A Suggestion for the Kickstarter #5

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Re: A Suggestion for the Kickstarter #5

Post by lostpict » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:57 pm

I have bought lots of trees over the years (and many of OldEnt's are amongst my Entlings). Here is a blog entry I did about making large fantasy trees with Elven Flets and some pictures. Pretty easy stuff to mix with store-bought trees.

Blog - How To - https://sfdfsfd.wordpress.com/2013/04/1 ... 13apr2013/

Photo log - https://www.flickr.com/photos/9975128@N ... 3129717163

Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

FattyLumpkin
Orc
Orc

Post by FattyLumpkin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:20 am

Thank you SO much for the photos. I have yet to attempt anything like this but have an interest and this is inspiring. One fun part of this hobby is walking around the world looking for things you can incorporate into a terrain piece. I have a small collection (my wife just smirks) but in the spring plan to hunt for good bark. Thank you for the tips. It's always good to see what the advanced Terrain Wizards are doing.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:47 am

The rock is pine bark

Quick Wood Photo from http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lost ... nts.2C_etc. long OOP
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:35 am

FattyLumpkin wrote

"Hi Oldent...Are the trees planted on the rocks found someplace on those sites or did you make them? They're really nice."

The bodies of many of the trees are old out of production MageKnight

I add the wire armatures from Woodland Scenic and add foliage.

I make a lot of trees from natural materials.

These are twisted paper and plastic halloween thorns. I learned this trick from DM Scotty.

More Mage Knight

Quick how too.

The core of this tree was a Dollar Tree figure. I clipped a tree armature and drilled holes to attach the branches. I painted the snow over with craft paint and dressed the armature as if it was normal railroad tree. I also make wire brush trees.

FattyLumpkin
Orc
Orc

Post by FattyLumpkin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:01 pm

Oldent wrote:
jchunick wrote:I'd like to say, 'yes' to those trees in your pic, but I need links and company names that sell those beauties :-)
Mage Knight OOP Grenadier OOP

http://scenicexpress.com/

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/
Hi Oldent...Are the trees planted on the rocks found someplace on those sites or did you make them? They're really nice.

FattyLumpkin
Orc
Orc

Post by FattyLumpkin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:51 pm

I really like Kachina's idea of a DF set. Others have described a lot of wonderful ideas that revolve around that idea.

I also have to support Nat and Stephen's idea (see the live stream) of a hodgepodge set that works to build on everything they have released so far. A Dungeon Dressing set could even include to Kachina's DF set idea. The Grab Bag of Holding would be a great way to hold and bind it all together. It seems there are a lot of additions that would make the current stuff over the top good!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:40 pm

"I definitely agree with ... Jackattack point of view."

I do and don't. I think Jackattack is fundamentally correct. I do not think his solution is the answer.Trees are unique. I do not want multiples of the exact same tree. I do not want them to be rigid PVC.

Sci Fi
There are not enough Sci Fi Role Players for there to be a good market. Sci Fi Wargames don't use grids.But when they do they are hexes.

The topic is a Dwarven theme.Should it agment KS I? Probably.

I did not pledge for KS I because it does not match any of my resin sets. I still have not purchased any.Everyone has a preference.

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Crimson_King_of_the_Tower » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:15 pm

My hope for KS5 is a return to some more simple projects. Dont get me wrong I enjoy all their kickstarters but would like something a little more simple like their first 2. I would love to see a dwarven themed set as well as lots of ruins I do alot of scenarios involving ruined towers as well as entire ruined or forgotten cities

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:06 pm

jackattack wrote:I think sci-fi had two main problems -- focus and scope.

...sci-fi never had more than a couple of basic sets available at any one time, and didn't address very specific sci-fi tropes until previous sets had almost been forgotten.

...DF would need to hit various sci-fi tropes quick and hard...

Note that many sci-fi items can be done as accessories that can be slotted into sci-fi tiles, or placed in other DF lines. For example, industrial sci-fi in dungeons would be great for retro pulp adventures, and iPod future in caverns would be great for mad supergenious scenarios.
I definitely agree with the way Jackattack point of view. Although I'm not a sci-fi guy, the sci-fi line looked great, and I definitely would have taken some sets for steampunk/technomancer dungeons, but there were just too expensive for the few pieces they contained, the distribution of the pieces were just not very useful, and there was not a moment in which you could get a significant amount of the sets needed when at last there was enough variety of pieces.

Simple sets of different environments and accesory add-ons based on the success of said basic and simple sets I think would do the trick.

Just my 2 cents of course,

Greetings!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:13 pm

jchunick wrote:I'd like to say, 'yes' to those trees in your pic, but I need links and company names that sell those beauties :-)
Mage Knight OOP Grenadier OOP

http://scenicexpress.com/

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/