Castle Cube Spacers

Riley
Orc
Orc

Re: Castle Cube Spacers

Post by Riley » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:07 am

I'm not too worried about the magnets in KS5.

The problems, such as they are, with the wall and block magnets in KS4 are that 1: the stresses are larger with these big heavy and often stacked castle pieces, 2: the embedded magnets and plates are deeper within the plastic shell of these pieces, and magnetic attraction can drop precipitously over distances, and 3: the KS4 magnets are being asked to provide structural support.

The bottom magnets on the KS5 tiles will essentially be right on top of metal plates, with almost no distance separating them. The thin cloth covering on those plates should provide a bit of friction. And they are not being used to hold a structure together- they are just trying to keep tiles from sliding around.

The KS5 magnetic wall accessories should work just like the KS3 wall accessories, and I have found those stick to the walls just fine.

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 am

I hope it won't be the case with KS5 magnetized pieces !
You are terrifying me with this post.

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:25 pm

I love the idea, but the magnets are so weak that they are extremely annoying.

Where I notice it the most is when using them to build double wide castle walls. The walls can slide because the magnets are so weak

Riley
Orc
Orc

Post by Riley » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:56 pm

There are no exposed plates or magnets.

A magnet-to-embedded plate connection is pretty weak.

However, I really like how strongly a pair of these blocks adhere when their oppositely-oriented embedded magnets are placed pointing at each other. I leave them in the drawer in matched pairs, ready to go. It also avoids having same-polarity magnets repelling each other when trying to do a quick build.

dice4hire
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by dice4hire » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:58 am

Yes, and a subtle marking where the magnet is. Magnet is pretty weak though, I thought.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:28 pm

No visible plate. No pins. All sides have stone texture (except bottom). Dwarvenite-G.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Castle Cube Spacers

Post by jackattack » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:06 pm

How did these pieces turn out? Did they suffer from plate-and-pin(hole) modification, or did they remain as originally rendered?

I ask because the image on the DF shopping page shows three different versions. The large image on the left shows two sides with no visible magnet or plate. The smaller images on the right show exposed (or poorly concealed) rectangular plates and what looks like a sealed hole where a magnet might have gone.
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0124.JPG (231.78 KiB) Viewed 713 times
So which version shipped?

Responses appreciated. Photos appreciated more.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch