KS5 Beans, Teaser Pics & Official Hints

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Re: KS5 Beans, Teaser Pics & Official Hints

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:12 pm

electricmotorcycles wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:47 pm
don't get me wrong, i like it and i will participate in KS5, however, from an architectural standpoint i'm a little confused. first a wall is built from cut stone, then pillars are added, then a arch is put in with some kind of filler maybe even a large cut stone arch piece?
I am guessing that the evil cult that obviously took over a KS1 dungeon felt that the environment too drab and membership was way down, so they hired an evil cult interior designer who advised them that pillars and arches are all the rage with evil cults these days. I just hope the cult does not end up regretting such a dramatic design choice when they try and sell their dungeon in another 10 years only to find out that the dated pillar look is hurting their resale value. Oh well. Live and learn. :D

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 pm

bernyleung wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 pm
As I said, these KS5 flanking pillars look primarily decorative, not structural. That would give some context to how they might be used in a diorama. I doubt any race, magical or not, would build stone walls so poorly that they require lateral structural supports every 10 feet when they're not even supporting a roof.

Then again, any magical/technological race that has the ability to manipulate gravity would not be hampered by their building patterns at all.
It could be that centuries ago the whole place was completely open with arches between pillars and, at some point, it was abandoned until some less sophisticated creatures came along and took over the space. They liked it less open, deciding to brick in the archways and thus creating a maze-like dungeon out of the space... there are all sorts of hand-waving explanations I could come up with. :-)
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:44 pm

What does dwarvenite looks like in its natural state? Only Stefan knows!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:41 pm

I want to know why they made them out of dwarvenite but made them look like stone.
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Wow, a lot of realism is creeping in here.

Yes, it is probably too many pillars from an architectural standpoint, but decorative makes a lot of sense. Maybe there is a god of pillars out there that is finally getting some love and recognition.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 pm

As I said, these KS5 flanking pillars look primarily decorative, not structural. That would give some context to how they might be used in a diorama. I doubt any race, magical or not, would build stone walls so poorly that they require lateral structural supports every 10 feet when they're not even supporting a roof.

Then again, any magical/technological race that has the ability to manipulate gravity would not be hampered by their building patterns at all.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Yeah, other mythical and magical races have some very strange ideas about architecture... what were they thinking? ;-) We will never be able to ask them so we will never know, I guess.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 pm

An arch piece that is somehow suspended between two pillars, but doesn't seem to actually rest on anything.

I guess it depends on what's supposed to be above the arch, and how well that particular wall is integrated into the rest of the structure.

If we don't assume that the stonework itself supports anything above it, then the pillars (and arches) would be the support elements for the structure(s) above. This would only happen in a structure that was designed level by level, rather than as a single multilevel unit, maybe because additional levels were added over time.

It may be that the pillars and arches don't hold anything up, they might have been added to keep the stonework from falling inward. The lower ranks are kept in place by weight, but the upper ranks had a tendency lean out and take the wall with it.

Or maybe they just look cool.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

electricmotorcycles
Goblin
Goblin

Post by electricmotorcycles » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:47 pm

don't get me wrong, i like it and i will participate in KS5, however, from an architectural standpoint i'm a little confused. first a wall is built from cut stone, then pillars are added, then a arch is put in with some kind of filler maybe even a large cut stone arch piece?

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 am

That's a great comparison picture. I can easily imagine mixing the two styles, with the pillared stuff in fancier settings. I hope that a KS3 corner and wall are released that match the pillar style. That would be the proverbial "bees knees".
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com