Post by Archimagus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:16 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:04 am
bernyleung wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:08 am
GODofwar wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:46 pm
You can get 4x4 floor samples from Home Despot
That's funny. I regularly refer to this store as Home Despot, too.
Our whole family has called it that for years, but for no reason. Home Depot is acctually a big supporter of veterans...I like the place.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, in anticipation.
I'm with you. I like my 10% off and all my ryobi tools.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: We need your input-KS5

Post by GODofwar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:04 am

bernyleung wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:08 am
GODofwar wrote:
Our whole family has called it that for years, but for no reason. Home Depot is acctually a big supporter of veterans...I like the place.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, in anticipation.
WeaselWarGod

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:08 am

GODofwar wrote:

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:46 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:40 pm
GODofwar wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:52 pm
Darksdale, you may have missed extensive discussion of this during CBS KS3. You can get 4x4 floor samples from Home Despot which have about fifty different colors and grains. They are FREE.

I use them for flat roofs and interiors in CBS (you have to cut them for the latter). I have also made frames (balsa wood) which allow them to be used in angles roofs.

CHEEP says the Weasel.

[b]The Chief Least Weasel (Pretendant) of Valoria
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, espeically KS6 which has not even happened yet in the fetid imaginations of the Creators...
[/b]
I think this is a great solution for interior floors, but not really so great for walls and roofs. I wouldn't mind getting a few alternative roofs in wood and thatch, and some walls in shiplap.

Berny, I forgo to mention that the samples also have stone textures.

The roofs don't look bad and are easy to make. The end pieces (I use balsa) are a bit fiddly, but given the 4" squares and some high school geometry, the res is pretty easy. I don't even cut the pieces - I just have eaves hanging down....

and as flat roof/patio pieces, they make the buildings more interesting.

PS: No, they don't work worth a darn for walls. Too fiddly to do anything.

Totus KS Delenda Sunt, espeically KS6 which has not even happened yet in the fetid imaginations of the Creators...
[/b]
WeaselWarGod

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:40 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:52 pm
Darksdale, you may have missed extensive discussion of this during CBS KS3. You can get 4x4 floor samples from Home Despot which have about fifty different colors and grains. They are FREE.

I use them for flat roofs and interiors in CBS (you have to cut them for the latter). I have also made frames (balsa wood) which allow them to be used in angles roofs.

CHEEP says the Weasel.

[/b]
I think this is a great solution for interior floors, but not really so great for walls and roofs. I wouldn't mind getting a few alternative roofs in wood and thatch, and some walls in shiplap.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Darksdale wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am
1. All wood grain tiles.
2. Tiles to build an arena.

There have been several times I wish I had all wood grain tiles by DF to build a stable, barn, or rooms build from all wood.

CHEEP says the Weasel.

[/b]
WeaselWarGod

LastFighter
Goblin
Goblin

Post by LastFighter » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 am

Accessories for DOD

1) A negative space-bases pool / fountain piece so I can form an outline, simple curves / s-curves with an ornate lip on the tile - I will have a terrain tray / colored paper underneath. Hope that is clear.
2) Free standing rubble pieces I can use to block passages / crowd doorways / partially fill rooms

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Oldent wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:18 pm
iPaint wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:34 am
Pretty solid pass for me on any sort of texture, keep it flat and simple. Credit card thickness or less will be great. You can always add your own texture on top.

~iPaint
:roll: My patience is shot from missed sleep. What part of the same texture as the current floor tiles did you not understand. :?: Am I just tired and missing your point :?: Do you mean you don't like the examples of scale texture I happen to have? Or do you mean you did not like the idea of using the current floor texture?
I think cost would be the most important concern. I would like DF to pick the texture if they like the Idea.
Sorry I'm grumpy :D
No, I got the point. I just don't think it's necessary when you can take any texture you want (water, lava, bricks, stones, you name it) and apply it on top of a blank slate to get the effect you're looking for post-purchase. I don't think DF will be able to get enough texture on the piece to get any sort of detail out of it without compromising the height or strength of the tab, which prevents it being used next to normal tiles without being too noticeable (even thinner-than-a-credit-card tabs will have a slight height difference, just maybe not enough to be too distracting).

I think it would defeat the purpose of their originally intended use - stick 'em under floor tiles where you can't tell they're there.

It'll be interesting to see how they work when DF demos them either through a video or livestream. Maybe they will be able to do it, who knows? I just think plain leaves the opportunity to dress it up from there.

~iPaint

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Wouldn't the passage wall piece also work if you butted it up against a floor piece with the tab facing outward (i.e. NOT underneath)? That means no matter how thick it is, it won't affect the height of the floor beside it, and it will still be stable as a freestanding piece, no?

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:18 pm

iPaint wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:34 am
Pretty solid pass for me on any sort of texture, keep it flat and simple. Credit card thickness or less will be great. You can always add your own texture on top.

~iPaint
:roll: My patience is shot from missed sleep. What part of the same texture as the current floor tiles did you not understand. :?: Am I just tired and missing your point :?: Do you mean you don't like the examples of scale texture I happen to have? Or do you mean you did not like the idea of using the current floor texture?
I think cost would be the most important concern. I would like DF to pick the texture if they like the Idea.
Sorry I'm grumpy :D
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!