Size Thread - will KS5 pieces be same size as KS1?

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Size Thread - will KS5 pieces be same size as KS1?

Post by Oldent » Wed May 10, 2017 9:26 pm

It will take 8 4"by 4" tiles to add up to 1/4" difference. The KS1 tiles will be slightly different. I have not noticed a difference in how tall the tiles are that would matter.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Post by dreamlifter » Wed May 10, 2017 3:55 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 3:40 pm
If you're trying to get ledges based on size differences between pieces, they are too small on small scales to do that. You would need to have pieces laid out around 24" in length to get the older pieces to yield enough space for a ledge a mini can stand on, based on my personal experience. It all depends on the mini of course.
I didn't say it has to stand there. I said it would be visible. It is upon a player to ask/try if they can scale a wall or in this case walk a ledge. If I can imagine playing in a world such as D&D, I can imagine a character mini on a ledge, but if a marker is desired, I could come up with something. It seems quite a number of vocal people are negative about differences rather than being creative. Isn't a lot of gaming verbal, on paper without minis, on paper with minis, on sheet protectors, laminated maps, dry erase boards, miniatures on a table, paper, terrain, etc.

Since the entire set-up isn't going to convert all to one scale, time is wasted on dwelling and posting on it rather than, coming up with creative solutions for DF as recently posted that may be inspirations for them to address the concern while still having different scales. Okay my rants are over.

I've been vocal lately because I saw I was a kobold which is kinda like poop from a dragon. Sounds cool, but it is still...S**T. I'm still only a goblin. A lackey for an orc and toothpick for an ogre.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed May 10, 2017 3:40 pm

If you're trying to get ledges based on size differences between pieces, they are too small on small scales to do that. You would need to have pieces laid out around 24" in length to get the older pieces to yield enough space for a ledge a mini can stand on, based on my personal experience. It all depends on the mini of course.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Post by dreamlifter » Wed May 10, 2017 3:35 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 3:29 pm
dreamlifter wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 2:03 pm
What if KS I & KS V "dungeon pieces" had 1 basic wall 2x2 with a window in it. This gives new dimension to include all of those pieces into a floor of a castle with differing ceiling or width.
Do you mean this piece from KS1?

25680adfcdc3593a684ee4212cd0aaa0_original[1].jpg
I haven't looked at those pieces in a year, but didn't think there was one. Would you try building a castle and use those on an inside building or structure as a 2nd floor and if using some of the more narrow pieces would work to create very narrow ledges? Given the new KS I probably won't be buying in dungeon pieces from KS1 until later.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed May 10, 2017 3:29 pm

dreamlifter wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 2:03 pm
What if KS I & KS V "dungeon pieces" had 1 basic wall 2x2 with a window in it. This gives new dimension to include all of those pieces into a floor of a castle with differing ceiling or width.
Do you mean this piece from KS1?

25680adfcdc3593a684ee4212cd0aaa0_original[1].jpg
25680adfcdc3593a684ee4212cd0aaa0_original[1].jpg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Post by dreamlifter » Wed May 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:46 am
AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:46 am
We are getting caught up again in contention and irrelevant issues.

Simple answer is:

KS1 and KS2 are highly compatible with each other in regards to footprint/height of their pieces. KS3 and KS4 are highly compatible with each other in regards to footprint/height of their pieces. The 2 different scales are highly similar but there is a difference between each grouping. KS5 has been stated to be more in line with the KS1 and KS2 size. They still work with KS3 and KS4 but work better with KS1 and KS2. That's it.
Gah that's disappointing and will impact my spending. I have way more KS3 and KS4 stuff, so prefer that footprint. Thanks for clarifying as I was getting confused by all the back and forth in this thread.
KS IV is my first set and I won't have it until the end of May or Early June, but I wonder if anyone has looked into in advantages of different sizing. This would create nifty ledges that a rogue, assassin, spy, bird, etc. might be tempted to climb out on. It gives a slight offset in height to give different buildings another dimension. Some lower levels had no windows.

What I think DF should consider if there is value with these variations but a way to make them inclusive. What if KS I & KS V "dungeon pieces" had 1 basic wall 2x2 with a window in it. This gives new dimension to include all of those pieces into a floor of a castle with differing ceiling or width. I think the column pieces would be great for the first floor of a "great hall", but I don't want DF to stop the "columnar statues" that would be good to support a ceiling and be great for rows of the great kings or "evil". To expand on this without so many different molds, I would suggest a warhammer style scenario to have different faces, body parts, armor & weapons to put together in one complete set. These could be glued at the customer level. Might not be worth it but I can dream! I think someone with pieces and experience should look into this and see if there is a nice esthetic of the combination of pieces.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Wed May 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Stormfury wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 11:46 am
AnimeSensei wrote:

Simple answer is:

KS1 and KS2 are highly compatible with each other in regards to footprint/height of their pieces. KS3 and KS4 are highly compatible with each other in regards to footprint/height of their pieces. The 2 different scales are highly similar but there is a difference between each grouping. KS5 has been stated to be more in line with the KS1 and KS2 size. They still work with KS3 and KS4 but work better with KS1 and KS2. That's it.
Gah that's disappointing and will impact my spending. I have way more KS3 and KS4 stuff, so prefer that footprint. Thanks for clarifying as I was getting confused by all the back and forth in this thread.
I think the sets are compatible.There are issues that can be easily addressed.

Move the alignment issue to the out side of the lay out.

I made an 1/4 inch brick adaptor so that I can use the alley instead.The large stone street would have worked as well.

Flexible molds are flexible. This cast is racked more than others.

This is the other end of the same hallway. Turn the tile around.

If you are going to make a big lay out you will have more issues with warpage than Metric verses Standard measurements. Repair the worst offenders with hot water, a framing square and clamps.
Rigid molds require flexible casting material and rigid casting materials require flexible molds it is the nature of the beast.

Use the measurements from the plan not measurements of the cast!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw a video made by an "engineer" who did not know how to use a framing square. I do not expect those of you who do not have rulers to understand. CAD is wonderful but it is not a substitute for drafting skill when it is time to build.
Dwarven Forge makes high quality sets that are compatible with in the limits of the different materials that have been used
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Wed May 10, 2017 11:59 am

The one thing that I really need (from the things revealed so far) is that large 8 inch diameter round room. With KS4 we get large round 4" and 6" rooms which can be integrated into a dungeon fairly easily (maybe a tad high). I am wondering if it will be possible to stack up that large 8" tower to integrate height wise with the Castles - maybe all that is needed is a nice thick 8" diameter platform, a wall section with a stairwell opening, and a 4" radius stair?
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Wed May 10, 2017 11:46 am

AnimeSensei wrote:

Simple answer is:

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Archimagus
Orc
Orc

Post by Archimagus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:21 pm

The size has always varied somewhat in the older resin sets. They have never perfectly lined up. The 2x2 floor piece has never lined up and was never redone. Lay a bunch of them out and you will see what I mean.