More KS1 compatability

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Re: More KS1 compatability

Post by Cody N » Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 pm

LordDust wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 am
For that in particular you would need a new set of steel molds. Then there would be two highly similar and possibly easily confused sets that would not actually be directly compatible with one another. You would also still have the trouble that the pieces from KS1 aren't uniformly sized in height and width due to variances in shrinkage after mold release. The factory has gotten much tighter on the tolerances with the experience they have under their belt, which was a huge benefit to KS3 and KS4. What you're proposing isn't impossible, but the fit wouldn't be as good.

There have been proponents of reissuing KS1 with new molds fitting the new footprint, but most of us aren't interested in giving up on the existing collections, so it was decided by DF to have two scales essentially. A "dungeon scale", which is KS1, KS2, and KS5 alongside a "town scale" which is KS3 and KS4.
For sure they need new molds. But there are more dungeon tiles owners then castle owners, so making a crenulations and platforms sets seems like a no brainer. They got molds for all sorts of custom pieces. . Make it and they will buy.

As for the variation... it's not enough to worry about, and I have faith the df can get creative so it works.

As for all the different scales and systems (I. E posts); that was why i chose to not buy KS 3 or 4. This year looks very promising though!!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 am

For that in particular you would need a new set of steel molds. Then there would be two highly similar and possibly easily confused sets that would not actually be directly compatible with one another. You would also still have the trouble that the pieces from KS1 aren't uniformly sized in height and width due to variances in shrinkage after mold release. The factory has gotten much tighter on the tolerances with the experience they have under their belt, which was a huge benefit to KS3 and KS4. What you're proposing isn't impossible, but the fit wouldn't be as good.

There have been proponents of reissuing KS1 with new molds fitting the new footprint, but most of us aren't interested in giving up on the existing collections, so it was decided by DF to have two scales essentially. A "dungeon scale", which is KS1, KS2, and KS5 alongside a "town scale" which is KS3 and KS4.

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Post by Cody N » Tue May 16, 2017 2:43 am

For the tray system I am on the fence. I may buy a dwarvenforge tray style system.

But I would DEFINITELY buy the platforms and crenulations from ks4 , if they were sized for KS1.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Mon May 15, 2017 6:37 pm

LordDust wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 4:50 pm
I suspect there would a bit a bit of Maguivering even with an official solution since the tolerances weren't as tight with KS1 and to a lesser extent KS2. There was more variance in the final sizes of pieces due to less experience on the part of the factory. This means that a more precisely crafted tray system might sometimes have a loose fit with a random grouping of pieces or sometimes they might not quite fit within it. It would have to be made to the average or median size of the pieces, plus you would need many configurations. I might buy such a thing, but I'm not sure enough people would. Most of us find it too easy to use plastic card, cardboard, wood, or acrylic to create layers if we want that. I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, I'm just not sure if there is enough demand versus the costs and technicalities to make it a good move for DF. Obviously they would know better than me, so feel free to bring it to their attention. They don't always see threads, but you can email them a link to this one if you like and let them know you wanted to put in your thoughts.
LOrd D is right, methinks. Too much variance between the resin and KS 1-4 for a DwF solution to be economically practical. Especially when competing with cardboard from the back of used up paper tablets...

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Mon May 15, 2017 4:50 pm

I suspect there would a bit a bit of Maguivering even with an official solution since the tolerances weren't as tight with KS1 and to a lesser extent KS2. There was more variance in the final sizes of pieces due to less experience on the part of the factory. This means that a more precisely crafted tray system might sometimes have a loose fit with a random grouping of pieces or sometimes they might not quite fit within it. It would have to be made to the average or median size of the pieces, plus you would need many configurations. I might buy such a thing, but I'm not sure enough people would. Most of us find it too easy to use plastic card, cardboard, wood, or acrylic to create layers if we want that. I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, I'm just not sure if there is enough demand versus the costs and technicalities to make it a good move for DF. Obviously they would know better than me, so feel free to bring it to their attention. They don't always see threads, but you can email them a link to this one if you like and let them know you wanted to put in your thoughts.

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Post by Cody N » Sun May 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Absolutely godofwar. Lots of great tricks to make things work. Hopefully we will get some options so we can stop Maguivering set ups.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sat May 13, 2017 11:51 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 1:59 am
Part of the issue is KS1 (and the resin line in general) was never really meant to be stacked. KS3/4 was. Fans have created spectacular dioramas with stacked tiles, but I don't think they are really playable that well. But I see what you are saying; it's no fun to be left out.
For some reason my post disappeared.

Thin plywood or even thick cardboard backing from paper pads works wonders. And most medieval buildngs did not have huge open spans without supports anyway.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Post by Cody N » Sat May 13, 2017 2:41 am

No argument taken Sensei. We debate for the good of the game!

totally agree with you on stacking being a different bestiary entirely. A d the narrow passages are great.
The crenulations and platforms show that simple designs do exist, and will work to hold elevation together. And that's what I want to see more of. ....that and dwarvenforge version of this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... y-terrain/

I want me a Tavern and a library.....and those walls! Dwarvenforge style though.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat May 13, 2017 2:17 am

To me elevations and stacking are different things. Elevation is a solid base meant for vertical height. Stacking involves using narrow passages, walls with pillars, etc. to get height in a way that wasn't necessarily the originally intended use for the pieces. KS2 elevations were DESIGNED to put another piece on top of it, a normal wall was not. The only dungeon piece from KS1/2 I feel you can really say can be used that way is a narrow passage.

And again, not trying to argue. Just trying to clarify my thoughts on the issue.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 13, 2017 2:17 am

I agree KSI and II are more 2d than KSIII and KSIV. That is fine with me and I do not need a lot to make KSI more stackable
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria