ks5 survey next ks

Tyrant
Kobold
Kobold

Re: ks5 survey next ks

Post by Tyrant » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:04 pm

I am glad that there was a survey. However, I do wish that there had been a way to elaborate on our choices as far as the burrows sets. I know I am not the only one who thinks they look great but had already spent too much on everything else. A "what would you do different?" and possibly a "general comments" question would have been nice as well, though I suppose those types of answers could have been folded into the two open ended questions.

I don't recall how I ranked all of the choices but I do know that I put Underdark, Dark Elves, and Hellscape as my highest interests with Wilderness as my lowest.

ejclason
Kobold
Kobold

Post by ejclason » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:24 pm

My preferences are:

Dwarven Fortress 5
Underdark 4
Ruins 4
High Elven 4
Docks 3
Wilderness 3
Hellscape 2
Dice Tower 1
STL files 1

The thing I want most are mines/passages carved into the rock. My thought is that Dwarven Fortress was most likely to include that.

DullandRusty

Post by DullandRusty » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Most of my gaming tends to be in dungeon castle, cavern type areas typically playing a modified version of heroquest. With that in mind, as someone that is relatively new to DF, I like more things that can be used side by side with this last kickstarter or castle campaign. for example a dwarven theme with stautes, forges, etc can work very well integrating the KSV walls as well as the erinthor mountains (even caverns too). an elven fortress (both dark and regular high elven, although I actually need more high elf for terrain for my upcoming campaigns) would work well integrating with castles. ruins are along the same idea, they can be used and integrated easily with castles or dungeon or city builder depending on the type of ruins.

so my preferences would be:
Dwarven fortress: 5
Elven: 5 (although a high elf would be preferred than dark for me)
Ruins: 4
Wilderness: 3
Hellscape: 2
underdark 1
docks 0

again, as someone new to DF i feel this has the most available integration with prior pieces, so those that have a ton of DF already may fully disagree and look more towards specialization parts like Docks. But I do think for others like myself, this type of approach may net more new users to DF than specializing with docks, etc.

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:03 pm

My characters adventure in ruined/old areas far more than pretty/contemporary areas that more ruins would be great, especially in the common L walls, 2x2 floors and corner pieces. Those are very underrepresented. Yes, it could well be a side set, that would be find with me.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 am
I got the impression burrows didn't sell as well as expected from the survey as well. I agree it was more of a budgetary issue. They weren't NEEDED to go with the rest of the pieces and weren't limited edition like the jade Shrine of Sysuul. They were totally ancillary. Fun, but easily dropped if you had to cut something.
Absolutely. Hard to get excited about them when you were already way overbudget on the other, more commonly needed pieces.

As a counterpoint to some of the more veteran collectors, my survey preference ran

Dwarven Fortress (FORGE) 5
Docks 5
Wilderness 5
High Elven 4
Ruins 3
Underdark 2
Hellscape 2
Dice Tower 2
STL files 1

I don't have any docks or wilderness terrain at the moment, only 2D maps or mats. Dwarves are my favorite fantasy race to build or run adventures around, so Dwarven Forge really needs to create a DWARVEN FORGE :-).

I know some people are crazy for Ruins, but it seems like DF is offering some ruins with every set. There are already Castle and City Ruins sets available. Yes, add appropriate ruins sets to each KS, but personally don't see how they need their own huge theme. I would not spend on the specialization of the Underdark/Hellscape themes as the modular stuff I already paid a lot for works just fine for those for us :-).
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Oldent wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:29 pm
Gargs454 You made a good point about bread and butter. However, I have 20 years worth of bread and butter.
Aye. What perhaps wasn't clearly expressed in my initial post was that while having a good selection of bread and butter is really key (imho), especially if you can get multiples of those bread and butters, it is still good to add in the bling or more specific stuff as well. Take the DoD for instance. The walls and floors are the basic bread and butter (plus doors I suppose). Each encounter had a fair number of each. However, there were still things like daises, the bridge, led pieces, Doomroller, ossuaries, elevation boxes/pieces, etc. that were sprinkled in either via core elements of an encounter or via add ons that would help out those who have the long purchase history and tons of inventory already. The majority of the walls etc, though were still "vanilla" in that they would easily fit into just about any setting with really only the Shrine feeling very specific and distinct. So really, I consider KS5 to have largely hit what I was looking for in that regard. That's why even with a wilderness or docks theme, etc., I would still advocate other, more specific, additions provided there are still options for those with smaller budgets.

Good point about the availability of other types of terrain pieces like trees. That's definitely true, but I have to admit I would certainly still take a look at anything DF had to offer given their history of delivering really great products -- especially if it was packaged with other goodies in a KS.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Gargs454 You made a good point about bread and butter. However, I have 20 years worth of bread and butter.

" I think with a wilderness theme, a lot could be accomplished with negative space via terrain trays. Large trays for grasslands with some dwarvenite tree stumps, boulders, camp sites, makeshift fortifications, fences, etc. would go a long way while also keeping production costs down somewhat."

I think the negative space point is the most practical.

All of the items you have suggested are already available. The Fire and ICE trees have a very low price point. I did not pledge for any because I already have enough trees. I will replace the plastic foliage on the old forest weidwood tree with clump foliage and flock.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Had to e-mail Jay, but finally got my survey! :D

Underdark Caverns Terrain 5
Dwarven Fortress Terrain 4
Dark Elven Stronghold Terrain 4
Ruins Terrain 3
Docks 2
Wilderness Terrain 1
Hellscape Terrain 1

Can't quite remember - was there a survey after Castles?

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:40 pm

For me, I went with Wilderness/Docks as the highest, though I will admit that with docks I would love for there to also be boats/ships. Then I had the Dwarven/Elven fortresses with the hellscape following before the rest brought up the rear.

What I want most out of all of it is stuff that is sufficiently versatile as to be usable often (which I realize doesn't necessarily bode well for docks/boats). However, even with docks, if done right, I would think that they could be used as part of a warehouse district as well, using the wood planking for loading docks on a warehouse, etc. This was also what put things like the dwarven/elven/hellscapes lower down for me. I am sure that they will look awesome. However, I think to how often I would use them during the course of a campaign and it makes it harder for me to justify the cost. All of those are likely to encompass a relatively small number of encounters over the course of the campaign, cool though they may be.

This was the same problem I had with burrows. I think the burrows look really, really cool and would be fun to use. However, I also don't foresee me using them for more than a couple of encounters over the course of an entire campaign. I mean sure, I might think of a couple of other uses as well, but overall, they would see very little use comparatively. This, coupled with the cost (which I do think is actually appropriately costed) makes it a difficult sell for me.

Now with Wilderness focus, I think that they actually could incorporate a fair amount of this stuff into the same KS. Start with a few basic wilderness sets (basic grasslands, forests, hilly/mountainous) and then build from there. You could have some basic cavern pieces which then incorporate into an encounter. In the cavern, you could have an encounter that includes a mine cart/track. All of it could build up to a the final encounter at the dwarven (or dark elf) stronghold which might be a really large encounter (akin to Shrine or Lava Bridge) but is still only one encounter. The stronghold (especially the dwarven one) would even complement the Castle Builder sets well (presumably) but wouldn't be the focus for those who are looking for pieces to use week in and week out. Those who want it, could get it, while those who are focused on the more basic pieces could skip it and think about it for later.

Assuming that the burrows didn't sell well, I think this was part of the problem. They were very niche, but on top of that, you also had the Shrine encounter which is also fairly niche and had limited edition options on top of it. The Shrine pieces look beautiful but don't mesh well with the rest of the DoD (for purposes of using them as basic bread and butter building blocks). So if you were looking to get your foot in the door with some bread and butter and then wanted to add some spice, you were looking at two interesting, but "expensive" (again, appropriately costed) options, but one of those options also had limited edition options and a bit more usability as even though I think the Shrine is pretty distinctive, I could still envision a campaign where the pieces get a fair amount of use. All of this made it seem more and more likely to me that the Burrows were going to get pushed to the back burner for a lot of people (at the risk of making assumptions as to what other people thought).

As an aside, I think with a wilderness theme, a lot could be accomplished with negative space via terrain trays. Large trays for grasslands with some dwarvenite tree stumps, boulders, camp sites, makeshift fortifications, fences, etc. would go a long way while also keeping production costs down somewhat. Might make it easier to add in things like Underdark caverns and the like.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:25 pm

"Not 100% sure what's meant by "underdark" though"

A valid point everyone doe not exclusively play D&D.
Underdark is a D&D setting in caverns with lots of spiders and lots of purple.
link for photos https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Un ... ORM=HDRSC2 think the dark D&D elven stronghold or spider temple would fit well in this theme.

"The dwarven and elvish sets sound great but I think I would like those in the vein of the Temple of Sysuul style - meaning that it's a "set" within the next Kickstarter but NOT what the whole Kickstarter revolves around. Same for ruins."

Also an out standing point.

"I'm torn on wilderness. I'd really love to see some types of Dwarven Forge for outdoor use BUT I'm a little leary after the Erinthor Mountains. Don't get me wrong, I love that set but it also really annoys me at the same time. The fact that they made the "backs" the open part of the tile as opposed to the "bottoms" has really, really bugged me. I am often limited to my arrangements because I can't let the backs show. I guess the whole point was that the tops were mossy and the bottoms were more rocky so you could flip them but I have WAYYYYYYY more interest in not having the backs be open. If they do something like this again for an outdoor terrain I would seriously consider not getting them because of that fact alone."

The backs are open? If that is so you saved me some money. Thanks, iceycat

I would love a temple of the spiders or a hall of the dwarf king. I have no interest what so ever in an out door grid or PVC/plastic trees.I have shared my ideas for tree houses.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!