Tree Sets

BaneofHumanity
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Tree Sets

Post by BaneofHumanity » Sat May 06, 2017 4:36 pm

I saw a design that actually looks similar to that. But instead of wood disks. it had floors on it and each floor was made to look like leaves and branches but it was flat. I cant find a picture of it...but they took DM Scotty's design and improved upon it. I think it would be perfect of made out of Dwarvenite...(or Bones I think either company could do it well) Sadly I cannot find the picture of it. But it looks like huge pine trees. Its obviously made for practicality over realism though...But you could put minis on different heights of the tree.

I don't know if you could put a house on it but I'm sure they could design something for it. I think if they did. It should be something useable with CBS but different. Like round walls etc....
6 Billion cries of agony, will birth a new balance.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sat May 06, 2017 12:29 pm

Oldent the spider-cut platforms have all sorts of possibilities..where do you get 'em?

Nice talking with you yesterday.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS delenda sunt
WeaselWarGod

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat May 06, 2017 10:58 am

BaneofHumanity wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:40 am
I just want trees that I can put miniatures in...

I tried to address this with minimum tools involved.
I hot glued laser cut miniature bases into a halloween aquarium plant.

I was going to make some for my Halloween game using the laser cut spider web as platforms. They are no where near ready.

Cast tree trunks with peg on platforms and foliage. This is still a multi mold system. To use with city builder the trunks would be very large
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 am

bernyleung wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 9:35 am
I still can't wrap my head around Dwarvenite-based modular tall trees that would be stable enough to actually hold KS3-style buildings connectable by walkways and bridges. At least, not unless the base of the building was integral to the mold of the trunk.
That's why I specified a wide base made of rigid material. The base holding the tree will have to be as wide as the platform at the top of the tree to prevent tipping. As in every picture of home-built trees with platforms posted in this thread so far

I hope we aren't (just) talking about KS3 buildings, but as long as the base is large enough to hold the tree stable, I think the pieces on the platform will be fine. Bridges and walkways between trees might need to be added carefully (as a single piece?) but probably won't be heavy enough to upset two very stably based platforms.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

BaneofHumanity
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BaneofHumanity » Sat May 06, 2017 9:40 am

I just want trees that I can put miniatures in...
6 Billion cries of agony, will birth a new balance.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat May 06, 2017 9:35 am

Those are really nicely-crafted trees!

I still can't wrap my head around Dwarvenite-based modular tall trees that would be stable enough to actually hold KS3-style buildings connectable by walkways and bridges. At least, not unless the base of the building was integral to the mold of the trunk.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Fri May 05, 2017 11:28 pm

I made these trees a few years back

I don't think it would be heard to make dwarven trees with interchangeable limbs, trunks, foilage, and flets to create a multilevel wooded village.

My blog entry on the technique:

https://sfdfsfd.wordpress.com/2013/04/1 ... 13apr2013/
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Fri May 05, 2017 11:10 pm

Godofwar, I think it is better to have an open format to present ideas to DF as early as possible because it gives people more time to brainstorm development (customers and staff), evaluate interest level and profitability if not sustainability if it is just a love of concept like the castle's project, and by using a specific topic designed solely for a specific theme, a place for DF to easily evaluate. I've had such a time as a sparse forum reader to try and find or want to find specific information in a cluttered highway of mish-mash topics and tangents. Who knows maybe something will strike for DF to introduce a small component of something into a KS now or later.
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by 'open format'. Sounds useful though.

when I really have a pointed suggestion, I contact DF Suzy, or Nate, or Himself directly. They can do what they will with the comments then.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Post by dreamlifter » Fri May 05, 2017 10:53 pm

Oldent wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 4:40 pm
jackattack wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm
Thing is, I don't want the trees nearly as much as I want the village in them. That is, I only want to represent the surfaces a character (miniature) can stand on.

In gameplay, I strongly prefer to keep terrain pieces under a few inches tall, and I don't like things that obscure players' view or interfere with handling and placing miniatures. A nice set of stumps does a great job of representing where the trees are without impeding sight lines or play.

However, to avoid being a complete naysayer, I'll propose this...

At the bottom (on the table)................

I don't know if this is something DF (or anyone) can or should do, but I hope it is at least a starting place for constructive discussion, and something that might satisfy both gaming pragmatists and diorama enthusiasts.
Two branches pegged together. We had three levels in mind.

We were going to use pine bark for rock and I wanted to include rope bridges. Fred was incredible with that level of detail. We had over a hundred years of combined experience so We could have made it playable.

I am of the age that it is difficult to start a story in which every one is still alive.
I think Jackattack's idea of the bottom trunk having a recess is a good idea along with the ability to place miniatures.

I think your use of the tree with platforms is conceptually a great way to go. I think this is potentially possible as a modular system to offer variety, but there is the possibility of some simplicity by instead of doing canopies or having an optional canopy by painting the top half of a tree dark green for a full canopy, green for a intermediate canopy, light green for sparse, and brown for dead.

Godofwar, I think it is better to have an open format to present ideas to DF as early as possible because it gives people more time to brainstorm development (customers and staff), evaluate interest level and profitability if not sustainability if it is just a love of concept like the castle's project, and by using a specific topic designed solely for a specific theme, a place for DF to easily evaluate. I've had such a time as a sparse forum reader to try and find or want to find specific information in a cluttered highway of mish-mash topics and tangents. Who knows maybe something will strike for DF to introduce a small component of something into a KS now or later.

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Fri May 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Great story on Fred. Quite a friend he appears to be (similar interests). Thx for sharing.

Cool trees as well! Love the halflings on the top layer. Looks and acts like a platform.