What Can We Improve for KS6?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What Can We Improve for KS6?

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:07 pm

Scope scope scope has been my common complaint for the last 3 kickstarters. I think I and II were fine, but III, IV and now V were too much. I got my 750 , which will likely be 1000 by the end of the PM, but I anticipate no retail sales here. I bought a ton of KSIII retail, will by a tiny amount of castles, but little or no KSV because I am just getting saturated.

And setup time is just increasing by leaps and bounds. Before it was four pieces in a KSI dungeon basically, piles of three of them and a few doors to round stuff out. Now it is 150 different pieces, perhaps 40 of which could be considered core pieces.

I much prefer easy to difficult and a smattering of cool pieces to a smattering of basic pieces and piles of cool pieces. Everyone should get what they want, but this model is very close to losing me as a customer, which would be a shame.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

artcwolf
Goblin
Goblin

Post by artcwolf » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 pm

I went back and looked at what i paid for KS1 and 2, and wondered why i didn't do KS3 and 4. Then i looked at the price point that i spent today. It hurt and it hurt a lot and that is why i missed the village and castle. I waited until the last minute to pledge because i was $400 over budget but i wanted the lvl 4 dungeon and a few more add-ons. I kicked around so many items i wanted painted but i couldn't afford it. I honestly feel that the price point was the biggest issue, I know i got a lot more stuff than i did in the first two, but i felt i had to spend more because there was not enough cool stuff for the lower end budget. I can swallow a $600 bill easier than at $1200 bill, it also keeps me off the couch with the wife.

Several others have said it before, the number of sculpts while awesome left me struggling wanting all the cool stuff I enjoyed the simplicity of the first 2 KS i love my dungeon and caverns. If you want to do the extra sculpts maybe do a kickstarter of just the extra stuff like the capstones and inserts, and extra stuff like tables and chairs and treasure piles. I like my secret doors and twists and turns, i'm not a big flash kind of dungeon guy. It felt limiting by having to buy the items as you have built the campaign for yourself.

I went with lvl 4 because i wanted more pools because i only got 1 in KS1 and it's red for the chamber of sorrow. I wanted the puzzle tiles and the vaulted walls. I'm not a big fan of the passages, and a lot of the encounters are focused on them. When i priced out the # of walls and corners and the other pieces to match the lvl 4 it was $300 more. Add in painting and now i'm not just $400 over budget i was close to $1000 over budget. I had to settle with dungeon grey and paint it myself. I'm just now getting the time to paint KS2....

Maybe for the next KS, ask the fans what pieces that really would love to get. I'd love to buy more pools. I need a couple more terrain trays. I like the dungeon features, i think most of us have enough tiles themselves but we're limited on the Pieces of Flare.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Another issue related to scope. (And the last post, it turns out.)

The more sets DF introduces, the more sets DF will be able to put in the online store, the more sets they will need to stock at the fulfillment center, the more sets they will run out of at the fulfillment center, the more potential customers will want more restock, the more sets DF will have to order between kickstarters at minimum order levels, and so on and so forth.

Unless DF is planning to secure a warehouse, they might want to think hard about how many new sets they introduce at a time, and how they intend to fulfill online purchases for customers who did not have the opportunity or the means to pledge a kickstarter.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:21 pm

I will join the fray, limited scope please.

Also, I am a veteranised DF customer. This means that I have a lot of pieces. If we continue to do kick starters of this magnitude, I will run out of room to store all of it. I have a war room dedicated to DF, and I am running out of space. Will I continue to purchase? Yes, but in smaller amounts. This time around I didn't purchase the largest pledge. That's new for me. Simply put, I can't keep up even though I love the product.

1-2 themes, and that is all.

I absolutely love the burrows (I will be referencing them as warrens in my party group), and the Jade Ssysuul is just tear-to-the-eye beautiful. These two by themselves are awesome.

I think the idea of smaller KS with RotA new sets (not same, new sculpts) or catacombs is genius.

All that said, the encounters were a great way of presenting the product.

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Big, much, awesome, small, cool, far reaching ... whatever.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Are you saying the KS's are just too...(fill in your own word). I agree. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:06 pm

To period3's point I prefer magnets to LEDS if its a premium piece. I use them more. I like both but I prefer one.

Btw I sense a common theme of scope.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

agro23
Goblin
Goblin

Post by agro23 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:00 pm

More beans. Fewer offerings. (150 is a lot of pieces!) More focus on a single theme.

I like the temple and the burrows but they could have been the basis for their own kickstarters. The forsaken temple could have been part of revisiting CBS with temple exteriors as well; maybe a full ziggurat, soaring columns, arches, carved roof faces, domes, more spires, etc. The burrows could have been part of revisiting caverns or even a new set of outdoor terrain including trees and hill pieces.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:49 pm

1) Make it a bit easier for middle-pledgers in the $1000-$1500 range. At the high end, you have DoD as the obvious choice. At the low end, the number of options is limited so it's fairly easy to pick. At $1000-$1500, it's really difficult.

I'd have liked to have seen a $1000-$1500 DoD lite pledge. The entire DoD, but scaled down. e.g. instead of the temple being three giant rooms, maybe it's just one. Instead of 12 encounters before the lava bridge, maybe it's 6 or 7. The lava bridge might be simpler without so many LED bits and less walls. As it stands, the only way to get something like this is via a lot of add-ons, which don't get any stretch goals. I don't know if I'd go for the DoD lite, since I prefer open areas, but I'd definitely consider it and I think it would help a lot of mid level backers.

2) Make it cheaper. I wouldn't say this except it seems to me that if you drop all these a la carte add-ons and limit the scope, you'll have far fewer molds and SKUs, and can past those cost savings on to the customer.

3) Fewer LEDs. I like LEDs, but the number offered in some sets is a bit excessive. e.g. I think lava bridge had >40. I need to worry about and check all those batteries for leaking as I store them over the years.

4) More pictures. Videos are fine, but for the majority of the campaign the photo album had the same handful of photos in it. The encounters had low resolution that couldn't be seen well.

fstkfstk
Orc
Orc

Post by fstkfstk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:36 pm

KS5.5 Miniatures would be a great improvement since it could thematically "link" to its major (or succeeding major) KS without being cut out due to budgeting. Stand or sink on its own merits. Miniature lines really are a separate business. More Commoners! Restock Commoners!
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria