Tree Sets

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Tree Sets

Post by LordDust » Fri May 05, 2017 6:02 am

I don't really need more tree sources. If the price was right I would probably buy some from DF, but they aren't a must get product. An Elven village IN a tree, that is a whole different critter. I'd like something like that quite a bit. A semi-modular set that is a small village in a tree top or connected tree tops would be awesome. We're getting kind of niche here though, so I'm not sure if the appeal is broad enough or not.

William
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by William » Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 am

Oh Zach, you had to post that. :roll: :cry:
I never did draw up anything, but started mock-up sculpting the idea way back, I couldn't get the sizing right and the connecting of pieces was another stumbling block. I still have the unfinished clay pieces on a tray and could maybe post some pictures in a week or two (I'll really post something this time :oops: ), but I'm kind-of busy this week.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri May 05, 2017 1:31 am

Found it. Page 2. (Though I guess Stefan posted on a different post that I remember as I don't see it here)

http://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewt ... dular+tree
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri May 05, 2017 1:28 am

Stefan has commented on a previous tree post similar to what dreamlifter has proposed. Someone had some Duplo tree or something and thought the design idea could translate over to a more tabletop version of it. Stefan has hinted at outdoor terrain but also said he doesn't know if it's needed or not. Time will tell, and the only way for DF to know there is interest is to voice your interest. :) Keep posting, dreamlifter. :)
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri May 05, 2017 1:20 am

They'd be competing in a saturated market. Steel molds aren't the cheapest. Is there enough interest to warrant this type of development? It has been asked before, much speculation has been made, but not a whisper from the DF development team. Anyway, would it be worth it if you had to go 3rd party for the flocking?

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Post by dreamlifter » Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 am

bernyleung wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 am
Why not just purchase established tree sets from other model manufacturers? I got some large assortment of tree armatures from Woodland Scenics. The bases aren't hugely robust so I hot-glued metal washers to the underside in order to give it some stability. Works fine.
to give my money to DF

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 am

Why not just purchase established tree sets from other model manufacturers? I got some large assortment of tree armatures from Woodland Scenics. The bases aren't hugely robust so I hot-glued metal washers to the underside in order to give it some stability. Works fine.

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Tree Sets

Post by dreamlifter » Fri May 05, 2017 12:40 am

Is it possible to modularize tree building? What if there were 3 different tree trunks with a magnet embedded top of each diameter scale; 5',10', 15' and then have 3 secondary treetop units of each scale with an embedded magnet in the bottom. This would seem to allow diversity and variation to thickness, height and size of trees. DF could then sell or direct people to foliage product for leaf customization at the customer level.

Thoughts?