The Confusion with a Simple Pledge?

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Re: The Confusion with a Simple Pledge?

Post by LadySabelle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:21 am

You said you liked Zaltar's game room, so just get dungeon level 1. That saves you the $10. Then you can add any of other encounters or add-ons, no problem.

If you're also wanting the Lever Chamber, it's worth it to jump up to DL2, IMO. The walls of force could be used to stand in for just about any magical barrier. And you can always trade/sell the few passage walls if you really don't like them.

Then grab the gorgon tiers and just the puzzle floor tiles and magnetic traps instead of the whole puzzle floor encounter. That will give you the fewest number of passage pieces. (unless you really want the riddle pillars)

That will put you at $770 (painted) or $519 (unpainted) with a good mix of usable pieces to compliment your KS1 stuff and plenty of room to spare for other add-ons.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:01 am

I ended up getting Dungeon Level I because of the 10 (actually with shipping 28 to Japan) charge and I like Zaltar's Gameroom. I think it has a great variety of pieces. I know DF has to do that as a person might order one or two add-ons and they get hit with a higher shipping charge. I wish it would go away when the pledge got bigger.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Arbados » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:27 am

All ideas and suggestions appreciated! Keep 'em coming! I have held off on my pledge till next week considering all the great advice. I'm struggling with going for the "Add-On" pledge or a set pledge right now. You get more for pledging to a set, but you get much of what you don't want! I really hate that $10 charge as well to simply purchase choice items! WHY!! Not great! I feel I get charged simply to choose items I want? I don't like that!

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Arbados » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:19 am

Awesome suggestions and points! Thank you ALL!! I'd be happy to hear more if offered as I still haven't made my pledge. As of now I think I'm taking the method of seeing what I WAN'T and what I DON'T. I'll then check what offers me the best choice. I'm not a passages guy, nor a Shrine of Sysuul so those will NOT be included in my pledge. I'm a very strong Puzzle Floor, Zaltar's Game Room, Lever Chamber and Gorgon Tier Guy!

ejclason
Kobold
Kobold

Post by ejclason » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:13 am

I started by deciding how much basic Vaulted stuff (walls and corners) I wanted and selected the pledge level that contained that much. Dungeon Level III in my case. Then I figured out what things I wanted that weren't included in my basic pledge and added add ons for them.

I figure pledge levels are the best deal. But once I have all the basic Vaulted (and Passages) I wanted, no sense in getting more at a higher pledge level, so use add ons for the rest.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:24 pm

hadn't seen those photos before - awesome visualization of what you can do with a comparitively small budget
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

ObLaDi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ObLaDi » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:44 pm

You might find that the sample configurations that we put together at this link might help:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO ... 5ZbnJNUnhB

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:57 pm

It can help to break down the Encounters into categories, and consider what kinds of dungeons you like to build - dense mazes, or discrete rooms interconnected with the iconic ol' 10ft passages. Encounters (excepting Khri Colony and Sysuul) generally fall into the Wall-centric category or the Passage-centric category.

Since you already seem to have a Dwarven Forge collection started I would suggest figuring out what types of layouts you lean towards - if you like the Passages style pick 2 of that type Encounter and 1 Walls Encounter to get a taste of the new style. If you tend towards the dense mazes, pick 2 Walls Encounters and 1 of your favorite Passages type. Then, fill in with Addons to simulate any other Encounters you really dig and feel like you're missing.

Some of the Encounters aren't totally intuitive which category they fall into, as some big square rooms are built almost entirely with Passages.

Walls-heavy Encounters:
Zaltar's Gameroom
Lever Chamber
Deadly Corners
Gorgon Tiers
Eldritch Pools
The Menagerie
Dais of the Dead
Lava Bridge parts 1 & 3

Passage-heavy Encounters:
Arcane Alcove
The Gauntlet
Acid Bath
Doomroller's Labyrinth
Lava Bridge part 2

Mixed:
Puzzle Floors
Lava Bridge - full Encounter

So you could pick say, Gorgon Tiers and Lava Bridge part 2, and have a solid chunk of both Vaulted Walls and Passages to build most other encounters, and fill in the more unique pieces with addons. Pick the sets with your favorite capstones/critters to start.

Khri Colony and Shrine of Sysuul are special cases of course, very distinctive designs and either you have to have them or don't. They're broken down pretty well in addons though, such that you can get a pretty nice and functional sampler of either for about $250 (unpainted).

Burrows Sampler:
Chambers x1
Tunnels x2
Elevation x1
Accessories x1

Shrine Sampler (regular or Jade):
Antechamber x1
Pit x1
Inner Sanctum x1
Walls & Pillars x1
Fill out with regular dungeon walls as needed to make it bigger.

If you find yourself inching over $300 unpainted building a Sampler of either Burrows or Shrine, you should probably just consider buying the whole encounter instead. There is a nice price break/extra pieces included in the whole sets.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:26 am

It might also help to open the KS pages in multiple side-by-side windows so you can put various encounters and add-ons on your screen at the same time for easier comparison.

I gave up trying to figure out Encounters and stretch goals. I went build-your-own, add-on options only. Totally worth it.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 am

LadySabelle is right that spreadsheet is very helpful. And I know what you mean Arbados I could take my pledge dollars and spend it in so many ways. I decided that since I have so many KS1 tiles to avoid encounters that have a lot of classic pieces. And while I love some of the big rooms I just can not fit them into my budget. I think dice4hire's idea of first cutting what you do not like helps unless of course like me you like almost everything.