Alternate paint samples done with Pokorny paints

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Alternate paint samples done with Pokorny paints

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:56 pm

#1 still looks greenish to me. I'm sure it's the lighting. It really should be more grey like #2.

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:50 pm

@pacarat That would be good. I like having more change in tone between the pillars and the bricks. The vaulting can match either. Each part of #3 and #4 looks good to me, but neither really distinguishes the pillar...

I'm actually suddenly really interested in seeing a more red brick (almost like the street sidewalks, maybe darker) wall with maybe grey stone pillars and vaults. That could be really nice and interesting.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:09 pm

I like the stone of #3 with columns of #4.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:17 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 pm
Yep, my favorite is the one we're getting. The others are fun for specific environments, but for a general dungeon I like #1 the best. (Then #2, then #4, then #3) #4 definitely could look creepy with the right add-ons. Looks derelict.
I agree. Yes, I like your idea for #4.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Yep, my favorite is the one we're getting. The others are fun for specific environments, but for a general dungeon I like #1 the best. (Then #2, then #4, then #3) #4 definitely could look creepy with the right add-ons. Looks derelict.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

I colour corrected in Photoshop... does this look a bit better?
alternate-paint-schemes-KS5-fix.jpg
alternate-paint-schemes-KS5-fix.jpg (94.64 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 am

It seems at first glance that the paint scheme of #2 might match the current batch of pre-painted Castle pieces or the stone walls of KS3 better than the factory job. I really like the contrast in #3. #4 looks as if it were one of the other ones except it is covered in a coating of dush, light ash, or spiderwebs - a long-buried tomb, or nearby natural disaster?

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Alternate paint samples done with Pokorny paints

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:29 am

I decided to paint some of the prototypes I got from Valoria. Each of these were done completely with existing paint colors with very little actual mixing, no washes or complex painting techniques. I wanted them to be as simple to do as possible, so that if anyone wanted to try them out, they could. The colors came out a little on the yellow side due to lighting and my camera.
Starting from the left side is:
1-The factory paint job
2-Base gray, cardboard (a few stones, pillars), 50/50 base gray and cavern dry brush, 50/50 base gray and stone edge dry brush
3-Earth stone, base gray (a few stones), cardboard (a few stones), cavern dry brush, stone edge dry brush
4-Olive dry brush, cardboard (a few stones, pillars) cardboard with a tiny tint of terracotta dry brush (a few stones), cavern dry brush, stone edge dry brush
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/