KS5 - Magnets in bases

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Re: KS5 - Magnets in bases

Post by Stormfury » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:29 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:08 am
So i know people are worried about modding all of their tiles... but it strikes me that if you have 4-5 pieces per terrain board with magnets, that should be sufficient to keep the rest from sliding around unless you are planning some sort of MC Escher walk up the walls type of adventure
Sure the only thing is I don't know which tiles to do that too as passageways, edges of rooms etc could all be on the sides/corners. Given that I would be modifying older pieces, the magnet would be permanent as well. I suppose you could do 1/4 or so of each type of piece and only use them on edges.

I'm thinking of just doing a few to test out and see how easy/well I can do the modification. We won't have the 12x12 metal terrain trays until middle of next years anyways. So we have time to experiment.

Does anyone have the official size and strength of the provided magnets for KS III & IV? I've lost a couple which didn't stay attached and I didn't realize it until later. Would love to replace those.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:08 am

So i know people are worried about modding all of their tiles... but it strikes me that if you have 4-5 pieces per terrain board with magnets, that should be sufficient to keep the rest from sliding around unless you are planning some sort of MC Escher walk up the walls type of adventure
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:53 am

malvernas wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:09 pm
You can get them domestically from K&J Magnetics. very short turn around and more magnets types than you can shake a stick at.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/
Nice and you can get 100 for $14. I'd need a ton since modifying older DF products would be 'permanent'. Wish this anchoring system had been thought of back in KS I. Nice concept.

malvernas

Post by malvernas » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:09 pm

You can get them domestically from K&J Magnetics. very short turn around and more magnets types than you can shake a stick at.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 pm
jchunick wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:31 pm
As for sheet magnets - I wouldn't use sheet magnets for anything beyond fridge magnets. You can get some pretty thin neodymium disc magnets. I have some. I'll post a pic of one attached to a KS1 piece in a bit.
Thanks for the pics. Where's the best place to buy these magnets? I've never really played with modifications but this might be a useful one.
eBay* is the cheapest I've found... from suppliers in China, so be prepared for a long shipping time.

* I haven't tried Alibaba, but I know a lot of people like that site, too.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Thanks, Josh, for the pics and info. I'm not sure if it would be worth my trouble to mod all my KS1/2 pieces to accept magnets. It's a cool idea and all, but I'll probably continue to do all my playing/building on top of a vinyl battlemat, not terrain trays. We'll have to see after I see some "how-to" videos comparing magnetized vs. non-magnetized.

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 pm

jchunick wrote:
As for sheet magnets - I wouldn't use sheet magnets for anything beyond fridge magnets. You can get some pretty thin neodymium disc magnets. I have some. I'll post a pic of one attached to a KS1 piece in a bit.
Thanks for the pics. Where's the best place to buy these magnets? I've never really played with modifications but this might be a useful one.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Blue Prophet wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:55 pm
jchunick wrote:
Production of a piece doesn't work like that. A hole would be present in the mold, itself. There's no extra cost associated with adding a hole to the master before making a mold.

Oops, I didn't think of it being molded in. That's perfectly fine.

Then I still suggest offering a solution for magnetizing legacy pieces that don't have the hole. It may be weaker or need more thin magnets, but it would be nice to see.
Here's a couple of pics I took of the difference in bottoms between KS1, KS2 and KS3 (from left):
20170617_215816.jpg
20170617_215816.jpg (78.52 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
20170617_215829 (Medium).jpg
20170617_215829 (Medium).jpg (99.28 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
The KS1 tile (on the left) has a 1mm thick disc magnet (actually it's 0.9mm). The KS2 cavern piece has two 2mm disc magnets for a total of 4mm. The KS3 CBS has two 2mm disc and one 1mm disc magnets for a total of 5mm. Each is a bit deeper than the next. I would probably put two or three magnets on the KS1 piece, spread out evenly.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:55 pm

jchunick wrote:
Production of a piece doesn't work like that. A hole would be present in the mold, itself. There's no extra cost associated with adding a hole to the master before making a mold.

Oops, I didn't think of it being molded in. That's perfectly fine.

Then I still suggest offering a solution for magnetizing legacy pieces that don't have the hole. It may be weaker or need more thin magnets, but it would be nice to see.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:59 pm

That will be great. I am likely to take a pass on most of the DOD sets since I already have too much dungeon stuff, but a pile of those Elevation Trays will be very enticing. Plus all the little greeblies bits....
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com