Kryzsko wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:19 am
I have no problem backing KS6 prior to KS5 delivery because I know they will deliver KS5. They have a proven track record. I also don't have a problem with KS campaigns that run a couple months late.
I have heard people complain about CMON having outstanding KS while running another and yet it never seems to negatively impact their current campaign.
I suspect that those of us engaged enough to be active on the forums are also going to be pretty relaxed/reasonable about both concurrent campaigns and delays.
But I also don't think that the majority of the backers visit the forums very often, if at all. I recall seeing substantial grumbling in the KS comments about them running the second while the first hadn't delivered. Even tried talking a few off the figurative ledge, because I too (unsurprisingly) think that after 3 successful campaigns that delivered essentially on time or early, and a 4th that was delayed a bit, #5 really shouldn't be that big a concern. But we don't and shouldn't think we speak for all backers, and there will be some people who find it questionable or frustrating to have a campaign run asking for more money while hundreds or thousands of dollars in product remains MIA from the previous one. Yes, even if it's already in the mail, or being sorted out, unfortunately not everyone has the same level of patience or understanding, and some folks will break earlier than others.
Note, that isn't to say that I think they shouldn't do it, merely that it's a concern, and from statements made by DF, it's also not relevant. Because of reasons that they have (and we don't need to know unless they decide to share them), KS5 fulfillment will apparently not be impacting KS6's campaign.
We just have to recognize that *some* backers or potential backers will find this offputting, should delivery still be underway. Based on the statements about shipping starting in May, and the fact that KS4 (which had substantially fewer backers than KS5) took about 2 months to ship (started in late April, Mid June update said that everything had been shipped at least, so we can expect a little longer at least for the last few to land), I think we can safely assume that KS6 *will* run while KS5 is still shipping.
I can only assume DF knows even better than us backer/comment participants that it's something to get out ahead of, and while we can certainly trust they'll do right by the backers, that doesn't change it being a potential controversy to handle deftly.
Spoken as a fan, but also a realist, and someone who has watched too many KS comments sections tear themselves apart over the years.