Shrine of Sysuul vs Forsaken Temple Add-ons

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Shrine of Sysuul vs Forsaken Temple Add-ons

Post by LadySabelle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Vegomatic wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:21 am
I wanted both paints for the temple... but budget is interfering so I am considering building a temple with add-ons to get some of both...

2 Antechambers
1 The Pit

1 Antechamber Jade
1 Inner Sanctum Jade.
1 Walls and Pillars Golden

This way I get both jade and non-jade pieces, but only enough Jade pieces for inner temple to be jade. The outer temple is regular stone. The non-jade pieces are less specific and will blend better with the regular stuff.

Not sure this is the best way to go... but it seems to fit my budget better overall.

So something like this is another option... anyone have any feedback?

Thanks!
Try looking at the make up of the 2 options. As ejclason said, you'll be getting fewer temple walls and floors with the add-on option. So if they are a priority, getting a shrine is the better deal. If you are just wanting pieces to add a bit of flavor to a more standard dungeon, then your add-ons will work beautifully. You'll be getting a few more bling pieces than with the straight shrine. Since the antechamber is the only add on to get the temple walls, your combination is most logical choice.

Another option would be to get a jade shrine then trade for some non-jade. There are probably going to be some fans wanting a few jade pieces after the KS. Jade will likely have a stronger trading power when they are no longer available in the DF store. Which is another good reason to snag more jade now, you can always buy more of the standard pieces later.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

ejclason
Kobold
Kobold

Post by ejclason » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:23 am

If you want both Jade and non-Jade, that may be the way to go. However with 3 Antechambers you end up with more LED corners (12) which are expensive, and fewer snake walls (18) and floors (24), then you would for a Shrine of Sysuul.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:21 am

I wanted both paints for the temple... but budget is interfering so I am considering building a temple with add-ons to get some of both...

2 Antechambers
1 The Pit

1 Antechamber Jade
1 Inner Sanctum Jade.
1 Walls and Pillars Golden

This way I get both jade and non-jade pieces, but only enough Jade pieces for inner temple to be jade. The outer temple is regular stone. The non-jade pieces are less specific and will blend better with the regular stuff.

Not sure this is the best way to go... but it seems to fit my budget better overall.

So something like this is another option... anyone have any feedback?

Thanks!

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:29 am

@Lady Sabelle,

Thank you so much for the info! Extremely helpful in thinking about my decision. Really appreciate it!
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:52 am

Well, with the encounter you'll be getting 14 more jade walls, 6 more LED corners, and 17 more floors. (Not to mention some dais pieces) Whereas with the add-ons you get a lot more of freestanding walls and corner pillars.
So what is more important to you? More jade walls and snake floors or more freestanding walls and pillars?

Let me give you an example of the cost if both pledges had roughly the same number of basic parts to compare the cost: (note: I am not suggesting you increase your pledge, just trying to establish the value of the types of pieces)

To get roughly equal number of walls/floors/corner/freestanding walls/corner pillars, you'd need 2 additional jade antechambers in your second option and subtract the 2 walls and pillars. That would cost you an additional $168. (plus $218 but minus $50). So the total for option one is $523 vs $586 for option 2.

Adding the 2 walls and pillars sets to both options increases the totals by an equal $50 but it felt more complicated than just taking them out of the equation.

I hope this makes sense. It's past my bedtime and I'm a little loopy. Bottom line is, if you want the extra walls, floors and LED corners get the shrine encounter. If you don't, do the add on route. If you really want all the walls/pillars/floors/corners, get a shrine plus the 2 walls and pillar packs.

Edit to add: There are a few other differences worth mentioning. Add-on gives you 2 braziers and 4 serpent orbs but the shrine gives you double doors, a freestanding door, and an extra king cobra.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Shrine of Sysuul vs Forsaken Temple Add-ons

Post by zenmaster » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:38 am

One of the last tough decisions I am making on my PM pledge is whether to go with a full painted Jade Shrine of Sysuul Encounter at 523$ or all the Forsaken Temple Jade add-ons for 418$ (Antechamber, Inner Sanctum, Pit, Trove of the Serpent, Sysuul mini, Walls and Pillars both Golden and regular)

I have been up to my eyeballs in spreadsheets and tiny encounter graphics trying to figure out piece count differences, so I haven't yet done the in-depth analysis of what extra the full encounter will get me. Definitely a lot more floors and walls it seems. Not sure if they will be worth the extra 100+$ of the full encounter price.

I originally felt I could use pieces from other encounters with the Forsaken add-on sets fine to make a Shrine of Sysuul myself. As a Dungeon Level 3, Menagerie, Dais of Dead, Eldritch Pools, + add-ons backer, I should have plenty of pieces. The lure of making a fully themed Shrine of Sysuul beckons a bit though, and I have to see exactly what pieces i am getting for that extra 100+$

Has anyone else ran through this calculus yet? Any thoughts welcome, quantitative or qualitative. Thanks.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.