Painted prices

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Painted prices

Post by William » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:58 am

Don't be bummed, I'm happy. It's a little free-ing. ;)
I still love it all, Stefan and crew are wonderfully talented. I'm just done buying stuff for awhile. Medical expenses are my main reason I'm getting out. If I win a lotto before the PM ends, I'll jump back in, but we hardly ever buy tickets, sooooo...'?'. I just wish the last two KS's were spread over about seven or eight years. It's all just too much for me and my wife, where we are in our life right now. I'll be around posting pictures and stuff, it'll just be older pieces. b :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:33 am

I'm bummed for you William - just too much awesome - Stay at 10, add double doors and an advanced builder and be happy!

It is easy for me to recommend ideal pledges for low budgets (my friend is in for $100 and we did really well for him) but far harder to restrain myself
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:49 am

kitenerd wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:29 pm
KS IV got out of hand and i felt icky - i halved my pledge and felt better

KS V got out of hand and i just keep upping my pledge - i like dungeons and traps - but i am at 150% of my "hard" cap... i have about 24 hours to bite the bullet or invent a more sane pledge
I felt real icky and was only in at encounter #1 with a total of $120.
I have just dropped to $10 and feel fine with it. I guess this one has broken my addiction. :)

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:15 am

kitenerd wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:29 pm

KS V got out of hand and i just keep upping my pledge - i like dungeons and traps - but i am at 150% of my "hard" cap... i have about 24 hours to bite the bullet or invent a more sane pledge
Bite! Bite! Bite!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:29 pm

"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Well, with the mega packs and troves out, should satisfy everyone.

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:33 pm
Even if I was able to spend $1500 I'd feel outpriced in this KS. .... snipped....
I'm finishing KS5 with a big sigh. Not baited excitement or the feeling that I got an amazing deal. It was nice (and much more organized), but I'm more of an observer rather than participant.
It's really sad to spend $1000-1500 and feel negative about your purchase. I get that I can't own a Lamborghini but I need a car so I buy the pinto. I'd love to have a yacht, but I don't need it so I don't buy a rowboat. Sadly. DF is pushing towards the latter for me. :(

Totally agree with you on the simple enhancement pieces. Heck, I'd be ok with DF if they sold the original KS I pieces again for folks that missed out, with the molds already built this would be significantly more profit for them. I'd have loved to see enhancements like the bigger floors you mentioned and an original KS I corner secret door. That's a great piece but impossible for some reason to buy without spending $100+. When I have to spend $100-120 for a single piece, I'm finding myself in the Lamborghini shop again...

I do really appreciate that they helped us out by breaking out puzzle pieces, Cages, Traps, etc. Mystic Trove helped a ton too as I didn't really want half of the stuff or more in the Gorgon Level. If it only had the elusive Corner Secret door...! :)
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Even if I was able to spend $1500 I'd feel outpriced in this KS. Sure I'd be able to get most useful stuff and one or two of the big new things, but it would still be just a taste. My meager $300 or so budget (maybe a little more in pledge manager) means I get maybe 3-4 things that I'd like. The Jade stuff is a no-brainer, if I had the money, but I'm not spending everything just to get a limited edition set. Though the fact that it is limited edition requires me to consider it as an option which complicates my decision process.

For careful shoppers like myself, who look for good deals and try to project what I really will use and want, these Kickstarters are getting less and less fun. Sure it is fun to see the cool stuff designed, but it is like window shopping for clothes or cars you cannot afford - it's fun to imagine what rich folks get to enjoy. The first two Kickstarters were were simple decisions, how much core stuff do I want or need, plus a few add-ons. I didn't get a couple add-ons in KS1 and KS2 but they were more about getting extra quantity of special pieces. Now it is about missing whole themes.

Sure this KS has been big, but it required way more effort and manpower from Dwarven Forge than KS1 did. So it is less efficient. It's a success, but I'm concerned about sustainability and availability of stock. I'd rate it a success with a big asterisk. The reason it is harder to get new costumers is KS1 was marketed as a cheaper and more durable option to classic resin. KS5 is clearly about as expensive as resin, but still more durable.

It also feels like there were simple pieces that were omitted here in favor of more complicated pieces. My favorite dungeon piece is the 45 degree wedge, it allows for very cool designs (I'd buy packs of them). I wanted to see more simple things like that. Where is a plain 4x4 floor for building big rooms fast (I don't always want fancy large floors)? How about a plain or slightly fancy 2x4 or 2x6 wall like in resin advanced builders? They figured out how to do large pieces, but a non LED one would be cheaper and handy. What about being inspired by the mods that William has done? I just think there were some missed opportunities for simple pieces to enhance KS1 and are not too expensive.

I'm finishing KS5 with a big sigh. Not baited excitement or the feeling that I got an amazing deal. It was nice (and much more organized), but I'm more of an observer rather than participant.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 pm

I agree with you, William. I think the KS has been EXECUTED extremely well, but I feel the scope of it is too large. I feel priced out too.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:56 am
Fortunately we have the cage add-on now. This helped a lot as I was going for the menagerie solely for the cages. 2 sets $41 vs $120. :)
I kind-of wish the bars were flat steel in a cross pattern with iron rivets at the intersections, like Zealots jail bars, so I will mod theirs into pre-made jail cells parts and pass on the cold rolled bars in this KS.
Stormfury wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:56 am
... Wish the Khri or Sysuul stuff were there own KS down the road as I'd love to participate with those but I just have to 'decide' to skip those. The limited Jade stuff hurts a bit, but this KS has been humbling enough to teach me that I may need to curb my DF habit.
I could not agree more. My habit diminished a lot with the Castle KS and has really slid downhill in this one. If I'm totally honest, I feel these last two KS's are just out-of-control monsters. Pricing smaller buyers out of a way to get-it-all, so I do not agree this is a "almost perfect KS". It is way too big for my billfold. A "perfect" KS is priced small enough so everyone can get it all and also have a quick turn around, like a month or two. I know it's not terrain, but Midlam Miniatures and Iain Colwell's small KS's are my idea of perfect. I know since DF uses Chinese services timed around their New Year celebration and a small KS would limit DF's growth. I just feel they could get more items sold, by keeping the KS's smaller and pricing down, by not having to make so many molds each year. This is only my opinion, so take how you want. Just sad I'm increasingly being out-priced with every new DF KS.
I'll be just getting a small amount of add-ons to enhance my older sets of resin and dwarvenite, although I want more (really, all of it) I just can't do it, not even close.