What Can We Improve for KS6?

Adam67
Kobold
Kobold

Re: What Can We Improve for KS6?

Post by Adam67 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:19 am

I'd like to see value come back in the form of reversible things like two sided floor pieces- that is, different motiffs on each side like the terrain trays. Could be dungeon floor on one side, dessert sand on the other, etc., river on one side, forrest floor on the other. You get the idea. I wonder if this creativity could be applied to other pieces, too. A 1x1 block could double as a well when upside down, or an urn or tunnel straight down with rungs....

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 pm

I missed encounter one being basics ala KSI or KSII campaigns. I can support that though I do think encounter I was pretty basic with a good selection though it certainly could have been more basic
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 pm

I guess i look at the KS as the more you spend the more you save... that is the idea at least

otherwise it is just a 10% off, free shipping (for those of us in the US - sorry dice4hire), presale

i went dungeon level 3 simply to take advantage of the extra discount - but i would have rather had encounters like Dias of the Dead, Gorgon Tiers or Eldritch Pools

I like my proposal especially if Encounter 1 is always the basics - corners, walls, floor and a door or two (say 2x the Starter Dungeon Add on) - then the newbies can buy multiple encounter 1's to get base sets
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Then why bother having pledge levels? Just offer them ala-carte and give people the option to buy extra bags if they so desire? With encounters, pledge levels do not make a lot of sense, though I am sure some people liked the small discount for the higher tiers, it was not really much money.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:13 am

I had an idea while posting in another thread, it more correctly belonged here so here i am.

I (and others) have posted about KS5 that it was only optimal if you bought encounters in sequence, leaving many folks who wanted the more complex encounters with far too many pieces from the lower level tiers and those who really wanted only a few specific rooms out of the real discount.

What if the

"1 set" pledge was Zaltar's Gameroom

"2 Set" pledge was Arcane Alcoves & Lever Room

"3 Set" pledge was Deadly Corners, Gauntlet & Acid Bath

""5 Set" pledge was Gorgon Tiers & Puzzle Room

"10 Set" pledge was Eldritch Pools, Doom Roller, Menagerie & Dias of the Dead

etc

obviously it would take some adjusting - but if the $100 tier, $200 tier, $300 tier, $500 tier and $1,000 tier did not over lap then we would all be able to mix an match a little more easily - i think this idea bears looking at - helps the entry level buyer get lots of bread and butter in the initial encounter rooms and helpst the collector (who usually spends more $$$) get the higher level encounters without a lot of basic bits
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Otto Manchesterfield
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Otto Manchesterfield » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:34 pm

Just wanted to add that I found the alternate build photos in the pledge manager to be super helpful in reaffirming my selections. Not sure if this was originally planned or in response to some of the feedback in this thread - but awesome job nonetheless. Thank you!

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:50 pm

lostpict wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 pm
I think DF needs to build in higher inventory carrying costs as part of the KS pricing to ensure that the product is both sustainable at pledge time and post KS delivery.
Yes!

If KS5 runs out of stock as fast as KS4 items did it will be a really bad mistake for DF. I understand why DF did not expect castle items to sell out but they need to be ready for extreme web sales of KS5 items and extreme sales of KS6 items if they do return to caverns for KS6.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:08 pm

lostpict wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 pm
The other thing I recommend is for DF to receive several full production sets of their product way before shipment to the customer, thoroughly test it out, and advise customers of any incoming unintended designed in features and bugs as well as the plan to address these before the customer start to receive and report the issues.
Should have been done at factory before they ever shipped or even better before they produced more than a handful of each component.

Would have nipped errors in the bud - pacman, led column, etc.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:34 pm

The thing I found most frustrating with KS4 was the very limited availability of KS4 product in the on-line shop after deliveries occurred. I spent a considerable amount of time (and money) guessing how I would use KS4 (and KS3 for that matter) once it arrived, but upon delivery discovered I had underestimated some items which will not be available until 2018. That is a bit of a stretch for a product I ordered in 2016. This pattern encourages an all or nothing risk assessment when getting ready to pledge which is probably not conducive to sustained customer loyalty for individuals with financial constraints. The net, is that I think DF needs to build in higher inventory carrying costs as part of the KS pricing to ensure that the product is both sustainable at pledge time and post KS delivery.

The other thing I recommend is for DF to receive several full production sets of their product way before shipment to the customer, thoroughly test it out, and advise customers of any incoming unintended designed in features and bugs as well as the plan to address these before the customer start to receive and report the issues.

Thanks for listening.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Sarducci
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Sarducci » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:24 pm

For what it's worth, I think this Kickstarter was a very exciting experience. I think it was fairly well run, but there is always room for improvement in almost every endeavor. Here are my observations and suggestions.

1). The Dungeon of Doom concept and encounter areas was fantastic. The video walkthroughs were great. The size, however, was too much. I wish I had the funds to go full DoD, but I am going level 4. I will try and get the rest in April, as by then I will have had time to save up more. Should you do a Caverns of Chaos KS, you might consider going smaller, maybe 12 areas and $2000 max. Especially if it can be attached to the DoD for a mega layout.

2). I appreciate that you added to the classic line with LED's, magnets, and a complementary style to allow greater mixing any matching. It's nice that you didn't discontinue the classic line as some companies would have. As a customer I appreciate consideration and that you remember loyalty works both ways. Thank you for that.

3) A smaller, more defined scope. I understand that wasn't really possible in this KS, as you introduced a new style and expanded another. And to be fair, I don't really see this as a major issue for you, but I have seen a trend for each of your lines to grow progressively larger. I can't imagine the stocking issues this KS is going to have.

4). A smaller KS does have one significant advantage, one that many people have been clamoring for. A second, smaller kickstarter later that year. These could be themed in many ways. Dungeon dressing, miniatures, or small additions to lines not addressed in the big Kickstarter. I'm sure you can easily imagine the possibilities.

5) A PDF adventure for the classic dungeon. One that can easily merge with the DoD and the Caverns of Chaos to a truly epic underground campaign. Generate interest and sales is the older line with little investment. Maybe a new encounter style set with the classic theme as a final battle. Instead of the Shrine of Sysul, do a Temple of Horrendous Doom. Most of us have a ton of basic pieces, provide us with (written) inspiration and we will buy a large encounter and maybe an upgrade set.

6) Along the lines of a PM option, put in the option for a deposit, especially for large items. The painted lava bridge is nearly $1000. Or I could get the Shrine and Burrows for the same amount. Or the first seven encounters. To put a 15% deposit on the large pieces could, say, lock in the price for us. But we have 60 days to pay it off after they arrive at your warehouse in April or we forfeit it. And since it is not fully prepaid, we get charged shipping on those items.

7) A suggestion for new sculpts for City Builder. A 2x4 inch wood floor and wall pieces like those stone ones from the Castle Builder. Plus a new set of floors with a dirt finish, like from a stable or hovel. Obviously no stairs, but maybe a trapdoor piece. And stable stalls. Also a set of roofs with wooden slab shingles, and wooden walls like a barn or shanty. Maybe ivy covered walls or brick walls. Just a pitch while I have your attention.

8) Overall I am very happy with your products, and enjoy them very much. I look forward to your next KS and will be better prepared financially for it. Please continue the good work and thank you for reading all of our opinions.