Who LOVES the new passage design?

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Re: Who LOVES the new passage design?

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:41 pm

I am pretty sure we will offer an add on set of just these "advanced builder" type "full square" pieces...many more add on sets are coming, we know there is wanting of them...we just wanted to start off this KS directed mainly at Newbies...we know our veterans have faith to watch till the end:)

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:10 pm

I think there are lot of people who are very enthusiastic about the passage walls. So, if you happen to get a bunch you don't need, I think there's a big secondary market for them. Or maybe something to trade for.

Thunder
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Thunder » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:08 pm

I really like the new passage system. It allows me to do a lot of things I have always wanted to do:

1) Use the Water tiles, and put a wall directly adjacent to the water edge. Currently, I have to use either a free standing wall, or put the wall/floor tile backwards.

2) Use Ice,Lava,etc. floor tiles and put a wall next to them.

3) Put a wall on other manufactures floor tiles that DF doesn't make.

4) It allows me to use cardboard tiles from the old D&D tile sets and put walls adjacent to them.

Peace

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:46 am

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:14 am
The new designs are most helpful if you want to copy popular modules more precisely:)
Yes, and it is a very good idea.However, I have been collecting this stuff from the beginning. I would only ever have a need for a few.The encounters are very cool but they are not configured in a way that is cost effective for me.

I will purchase I,III and XII and add ons. The double doors for example will be very useful for me. LEDs add ons will let be relax and choose a few more of the beautiful encounters that you have worked so hard on.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:21 am

Are those pieces underneath just a thin layer of dwavenite painted as the photos are prototypes?

I like pieces to help build modules but have a lot of passages already hmm...

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:14 am

The new designs are most helpful if you want to copy popular modules more precisely:)

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:39 am

After taking a longer look, I do wish Encounter Levels 1, 4, 6, 7, and 12 didn't have the passage entry pieces. I think those are unnecessary for the Encounter as a whole. Being forced to get a floor tile and two passage walls seems like a waste (albeit small) but things do add up. Couldn't those have just been part of adding the Gauntlet Encounter #5.
Wish I could get E1, E3 and E7 (without the two floor tiles and 4 passage walls in E1 and E7) as a Pledge Level for the additional stretch goals as a Dungeon Level III, without having to get an E5 to get there. Hope some different Pledge Levels are added to the KS later.

EDIT - Every Dungeon Level above III has the E5- Gauntlet included.
So, we can't get to the higher SG's without including some passages?
Oh well, seems, um, how should I put this, "forced".
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:36 am

I never pledged for the KS1 type passages when offered in KS2. They were a good add if that was all you have, but it seemed like the packs were arranged oddly. I'm not sure about this, but when the KS1 type passage were offered I thought the four different pack's arrangements seemed rushed or they just did not seem apportioned correctly for best use of the pieces. Also, since I have a nice quantity of older resin passages I felt I wasn't missing out on anything I needed.

I'm not going to say I dislike the new passage idea, but I will probably still use my resin passages for that purpose. Put me in the category of 'very neat idea" but not totally "in love" with the new concept. Maybe that will change if there is a better explanation of how they all go together without seeming fiddly. Maybe a video using them would help sell me. I know some out there like freestanding walls, but I prefer floors attached, only because the smallest of touch can topple the freestanding pieces over. I will give this some thought over the next 3 weeks though.

I do like minutiae, but I had created that on my own for my KS1 pieces prior to even KS3 launching with a few cuts here and there on my KS1 game tiles. ;) Like I said earlier, I will give this time to sink in to see if I get any.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 am

arsthein wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:00 am
Stormfury wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:36 pm
There would be bigger fanfare if we didn't have 100s-1000s invested in the old passages. Don't really want to double up on all that stuff and have no one to sell it too to replace, so.. Yeah.
Same here. Good for new people I guess and for fans who like the minutiae of building exactly what they want but this come too late for me, and I even like more the big pieces. Easy to use.

Greetings,
I am glad DF will have both. The bigger pieces for quick set ups and the smaller ones if one needs to do a passage very precisely in their games.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:00 am

Stormfury wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:36 pm
There would be bigger fanfare if we didn't have 100s-1000s invested in the old passages. Don't really want to double up on all that stuff and have no one to sell it too to replace, so.. Yeah.
Same here. Good for new people I guess and for fans who like the minutiae of building exactly what they want but this come too late for me, and I even like more the big pieces. Easy to use.

Greetings,