Grid compatability... again...

Please restrict your posting in this Forum to questions for Jenney.
Jenney will answer questions in the Codex Valoria.
You may carry on discussions in the Pre-Kickstarter News and the Kickstarter 5 Discussion Forums.
biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Grid compatability... again...

Post by biowizard » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:04 am

I'm not sure which "top left" image you are referring to. Please post it if you can.

"KS1 Game Tiles regular 2"*2" wall pieces" AND "KS5 regular wall pieces with red columns on it" have walls that align and this is normal and by design.
walls align.jpg
walls align.jpg (54.96 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

"KS5 regular wall pieces with red columns on it" have walls that do NOT align with walls from passage pieces and this is also normal and by design. Classic KS1 Game Tiles regular 2"*2" wall pieces do not align either with passage pieces. I suggest you go re-read the link I provided. Walls from rooms pieces and walls from passage pieces do not align and they should not align. In short, passage pieces protrude outside the usual 2"*2" footprint that room pieces use.
passage pieces and regular walls don't align.jpg
passage pieces and regular walls don't align.jpg (47.68 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
Please do tell if there is still something not clear.

...(Ninja-ed by JenneyOC)

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:59 pm

Mitch,

That is the design of ALL the KS1 and KS2 and older resin peices (see CBS)... the passages were designed to be with the wall outside of the grid. If you use ANY older resin sets (NOT PASSAGEWAYS) or any KS1, KS2, please go take a look and see that they outside wall has always sat on top of the 2x2 grid. The failure to make true 2x2 hallways was why PASSAGEWAYS were first designed in resin and they were then carried over into Dwarvenite.

If you are trying to explain something that I am not grasping, I apologize, but in that case please provide an IMAGE of what you are discussing. even if it is hand-drawn image. At the current time, there is NO grid incompatibility with these pieces.

Mitch
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Mitch » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:10 pm

The 2x2 floor pieces have a perfect grid (4 one inch squares). The walls with red columns have the columns attached to a bit of floor. This results in their grid being 2 half squares (other half covered by columns) and 2 complete squares. This won't align with a grid from the 2x2 floor pieces. Best example would be to look at the top left Passage - Intersections image (which shows you the layouts you can make with those pieces) and then try and join those to a room made up of red column pieces. If you line up the walls then the floor grid doesn't match (first floor piece as you "step into the room" would not have any walls but the red column pieces to the left and right of the entrance would, hence the grid doesn't match).

Another example but slightly off topic - you can't seem to have a 2 square wide passage (10ft wide in gaming terms) using red column pieces. Minimum is in effect 3 squares since you have 2 complete squares and 2 half squares. This means you can't join normal 2x2 passages to red column passages in nice t-junctions or 4-ways.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:43 pm

Mitch wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:46 pm
So the Passages addon packs work great for people that use the standard square grid for gaming. It's perfect. Love that. However the new column walls use the not so standard grid so you can't use them together. Why? It's Gridgate all over again. :(
Hi Mitch,

I think it is absolutely not Grid gate all over again. Please re-read the following post, especially the first threads posted by me with images on the first page. If you still believe there is a problem with the grid with the current system, please be more specific so that we can understand why you think this system does not work.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5600&p=78491&hilit=101#p78491

I think I should update this 3 year old thread (don't have the time tonight)with the current design of advanced passage pieces so that it is very clear that the present system is totally working with the grid, but as passage pieces.

Jonathan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 pm

The 1x1 Classic Dungeon Corners and 1x1 Classic Dungeon Walls might be a good to include with passages packs. They'd be useful in certain situations for lining things up.

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:57 pm

It's no different from the current passage ways. They work fine together, with no grid alignment issues.

https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/collectio ... 1004910547

Mitch
Goblin
Goblin

Grid compatability... again...

Post by Mitch » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:46 pm

So the Passages addon packs work great for people that use the standard square grid for gaming. It's perfect. Love that. However the new column walls use the not so standard grid so you can't use them together. Why? It's Gridgate all over again. :(