KS5 - Magnets in bases

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Re: KS5 - Magnets in bases

Post by LadySabelle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Oldent wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:00 pm

The box would make a nice add on. If I committed to it I would want 10.
In order not to overwhelm everyone, we did not release all the add-on packs on the first day. You should see a few new add-ons every day or two. The elevation boxes will be among those eventually released.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:26 pm

that is cool - those of us that want them can pony up the $$$ - those who don't get lower cost floors and walls
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:22 pm

According to the page the pieces will not come with the anchor magnets in them. They will be an optional add-on pack. The pieces are molded with the port. Here is the image from the project page:
anchormagnet.jpg
anchormagnet.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Oldent wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:00 pm
I agree, Oldent, it appears to be something very useful.

The issue, of course, is cost. Not just cost to manufacture, which might be less than I think when compared to some of the other massively detailed pieces, but the cost to ship, since it's such a big volume per item. Unless DF can make it more efficient by actually using it as an outer box and ship sets with pledge goal boxes inside of the elevation box.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Jonathan - thanks that is a super usable spreadsheet

i didn't actually read the KS, i was to busy gawking at pictures ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:03 pm
As much as I like the concept of adding magnets to bases to place on metal sheets as pre-builds, it's not something that is worth the cost to me in the near term. I hope drilling the holes for them is not adding much to the overall cost, because I hate paying for features I don't need.

But I want to suggest something to DF on behalf of those who want the magnets.

It would be nice to see a way to magnetize legacy pieces as well. Since the old KS1 pieces have a very shallow lip underneath, what about sheet magnets pre-cut to the correct size to fit on the bottoms of dungeon tiles? They may not hold as well as the disk magnets, but it would be better than nothing.
Production of a piece doesn't work like that. A hole would be present in the mold, itself. There's no extra cost associated with adding a hole to the master before making a mold.

As for sheet magnets - I wouldn't use sheet magnets for anything beyond fridge magnets. You can get some pretty thin neodymium disc magnets. I have some. I'll post a pic of one attached to a KS1 piece in a bit.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:03 pm

As much as I like the concept of adding magnets to bases to place on metal sheets as pre-builds, it's not something that is worth the cost to me in the near term. I hope drilling the holes for them is not adding much to the overall cost, because I hate paying for features I don't need.

But I want to suggest something to DF on behalf of those who want the magnets.

It would be nice to see a way to magnetize legacy pieces as well. Since the old KS1 pieces have a very shallow lip underneath, what about sheet magnets pre-cut to the correct size to fit on the bottoms of dungeon tiles? They may not hold as well as the disk magnets, but it would be better than nothing.

Jonathan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Jonathan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:15 pm

The KS page has a link to a spreadsheet. The sheet shows which pieces have magnetic anchor holes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... JDUEv__qbg

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:00 pm

LadySabelle wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:08 pm
jgt4242 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Different subject, but do you know what pieces are classic Dwarvenite and what are Dwarvenite-G?
The elevation platform (box) will be Dwarvenite-G and possibly some of the large 8x8 floors (not 100% sure on floors yet).
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:08 pm

jgt4242 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Different subject, but do you know what pieces are classic Dwarvenite and what are Dwarvenite-G?
The elevation platform (box) will be Dwarvenite-G and possibly some of the large 8x8 floors (not 100% sure on floors yet).
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/