Tree Sets

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Tree Sets

Post by Oldent » Fri May 05, 2017 4:43 pm

I like the idea of mushroom steps. I will include that in my next fairy village. My sisters birthday is coming up.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri May 05, 2017 4:40 pm

jackattack wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm
Thing is, I don't want the trees nearly as much as I want the village in them. That is, I only want to represent the surfaces a character (miniature) can stand on.

In gameplay, I strongly prefer to keep terrain pieces under a few inches tall, and I don't like things that obscure players' view or interfere with handling and placing miniatures. A nice set of stumps does a great job of representing where the trees are without impeding sight lines or play.

However, to avoid being a complete naysayer, I'll propose this...

At the bottom (on the table)................

I don't know if this is something DF (or anyone) can or should do, but I hope it is at least a starting place for constructive discussion, and something that might satisfy both gaming pragmatists and diorama enthusiasts.
Can is a whole different subject than should. ;) I have given a good deal of thought to this. Fred and I had something started when he passed away. I just stopped working on it. I have a different way of approaching the subject of player sight/view.The principle involves standing and sitting. The canopy of trees should be tall enough so that while you are sitting you should be able to see and reach the figures. The next level should require you to stand to reach and see the figures.

I prefer natural materials so that is a personal limitation.

This example can be found in the photo above too. The canopy is tall enough not to interfere with movement so long as you are sitting.

Fred suggesting some ideas with a JR cottage. We were going to peg the tree sections together.We plained to make platforms with circle cutters because I have a set.

Two branches pegged together. We had three levels in mind.

We were going to use pine bark for rock and I wanted to include rope bridges. Fred was incredible with that level of detail. We had over a hundred years of combined experience so We could have made it playable.

I am of the age that it is difficult to start a story in which every one is still alive.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Fri May 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Okay, working from a tree-as-building place...

It's just a series of round rooms with bark textures on the outside and wood grain on the inside. I could see doing 6" and 8" diameters, but smaller is too cramped to be much use and larger might be too much for steel molds to be viable.

Some quarter-round wall sections would be solid, some would have one or two windows, some would have doors, and some might be lattices or railings. Some might have stairs cut into the trunk on the inside, some might have mushrooms as stairs on the outside.

Bridges could be done as 2"x1" and 2"x1" plank floors, with rope or vines sculpted into them near the edges. No railings, no walls, just floor pieces. Maybe a T and an X intersection.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Fri May 05, 2017 3:40 pm

jgt4242 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 3:38 pm
I actually asked Stefan about trees and green ground tiles way back in october/november. His answer was maybre for KS6.
WOW, real beans!

'K, won't mention this topic any more!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS delenda sunt
WeaselWarGod

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:38 pm

I actually asked Stefan about trees and green ground tiles way back in october/november. His answer was maybre for KS6.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Fri May 05, 2017 3:22 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 1:20 am
They'd be competing in a saturated market. Steel molds aren't the cheapest. Is there enough interest to warrant this type of development? It has been asked before, much speculation has been made, but not a whisper from the DF development team. Anyway, would it be worth it if you had to go 3rd party for the flocking?
I think trees would only work if they had spaces inside - rooms - and the ability to add branches which could support light buildings and figures, as well as bridges from one to the other.

Just making terrain won't work. Too much competition.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS delenda sunt
WeaselWarGod

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Thing is, I don't want the trees nearly as much as I want the village in them. That is, I only want to represent the surfaces a character (miniature) can stand on.

In gameplay, I strongly prefer to keep terrain pieces under a few inches tall, and I don't like things that obscure players' view or interfere with handling and placing miniatures. A nice set of stumps does a great job of representing where the trees are without impeding sight lines or play.

However, to avoid being a complete naysayer, I'll propose this...

At the bottom (on the table), a wide flat base made of a rigid material. It would have a single hollow stump in the center.

The trunk would be designed to fit into the stump at the bottom, and would have a hollow end at the top. Clear plastic shelves or rings would be set into it, number and placement contingent on width and height of the trunk. These would allow a mini to represent a character or creature climbing the tree.

The branches section would fit into the trunk at the bottom, then break out into two, three, or four limbs supporting a flat piece of clear green plastic. The plastic surface would be roughly the same size as the base, might be a darker green in the middle (or nearest the branches) and progressively lighter towards the edges, and probably ought to have the main branches visible underneath or painted onto the sheet. This represents the canopy of the tree, where characters and creatures can move around in the branches. The visible/painted branches and the color gradations of the plastic surface would allow DMs to set climbing/acrobatics/athletics DCs for movement in the canopy. The plastic surface would also allow placement of terrain pieces for buildings in the branches.

At the top, a dome of "foliage" designed to rest on the outside edge of the plastic canopy surface. It should probably be as light weight as possible, and might need to be made of sponge or non-woven fabric or some such.

So that's four pieces per tree. The bottom-most for combat on the ground between the trees, the second for characters/creatures who climb for concealment or vantage, the third for movement and combat in the branches, and the top-most to conceal miniatures in/among the trees and to complete the aesthetic for those who feel the need.

I have no idea how many different materials or sections or molds would be necessary to manufacture such a monstrosity. I would expect to need a few alternate sizes for variety, and then again for fall foliage and bare winter/dead trees.

I don't know if this is something DF (or anyone) can or should do, but I hope it is at least a starting place for constructive discussion, and something that might satisfy both gaming pragmatists and diorama enthusiasts.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Fri May 05, 2017 10:02 am

LordDust wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 6:02 am
An Elven village IN a tree, that is a whole different critter. I'd like something like that quite a bit. A semi-modular set that is a small village in a tree top or connected tree tops would be awesome. We're getting kind of niche here though, so I'm not sure if the appeal is broad enough or not.
I'd love something like this. It could also include some matching stand alone trees for those of us without existing trees. At it's core though, offering up a tree-top village (elven or otherwise) would be awesome!
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri May 05, 2017 7:55 am

William wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 am
Oh Zach, you had to post that. :roll: :cry:
I never did draw up anything, but started mock-up sculpting the idea way back, I couldn't get the sizing right and the connecting of pieces was another stumbling block. I still have the unfinished clay pieces on a tray and could maybe post some pictures in a week or two (I'll really post something this time :oops: ), but I'm kind-of busy this week.
I saw some trees you might like in the fairy garden section at Joe Ann's. They were very much in the MBA style
dreamlifter wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 am
bernyleung wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 am
Why not just purchase established tree sets from other model manufacturers? I got some large assortment of tree armatures from Woodland Scenics. The bases aren't hugely robust so I hot-glued metal washers to the underside in order to give it some stability. Works fine.
to give my money to DF
I think a lot of people feel this way. One stop shopping.

I will not be in the market for cast trees. I do occasionally see some very nice MBA style trees.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri May 05, 2017 7:37 am

The main thing for me is a playable area. Sometimes even DF gets a bit too dioramaish for me, but mostly it is playable.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria