Shrine of Sysuul vs Forsaken Temple Add-ons

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Shrine of Sysuul vs Forsaken Temple Add-ons

Post by dice4hire » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:03 am

I was playing with trying to make some other encounters with add-ons too, sometimes very easy, other times not so much.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

ebrandeis
Orc
Orc

Post by ebrandeis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:51 pm

zenmaster wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:27 pm
I have been debating this same issue of jade specialness vs non-Jade utility, which has been holding up finalizing my pledge. My best solution, that I am pretty happy with:

The Antechamber 1
The Pit 1
Walls & Pillars 2

Jade Inner Sanctum 1
The Jade Antechamber 1
Golden Walls & Pillars 1
Ancient Pillars - Jade 1
Jade Sysuul 1

This will cost $505 vs the full Jade Shrine costing $523

I ended up cutting the Serpent's Trove, as I am getting all those pieces elsewhere.

By not getting the full Shrine of Sysuul, I think I am mainly only losing out on the --

Golden Forsaken Double Doors, (Getting regular Forsaken Double Doors in Double door pack)
more Forsaken Floors, (I feel I am getting enough as is, and can use other floors with no issues)
more Temple Walls, (I feel every wall being that temple pattern is a bit of overkill anyway)
more LED corners, (Feel more is overkill for sure)
King Cobras, (Can't have everything :P)
Marble Dais pieces, (I am getting Emperor's Palace Megapack, so I will have plenty)

By getting the regular Pit and not the Jade version, I will also lose out on Golden versions of the altar, pillar floors, and some of the other accessories. This is OK by me, as a non-Golden altar and accessories will be much more versatile/credible, I think, for the more common less-than-amazing shrine/temple encounters. I am also getting a Marble pit with the Emperor Palace Megapack

What I will gain, is more freestanding walls, more pillars, and more versatility with the non-Jade, non-Golden pieces, in addition to plenty of Jade and Golden accessories for my needs.

I know I could theoretically trade the unwanted temple floors and jade walls from the full Shrine, but postage and hassle can be avoided by not trading, and being overseas doesn't help that dynamic.

I think this is how I will roll. Good luck to others finding their best solution.
Very similar to my thinking and my final solution as well.

AstroCat
Goblin
Goblin

Post by AstroCat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:27 am

We ended up going with:
The Antechamber x2
The Pit x1
Walls & Pillars x1

Reasoning because the Red integrates way easier with all our other stuff and the Full Red Temple was a bit overkill for this reason. Jade on the other hand doesn't mix as well and would need to be more of a self contained encounter and honestly used a lot less often.

If some Jade is available retail then we will try and pick up some then. Plus, a buddy of mine ordered the Jade temple so I could always use some of his if needed. :)

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:27 pm

I have been debating this same issue of jade specialness vs non-Jade utility, which has been holding up finalizing my pledge. My best solution, that I am pretty happy with:

The Antechamber 1
The Pit 1
Walls & Pillars 2

Jade Inner Sanctum 1
The Jade Antechamber 1
Golden Walls & Pillars 1
Ancient Pillars - Jade 1
Jade Sysuul 1

This will cost $505 vs the full Jade Shrine costing $523

I ended up cutting the Serpent's Trove, as I am getting all those pieces elsewhere.

By not getting the full Shrine of Sysuul, I think I am mainly only losing out on the --

Golden Forsaken Double Doors, (Getting regular Forsaken Double Doors in Double door pack)
more Forsaken Floors, (I feel I am getting enough as is, and can use other floors with no issues)
more Temple Walls, (I feel every wall being that temple pattern is a bit of overkill anyway)
more LED corners, (Feel more is overkill for sure)
King Cobras, (Can't have everything :P)
Marble Dais pieces, (I am getting Emperor's Palace Megapack, so I will have plenty)

By getting the regular Pit and not the Jade version, I will also lose out on Golden versions of the altar, pillar floors, and some of the other accessories. This is OK by me, as a non-Golden altar and accessories will be much more versatile/credible, I think, for the more common less-than-amazing shrine/temple encounters. I am also getting a Marble pit with the Emperor Palace Megapack

What I will gain, is more freestanding walls, more pillars, and more versatility with the non-Jade, non-Golden pieces, in addition to plenty of Jade and Golden accessories for my needs.

I know I could theoretically trade the unwanted temple floors and jade walls from the full Shrine, but postage and hassle can be avoided by not trading, and being overseas doesn't help that dynamic.

I think this is how I will roll. Good luck to others finding their best solution.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:15 pm

I am considering painting my own jade to match the regular walls... leave the jade showing but use regular stone paint instead of gold. I can apply gold to some of the pieces (particularly those wanted in the inner temple). Then the pieces become more useful and i only had to buy one set.

AstroCat
Goblin
Goblin

Post by AstroCat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:53 am

I am in the same boat, one of my final decisions is how to deal with the Jade and Normal Temples. I find the allure of the Jade/Exclusive set pretty tempting BUT I find the usability of the normal one more practical.

Ideal would be to get the Jade full set, and then the individual normal mini-sets, but that puts us over budget!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:43 am

This is a little late, but fwiw...

It also depends on if you're using the Jade Temple or the regular painted one. The regular painted one integrates very naturally with DoD walls, so you're really buying for the bling. You can build whatever you want with whatever you have. If you run out of Temple walls, free-standing or normal, you can just swap in normal DoD walls. Alternate them if you wish, it will look great.

With the Jade Temple, the match isn't quite there. The dais and pit and statues are fine, as are the freestanding walls. But the Jade walls are very distinctive. You get 6 in the antechamber. If you build a sufficiently large square room, with 3 walls on one side and 3 on another, you'll have to use DoD or KS1 walls to finish the room - and IMO it will look odd.

So if you're getting Jade, and you want to do a full scale Temple, the full shrine is probably better for you. If you're getting the regular Temple, you can probably do something very effective even without the full shrine. It's purely up to you about how you want to build.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:40 pm

I like to keep my sets intact. I don't trade (unless it's a full set I'm trading away). I'm a greedy miser. :P
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 am

Do people actually trade significant amounts of DF?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:48 am

ejclason, LadySabelle,

Thank you. I will take another look at it... the extra pieces could be nice... and I had not considered trading... and I just had another thought... I suppose, in the worst case scenario, I could just paint over the jade. <I know, blasphemy, right?>

Anyway... we still have... almost two weeks to figure it out.

I appreciate the feedback!