago and mine will arrive in a week. I personally am okay with 3 extra weeks at that level of saving, but you might not be.
Now, I am off to up my pledge now that I know I can buy much more for my dollar.

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:42 am

I don't understand wtf you're talking about, Mitch. The current Pillar tile pieces have the exact same footprint and grid as all the other dungeon pieces (KS1, KS2, every old resin piece). What you're asking for (that tiny silver) explicitly *breaks* the grid....I'm completely baffled by what you're asking for.

If what you really want is a full 2x2 floor with walls on the outside, well, a) that would be something completely new, certainly not some sort of "Grid compatability... again..." issue and b) congratulations! Stefan actually made that exact thing possible in this KS with the new Passage pieces. Knock yourself out!

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:49 am

Mitch wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 pm
I still see it as not compatible as you can't get a nice grid in the room using the new red column wall pieces since they have a 1.5 inch grid and not a true 2x2.
The title of this thread is "Grid compatability(sic)... again...".

It implies that the grid in KS5 is not compatible.
If you define "grid compatibility" as the possibility to create a fully-tiled room, I would argue the opposite: KS5 is the first ever DF set to be "grid compatible" (using the prior definition).

But, I respectfully disagree with the definition of "grid compatibility". "Grid compatibility" to me refers to the alignment of the 1" grid pattern sculpted in floor pieces. The current design and others before did not misalign the floor grid pattern, with the possible exception of CBS (because of better game play access within crammed 4"*4" house units). This is why I think you should/could change the title of this thread to something more positive and representative such as "access to fully tiled rooms in KS5". I know titles of topics can be changed as I have seen it happen before.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:02 am

Strangely enough, I'm actually quite surprised that there is so much consternation on whether there is an extra 5/8" of a floor piece beside the walls and corners. Just tell your players: "Pretend that the wall/corner ends at the full square, so don't put your mini in the partial square." Is it not easier to do this bit of theatre-in-the-mind than to buy a (possibly) huge amount of passageway pieces to make it look perfect?

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:50 pm

I apologize. I don't usually hit send after I type something like that.

Just tired of all the complaining about how broken things are. They aren't broken, they just may not be as aesthetically pleasing as one might like.

I am very pleased with all that I have seen and am grateful to be able to participate.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Dude, Vegomatic is a well respected member of the forum. :) His contribution is valid; vote with your wallet. If you don't like something, air your grievance here and vote with your dollars. Only posting is only half of the feedback.

About a year or so ago we finally convinced Stefan to do an open water pack by raising the issue and people committing (at least on the forum) to buy them when they came in stock. Words and dollars.
Last edited by AnimeSensei on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Mitch
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Mitch » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:22 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 pm
If you don't like it. Don't buy it.
Thank you for you insightful comment and valuable contribution to this discussion. :lol:

You might notice that this forum is for people to post questions to the powers that be. Both BioWizard and myself have come up with possible solutions although we might argue on if there is a problem or not but this sort of discussion is also aimed at suggesting improvements. Will things change for this particular issue? Probably not, but things have changed in the past through community feedback and suggestions but only because that feedback was actually raised.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 pm

If you don't like it. Don't buy it.

Mitch
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Mitch » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 pm

biowizard wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:19 am
Isn't ironic to start a thread called "Grid compatibility... again..." and yet propose to break the grid later after someone nicely explains that it was never broken in the first place?
Huh?

I still see it as not compatible as you can't get a nice grid in the room using the new red column wall pieces since they have a 1.5 inch grid and not a true 2x2.