Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:52 am

Should be the same as the cavern tiles, based on what I see
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Pizzabagel
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Terrain Trays

Post by Pizzabagel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:43 pm

Won't the magnet add to the weight? Hopefully it will balance out.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Given the latest update for KS5 and the view of the underside of a floor tile, is anyone else worried that they won't have the same pleasing *heft* that the original KS1 & KS2 tiles have because the bottoms are partially hollowed out to allow for the magnet thingy?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 pm

I am looking forward to seeing these in Aaction (well in still photos at least) come April.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Danielg1992
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Danielg1992 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Yea I went unpainted but opted for magnets it was only like 100 dollars for a whole dod where as over 1000 for painting so... a much more cost effective way to save me some time
I just wanna make the tomb of horrors with dwarvenite

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:10 pm

I am totally sold on the terrain trays. At the very least, it is great negative space for water/moat/lava/sewer builds. Looking forward to that. The fact that magnetized pieces will stay fixed in those builds (I am thinking of you, ledges) even if prebuilt, will be incredibly useful.

The prebuilding aspect is great as well. I don't have easy access to home building supplies and such here in HK, and no place for tools anyway, so thin metal sheets are ideal spacewise and will save me a lot of time and hassle, at a cheap price. Much better than DIY options for me. The magnetic aspect means little worry about moving many prebuilt setups around.

The fact that they can be used as good looking elevation floors on their stone side is icing on the cake!

I could not even think about not getting them preinstalled by the factory. Geekjeff pointed out the alternative. My time is worth way more than the time it would take to install all those suckers, not to mention there is no guaranteeing I could do it well or hasslefree.

I am very thankful to DF for introducing this system!
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 pm

My problem is that I have two 5x10 tables, regularly build one out several levels deep, and have built both out four levels deep three times in the lastd eighteen months.

My negative space is going to have to live with cloth.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:23 am

Adam67 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:02 am
The Lava Bridge encounter already comes with two of the big trays. I added a pack of water trays to help with negative space builds along with the awesome edges/ledges. Really, how much space do you have on your table? I think about four trays is what I could handle anyways. I think the real benefit of the trays is to be able to prebuild and then quickly add a section when it is called for and the players can't preview the encounter area. I'm getting magnet everything. It's not the much more to add and I don't want to be caught later wishing I had done it.
Don't forget those effectively "free" Abyssal Vermillion and Savage Gargoyles you get with Lava Bridge Part 2, compared to the cost of buying equivalent ledges/trays/passages/bridge A La Carte!

And yeah, I think about that labor involved in gluing all those magnets... imagining 500+ pieces all lined up on a table awaiting noxious fumey glue which is sure to cake up my fingers (what exciting things can I glue myself to?) and wrangling with 500 magnets, all while saving basically no money. Preinstalled sounds pretty good.

Adam67
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Adam67 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:02 am

The Lava Bridge encounter already comes with two of the big trays. I added a pack of water trays to help with negative space builds along with the awesome edges/ledges. Really, how much space do you have on your table? I think about four trays is what I could handle anyways. I think the real benefit of the trays is to be able to prebuild and then quickly add a section when it is called for and the players can't preview the encounter area. I'm getting magnet everything. It's not the much more to add and I don't want to be caught later wishing I had done it.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 pm

I'm going in lightly on them, want to make sure my pledge includes at least 1 of each flavor in the large size. Negative space builds seem fun. And starting with your base layout and flying in a few new map sections as they're discovered seems killer.

Not sure yet if I'll magnetize everything, or just my prepainted parts (Dungeon Level 4 and a few odds and ends.)

Just given my table, I can't imagine needing more than 4-6 square feet prebuilt for any given session. Your mileage and table size may vary of course, by +/- 40 square feet.

I must admit though, viewing a whole DOD racked up on shelves with 26 Terrain Trays, ready to be deployed in 2 minutes flat would be an amazing sight to behold.