Orc
Orc

Re: City Builder Synergy

Post by 93x74R » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 am

Vegomatic wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 pm
Otto Manchesterfield wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am
Thanks for the suggestions and good information everyone. After re-watching the double doors hands on video I'm still on the fence. Vegomatic, if you wanted to post a photo I wouldn't complain :)
Pictures... hmmm...

Almost none of my dwarvenite is painted... so you will have to bear through dungeon gray

Hope this helps!
This is awesomely helpful. Now I am kicking myself even harder for not getting a couple of mountain sets in the KS.

Rabbit Burner
Orc
Orc

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:44 am

ebrandeis wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:16 pm
I was playing around with a 3D print (demon face) I'm doing for Archimagus and got inspired to mix stuff up from KS1, KS3, and KS4, along the amazing gelatinous cube I picked up here.

These tests make me really excited for the additional elevation options coming with KS5!
I'm sorry we just cant buy into this right now.

Where is the Gelatinous Cube's motivation for roaming these darkened halls ?
How does it get upstairs without losing its lunch?
What's its name? do you even know? have you even asked it? (we suggest 'Dave' btw)
and probably the most troubling how does a Gelatinous cube reproduce? Binary Split? Gelatinous Tinder?

Love the builds btw great job with the demon face :D
I am the Game and I want to Play

ebrandeis
Orc
Orc

Post by ebrandeis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:16 pm

I was playing around with a 3D print (demon face) I'm doing for Archimagus and got inspired to mix stuff up from KS1, KS3, and KS4, along the amazing gelatinous cube I picked up here.

These tests make me really excited for the additional elevation options coming with KS5!
Small Elevation Test.jpg
Small Elevation Test.jpg (76.14 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Large Elevation Test.jpg
Large Elevation Test.jpg (124.76 KiB) Viewed 457 times

Otto Manchesterfield
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Otto Manchesterfield » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:05 am

Awesome post, thanks Vegomatic!

Danielg1992
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Danielg1992 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:27 am

@rabbit that's why I didn't buy more of those trays cause I can't raise my floors cheater style if I need extra and make solid will city build haha
I just wanna make the tomb of horrors with dwarvenite

Rabbit Burner
Orc
Orc

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:08 am

Blimey!

Had known you could use CBS posts to raise up Castle floors, but had not realised you could slot CBS walls in between .... Cool :)

Thanks for the pictures Vegomatic most informative ...... can feel the Bunny Hive Mind creative juices starting to bubble
I am the Game and I want to Play

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 pm

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am
Thanks for the suggestions and good information everyone. After re-watching the double doors hands on video I'm still on the fence. Vegomatic, if you wanted to post a photo I wouldn't complain :)
Pictures... hmmm...

Almost none of my dwarvenite is painted... so you will have to bear through dungeon gray examples.

I started with an 8x8 Erinthor Mountain floor as it is Dwarvenite like the 8x8 floors in the DoD.

So this is a mountain floor and a bunch of stone City Builder corner posts and double posts.
01 - Mountain Floor and Posts.jpg
01 - Mountain Floor and Posts.jpg (145.59 KiB) Viewed 519 times

Here I have inverted the floor so you can see the holes for the posts... note there is one in each corner, two next to each other in each side and one in the center.
02 - Inverted Floor and Posts.jpg
02 - Inverted Floor and Posts.jpg (102.81 KiB) Viewed 519 times

Putting a post in each corner, and at least one in each side and one in the middle is very important with the dwarvenite floors... they will sag if not supported properly (there are images of sagging floors in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8315 ). The Gorgonite (or Dwarvenite-G) floors are rigid and do not sag. Note that double posts or two corner posts can be used in the side-by-side holes (double post on left, two corner posts on right)
03 - Inserting Posts.jpg
03 - Inserting Posts.jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 519 times

In this image we have all the posts in place and turned the floor over to show it as elevation with the sides open.
04 - Standing up.jpg
04 - Standing up.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 519 times

So now I add walls... I am putting the walls in upside down so that they are right side up when I flip the assembly over. Note that one side I put solid stone walls and on the other I did a door and arrow slits.
05 - Adding Walls.jpg
05 - Adding Walls.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 519 times

Here is what it looks like with the door side showing... the photo is darker than I would have liked, but it is viewable:
06 - Upright Walls.jpg
06 - Upright Walls.jpg (68.17 KiB) Viewed 519 times

And if you were wanting to use it as an elevation in a dungeon you might have solid walls like this:
07 - More Walls.jpg
07 - More Walls.jpg (71.42 KiB) Viewed 519 times

And finally a photo from back a little further from an angle:
08 - Angled.jpg
08 - Angled.jpg (116.52 KiB) Viewed 519 times

Do those images demonstrate what you are looking for?

Remember the DoD is coming with pillars that can work in place of the corner posts as elevation supports (like image 4 above)... but don't expect them to hold City Builder walls. Also note that I do not recall them saying explicitly that the holes would be the same as they are on the mountain (or castle) 8x8 floors, but I expect them to.

Hope this helps!

Otto Manchesterfield
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Otto Manchesterfield » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 am

bernyleung
Ogre
Ogre

Post by bernyleung » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Wouldn't it be interesting if DF could make a more "efficient" elevation system for the 8x8s rather than use 4 corner posts, 4 double posts, and 8 CBS walls?

Why not a Dwarvenite(-G?) wall that was the same width as 2 CBS walls and 1 double post, or basically a long extended wall that's about 7.25" long? They could make one set as a stacked stone wall and another set like a natural rock face (that could even protrude a little at the base). I know this means new steel moulds but could be viable as an alternate type of elevation pack that's not a box like a KS5 one. I mention D-G here only because it's probably cheaper to produce that a solid piece of Dwarvenite and is not really considered "gameable" space anyway (just nice visual space).

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 pm
Hi everyone,

Now that the pledge manager is locked it, I'm starting to think about pieces in the shop that I might want to pick up.

My pledge includes four double doors, and I realized late in the game that the frame also works with walls from the city builder set. Since I missed the city builder kickstarter I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone have any recommended sets to grab to get a few walls that would also provide some utility? Cottage and Ruins both seem like they might fit the bill. I'm not keen on getting tons of walls since I can only use four at a time right now. Any other sets I should consider?

2) Do the city builder corner posts work with any of the DoD tiles?
Hi Otto,

The new dungeon of doom large floor tiles have holes in the bottom for the column posts to hold up the floor for elevation.

The Castle Builder large floor tiles (and mountain floors) also have holes in the bottom for City Builder System (CBS) posts. The spacing of the holes is such that when using CBS corner posts, a CBS wall fits perfectly between them (as if it was designed that way! ;) ). So when you create an elevation you can enclose it with CBS walls.

If the holes in the DoD large floors are configured the same, and I expect/hope they are, then the CBS corner posts and walls should be usable with those floors as well.

As a side note: When assembled this way, the floor piece is the top... so you are creating an elevated platform... whereas in CBS the corner posts push into the top of the floor leaving the the top of the room open for easy access during game play... so if you should decide to create a large CBS building with a castle/mountain/dod large floor as the floor, the floor tile will be inverted and have no texture (hence the point made in previous comments regarding drilling holes). Hopefully that made sense.

If you want a photo of corner posts used with castle floors, let me know and I will throw one together when I have a few minutes.