Help with Paints Needed for KS5

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Help with Paints Needed for KS5

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 am

My factory painted KS1 sets appear to be matched without a base gray, stones picked out with Earth Stone, and a final dry brush of a mix of Stone Edge Dry Brush and Olive Dry Brush.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Arbados » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 am

Sorry, a couple of final questions (I think)! It seems that there's different opinions on whether the base gray is necessary. Is it really necessary to use this as the base coat before painting the tiles? Aren't the tiles a gray color to begin with? I was figuring that this wasn't really necessary?

I understand that there are many detailed parts of the tiles that will require a variety of colors. In saying that I already have a good array of paints so I figure I could use what I have to paint the details such as the pillars, door hinges, etc. My real goal is to make the base color of the tile look like KS1.

To achieve that I think the most important colors I need after using the suggestions already posted are Earth Stone (to pick out the individual stones) and Stone Edge Dry Brush (to dry brush the tiles to appear as similar as possible to the KS1 tile color scheme).

Did I miss anything with these thoughts?

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Arbados » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 am

A paint guide would be fantastic! Was any information on this released? I want to make sure I didn't miss it. I think I've been pretty patient ;)

We're getting so close to getting these pieces that I can't wait to be ready with all the glorious paints!

Thanks all for assisting. I really want these pieces to closely match my current ones, but just couldn't afford painted this time around. I enjoy painting so if I can get the colors right and they match my existing pieces I'll be ecstatic!

Memnor

Post by Memnor » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:42 am

This is the info i was given in a reply to an email i sent in last month:
"We will have more info on the paints for Dungeon of Doom later this fall. We will be introducing a paint guide online (from our official painter, Erin) and a few new paint colors. Best to wait for Erin's guide."

Just a little patience.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 am

To match my painted sets, I used a mix of olive dry brush and stone edge dry brush; the factory didn't ever use the base gray. I used earth stone to pick out the individual stones.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:36 am

I don't think we have anything official yet, but it's likely to be the standard Dungeon quartet - Base Gray, Earth Stone, Olive Dry Brush, Stone Edge Dry Brush - plus Deep Lava for the pillars.

For the traps and accents that you'll need a lot of colors for but only in tiny amounts and particularly for the metallic bits, you're probably better off buying small bottles of high quality miniatures paints like Reaper, Vallejo, or Games Workshop. Metallics are tricky beasts, and nobody is likely to need an 8 oz Pokorny-sized bottle of gold paint. =P

Paint catalogue is here:
https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/collections/paint-brushes

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Arbados » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:12 am

Appreciate the responses, but I'm still wondering if anyone knows the base paint colors needed to paint these to match the KS1 tiles? Is there a catalogue for Pokorny Paints? Has Stephan ever stated what color paints are needed?

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:57 am

Pokorny paints are artist's acrylic. Factory paint is enamel-based. There's already a difference right there.
Stefan himself has said many, many times, they try to match the paint schemes between KS's, but it's not an exact science. They are done by eyeballing, and lighting conditions may differ greatly.

You will likely need to do a basecoat. I am assuming that the base Dwarvenite colour for KS5 will more closely match that of KS1 and KS2. Go ahead and watch the original painting vids for KS1. You will probably only need a few base colours with very little mixing to replicate the general colour scheme of KS1.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:45 pm

I do too
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:45 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 pm
The big question unfortunately is what color the base "grey" dwarvenite will be this time. Personally I do not really noticed but some do.

You may need a base coat. Any word from DF on base color this time around?
I really hope it matches KS1 tiles, please lord I hope KS5 unpainted matches KS1.