KS5 unpainted

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Re: KS5 unpainted

Post by Thunder » Sun May 14, 2017 8:45 pm

My Advanced Stone Builder items from KS4 sure don't match the items from KS3. The KS4 stuff is way darker and has far less dry brushing.

Being hand painted it's tough to get the same amount of dry brushing, that's a given. The KS3 stuff has a lot of light grey between the stones, the KS4 stuff has dark grey between the stones. It's very noticeable.

I bought pre-painted, I might try a dark grey wash on the KS3 stuff, it actually looks better with the dark grey.

Peace

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun May 14, 2017 3:54 pm

jchunick wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 3:08 pm
Can we maybe just be clear that nobody from DF is claiming that the explanation is that?... it's beginning to sound like this explanation is coming from DF. Yikes!
Josh is right. I was the one who posted the 'explanation' - except it wasn't an explanation. I just said I didn't care because in real life rocks vary.

I - the Weasel, me myself, don't care. That doesn't mean DwF ought not to have standardized base colors (but or course I personnally, me, the Weasel, don't care) or that YOU should not care. I get why its a problem, just like SizeGate.

Mea Sorta Culpa.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

koraldon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by koraldon » Sun May 14, 2017 3:21 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 2:57 pm
I'm glad they've at least mentioned that KS5 will be in what they call legacy scale before people pledge. I'm glad the ship is righting somewhat.
I hope they will fix the paint issue somehow as well. For me scale differences of a couple of 0.1" when you put a line of 12 tiles in a row is insignificant compared to different paint scheme which is observable when you put two tiles on the table...
I'm waiting for my KS4 shipment but if the KS3 crenellations don't match color with walls / KS4 crenellations that is going to be very disappointing.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun May 14, 2017 3:11 pm

I'll pass this concern along, though. I know I'm starting to seriously consider repainting those lighter pieces using info from this thread: http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewt ... =34&t=7134

(I'm lucky that Lowe's just came to my town last year :-) ).
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun May 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Can we maybe just be clear that nobody from DF is claiming that the explanation is that?... it's beginning to sound like this explanation is coming from DF. Yikes!
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun May 14, 2017 2:57 pm

I'll agree with Runeweaver. I buy prepainted and it's highly frustrating. It all started with KS3. I don't understand how or why they keep changing base colors or highlight colors. If I bought a prepainted piece for my car I'd expect it to match my current color because it's the same manufacturer. Saying stuff about different colors of rock is a copout. Sets that are designed to be intermixed should match. Sorry but not sorry. This is "the world's finest dungeon terrain." This is an issue I'm disappointed even had to come up. As buyers we shouldn't need to fix manufacturing mistakes when we invest thousands of dollars in product. QC and communication of size/scale and colors died in KS3 and sadly part of that overlook hit us in KS4. I'm glad they've at least mentioned that KS5 will be in what they call legacy scale before people pledge. I'm glad the ship is righting somewhat.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Sun May 14, 2017 1:24 pm

The KS4 unpainted is a lighter gray, and some of it (different sets) is the darker gray. Very frustrating. I think I can make due with it, but yeah. This is a basic standardization of manufacture. To say that 'in real life rocks are different colors' doesn't apply here. Unpainted should be indentical from piece to piece so that the pAinter can apply those anomalies at their desire. I would think that those receiving painted product where some are of one color and others are of a different tone would be highly annoyed at what they received.

Yes, I've seen the Washington monument as well,and true the tones do change. I've also seen many such edifices in Europe, and again the same thing pertains. Now explain to your gaming group when someone points out 'hey, these don't match.' The only thing your can say in return is 'yeah, you're right.' Not 'well, you see they came from different generations' or 'this stone is from Virginia while this stone came from Georgia.' All you'll get is a sarcastic, 'yeah right' in return.

As for someone that bought unpainted this time around, thanks for attempting to make me feel better about getting different grays, but I still don't like it. In fact I asked for them to be replaced before I realized that the problem is so widespread. I have since retracted my request and will make due the best that I can.

Something as simple as a standardized gray. I would have taken that as a given. I was wrong.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:50 am

I bought some KS1 narrow passages to use as walls for some KS3 battlements, the paint isn't even close. I will have to go over them with the stone edge drybrush as it looks like that step was skipped. But, in viewing old stoneworks, many times there is dissimilar stone as it takes sometimes years to complete. Just take a gander at the Washington monument!

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Post by dreamlifter » Sun May 14, 2017 12:10 am

GODofwar wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 11:43 pm
ForestZ wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 6:22 pm
Yeah, as someone who hand paints all their tiles, I'd also really like it to match up (since quite a lot of the "base color" shows through in my resulting paint job).
PS: My wife is taking a geology course, and i've noticed that even rock from the same strate varies widely in color. The small grey on grey difference in the KS1-4 pieces does not look bad, from that point of view. I just mix them.

Truthfully, once my KS1 was painted, I can't tell the base color at all.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
I've made a lot of pics from castles in Germany, Austria, and Slovenia a public folder on Facebook. You can take a look at some of the castle colors of rock. At a distance I've seen some gray variant ruins from the train. I will be seeing more castles over the next 10 days, but this should show you color variations of rock. The castles I've seen usually have additions across various generations.

https://www.facebook.com/scott.plaskett.1/photos_albums

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sat May 13, 2017 11:43 pm

ForestZ wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 6:22 pm
Yeah, as someone who hand paints all their tiles, I'd also really like it to match up (since quite a lot of the "base color" shows through in my resulting paint job).
PS: My wife is taking a geology course, and i've noticed that even rock from the same strate varies widely in color. The small grey on grey difference in the KS1-4 pieces does not look bad, from that point of view. I just mix them.

Truthfully, once my KS1 was painted, I can't tell the base color at all.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod