Post by bernyleung » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:19 am

Trippy! Like anEscher demi-plane!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Constructing labyrinths with KS5 pieces

Post by Oldent » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks zenmaster
I originally tried to follow the photos too closely. I decided on a larger more modular base that created the impression.

I created this facade before elevation blocks where available.Think what you can do with the elevation box if you turn it on end.I did not think to suggest that the inside of the box have texture too.A day late and a dollar short :cry:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:45 am

Oldent wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:14 pm
geekjeff wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 am
Oldent wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 am

Labyrinths? No never entered my mind :lol:
Man, I love that stuff. I can almost smell the Stench of that Bog from here.
Absolutely fabulous set-ups! Thanks for sharing such coolness.

I especially like that Escher-esque stairs setup! Never saw anything like that before.

@geekjeff - I agree that elevation blocks and the KS4 spacers would be great for certain types of labyrinths. If you have them in bulk, you could make something big. I just think all those corners and passage walls could look great making a maze reminiscent of the complex pencil-and-paper mazes. Floored seeing how many corners got put in that Doomroller encounter. I look forward to experimenting. :)
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:14 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 am
Oldent wrote:

:D

Elevation Cubes, yes that is true if you have enough.

I stack the passage tiles for special or one off scenarios. I built the Helping hands special facade because I can pull it out quickly when needed.

The elevation blocks are also extremely versatile.The elevation box has a lot of potential when combined with the stairs and blocks too

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:04 am

If you didn't care for the walls (or needed almost all 5' wide passages) you could get away with a labyrinth completely made of floor pieces.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 am

Oldent wrote:

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:31 am

For that specific style of grid Labyrinth, Doomroller's is actually built pretty inefficiently - you could get the same effect using Elevation Cubes in place of 4x Inside Passage Walls in a few places.

I think judicious use of KS4 Wall Spacers and Corner Wall Spacers has some great potential for building Labyrinths too, if you're careful not to let the scale difference get out of control (or just use the Spacers "above grade.")

If you're looking for a lot of Passage Corners though, especially Inside Corners, that's where the real value of Doomroller's is IMO. That and the Magnetic Trap Stands.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 am

I have enough of the resin passage sets and advance builder sets to make about anything I need. I did not order any new. I think the new version will be more versatile.

I would also trade for the doom ball.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 am

I am planning on taking a good look at my smattering of passage walls and then deciding if I want to go heavy on them.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:08 am

Quick followup:

I think things cleared themselves up in my pledge for the passages at least. The Doomroller Labyrinth offers so many corners it is great for mazes and the sheer number of corner pieces is hard to replicate with passage add-on packs. Since I was already getting Menagerie, Dais of the Dead, Eldritch Pools, and had talked myself into Gorgon Tiers, it was just a matter of justifying the Puzzle Tiles Room to up my Dungeon Level. With the added package savings of ordering Dungeon Level 5 vs. Dungeon 3 and individual encounters, the value is there, so a Dungeon Level 5 pledge makes it all good. Plenty of passage corners, walls, and flooring. No need for any individual passage add-ons, as far as I can figure for my needs.

For those not willing to make that jump, I think a lot of the passage walls can be very versatile in making a good labyrinth setup. The Passage Walls add-on pack gives a lot at a reasonable price. I would have gone that route if I had not upped my Dungeon Level.

------------------------------

@Rabbit Burner - Thanks for the idea about trading. I have never traded before, but I very well might with some KS5 pieces, as I am going a bit overboard rather than sacrificing a fair number of things this time around.

As others have been saying, this will round out the collection for a long while :-).
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.