Size Thread - will KS5 pieces be same size as KS1?

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Size Thread - will KS5 pieces be same size as KS1?

Post by Harneloot » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:59 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 am
I am sure glad that KS5 will be legacy size and the same scale as KS1.
Me three!

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:51 am

I can go either way for KSV, really, I just wish there were no size difference, but that is already too late.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 am

I am sure glad that KS5 will be legacy size and the same scale as KS1.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Oldent wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 pm
jchunick wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:00 pm
Oldent wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:34 am

If I have a KS1 tile in hand and butt it up against a KS5 tile (which I also have) then I'm directly comparing one tile to the size of another tile. No other measuring tools needed.

Please feel free to respond.
I responded several times, The consensus is to drop it.I suggested that we use the phrase the Kickstarters are compatible in stead of opening a new can of worms every time the subject comes up.
I explained in another post why your suggestion is a very bad idea.
Thank-you for feeling free to respond.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 pm

jchunick wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:00 pm
Oldent wrote:
jchunick wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:49 pm

What would I have measured or squared? You might have also missed the part where I said that I get the pieces to mod. There's really nothing for me to measure about the tile insofar as I'm not sculpting the tile, just modding it with LEDs and the like.
If I have a KS1 tile in hand and butt it up against a KS5 tile (which I also have) then I'm directly comparing one tile to the size of another tile. No other measuring tools needed.

I responded several times, The consensus is to drop it.I suggested that we use the phrase the Kickstarters are compatible in stead of opening a new can of worms every time the subject comes up.
I explained in another post why your suggestion is a very bad idea.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Oldent wrote:
jchunick wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:49 pm
Oldent wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:31 pm
One from KS1, I'd imagine. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You have not measured or tried to square any have you?
What would I have measured or squared? You might have also missed the part where I said that I get the pieces to mod. There's really nothing for me to measure about the tile insofar as I'm not sculpting the tile, just modding it with LEDs and the like.

Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

jonmilton
Orc
Orc

Post by jonmilton » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:28 pm

If memory serves, Stefan specifically addressed this previously (I think in a live stream) the last time it blew up on the forums. He said that everything was intended to be on a true inch scale, but shrinkage affected KS1 and KS2 tiles making them slightly smaller. Factory processes improved for KS3 and KS4 bringing things up to a true inch scale and making the two variations different. He said that going forward they would make all the tile type pieces such that with the new non-shrinking processes they come out to the smaller scale and be matched to KS1 and KS2, and any City/Castle type pieces would be to the true inch scale.

That being said, there is nothing preventing them from changing their minds or just forgetting about the scale issue and since things are already sculpted for the next KS I think it's going to be whatever it is today and that's just going to be how it is. We all know it's going to be doom to our wallets anyway even if we are grumbling about out.

jasdotcom
Orc
Orc

Post by jasdotcom » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:09 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:49 pm
Yes, but the OP was asking "will KS5 pieces be the same size as KS1?" I don't -think- he meant identical to the millimeter, I think he meant "will these work best with my KS1 pieces or my city builder pieces, because I know they are slightly different in size." KS5 has been stated in different words to be more closely resembling KS1 than city builder. As far as I know, that's the answer to his question, which was the reason for the post.

I don't think I even OWN a ruler.

Due to the sensitive nature of the subject, I tried to ask my question as succinctly and clearly as possible...and failed miserably. But, yes, my question was answered - (I'll try to phrase this as best I can.....deep breath....)

The size of KS5 pieces will resemble the size of KS1 pieces MORE CLOSELY THAN they will resemble the size of City Builder pieces.

Thanks for your help, all :D

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:34 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:49 pm
Also, I don't want to say I think what you say is wrong, I think you have good points, I just see in some posts on this thread some frustration between posters, so this isn't something I'm funneling at you. It's the thread in general.
I have thick skin. ;)
The next time this comes up lets use "They are compatible" and not open a can of worms. :idea:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Yes, but the OP was asking "will KS5 pieces be the same size as KS1?" I don't -think- he meant identical to the millimeter, I think he meant "will these work best with my KS1 pieces or my city builder pieces, because I know they are slightly different in size." KS5 has been stated in different words to be more closely resembling KS1 than city builder. As far as I know, that's the answer to his question, which was the reason for the post. I think getting into definitions of scale and mm issues becomes contentious and brings bad mojo into the discussion because there are some firm opinions on both people and how the sizing approach was handled. I don't think they need to be argued again, as they just bring bad feelings, but I'm just one voice. I agree with bernyleung, let's move on, the OP got his answer.

Also, I don't want to say I think what you say is wrong, I think you have good points, I just see in some posts on this thread some frustration between posters, so this isn't something I'm funneling at you. It's the thread in general.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned