WHY are the LED metal prongs so dang fragile?!?

period3
Orc
Orc

Re: WHY are the LED metal prongs so dang fragile?!?

Post by period3 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:16 pm

I like the KS4 LED floors, and I like LEDs to light up the window of a building. I bought some LED light posts and they look great, but I don't think I'd ever put out more than a couple. I feel like too many LEDs would make my setup feel like a Christmas village. (I don't have many: four light posts, the two that came with my gatehouse, and an LED floors pack)

So I like them, but in small amounts. At most 4-5 LED elements per table is fine for me so far -- maybe a couple more for city night scenarios.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:11 pm

I've had that thought, too. Lots of KS5 that I'm getting involve LED's and magnets, and while it's cool... it's not going to have the same durability I have been able to enjoy (mostly) so far....

Mobius
Orc
Orc

Post by Mobius » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:21 pm

The LED pieces are beautiful and very cool.

My one issue with LED's is that they're a bit in conflict with why I buy Dwarvenite:
1) Dwarvenite can be dropped or thrown into a big bin with no problems
2) I can let my 4 year-old play with Daddy's Dwarvenite

I've already broken one of my KS3 torch-stands and a KS4 Gatehouse torch by throwing them into a bin without proper care. I'm nervous when my 4-yr old playing with any of the delicate LED pieces (which of course he has to keep switching on and off). So, he can play with all of Daddy's stuff..... except the LED things.

So, LEDs = very cool, but requires more carefulness than I'm used to

Rabbit Burner
Orc
Orc

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:21 pm

I have had no problems swapping leds to either the KS4 curved tower pieces or the gatehouse.
My 50 year old eyes have glasses which magnify slightly (who'd have thought) which helps in good light.

The only minor issue is the SG chromatic orbs have not sat flush to the pedestal (only tried 2) - they look ok though but come apart very easy, but no breakages so far.
I am the Game and I want to Play

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:48 am

pacarat wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:35 pm
Are they using a lighter gauge wire perhaps?

From my electronics lab days and other work projects I don't ever remember breaking an LED pin...
They seem to be stock LEDs, so I don't think they're lower quality... but I guess it could happen that the factory is using an inferior product or bought a batch that were inferior; I really couldn't tell you.

But just like what I used to do in tech support, this would be something I'd make a note of. If I was DF, I'd keep an eye out for other reports since one incident doesn't really provide much information, but it's significant enough in that it's never come up before and could be an issue that affects overall quality of the product.

As I mentioned, I've broken them before, but that's only been due to a LOT of manipulation during prototype development... sometimes, trying to figure out the proper position to bend an LED can mean doing it a couple times and that will fatigue the leads and sometimes break them, however you really have to work at it to do it. I've never seen pins just break, as described, by inserting them directly into the sockets.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

pacarat
Ogre
Ogre

Post by pacarat » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Are they using a lighter gauge wire perhaps?

From my electronics lab days and other work projects I don't ever remember breaking an LED pin...

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 pm

That sounds off to me. While the prongs are delicate, they shouldn't have broken like that. Definitely contact Suzy.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Alarian wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:05 pm
I haven't had bad luck yet, but I also noticed how fragile the pins looked. I was also extremely careful and didn't press more than lightly on anything I inserted. Another problem for me was for my fifty year old eyes, I was unable to insert the lanterns into the posts. After spending 5 minutes futilely trying to get them attached, I had to call over my sixteen year old son to insert them. He got them all in about 30 seconds the little bugger. I've been considering gluing my lanterns to the pillars.
It might be a reasonable idea to glue them, but you'll need to be careful to not get glue in the sockets or you might interfere with the connection. I'd say that you'd be doing it at your own risk.

The reason for them not being attached is to allow further modularity by being able to swap out other LED pieces and to embrace the modding community - people like me who enjoy modifying the pieces.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:40 pm

That is very bad luck. I would recommend contacting Suzy to get replacements.

They really should not have broken off that easily. I'd know as I developed the socket system and can be fairly rough with the LEDs while bending the leads (prongs) when making prototypes.

Alarian
Orc
Orc

Post by Alarian » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:05 pm

I haven't had bad luck yet, but I also noticed how fragile the pins looked. I was also extremely careful and didn't press more than lightly on anything I inserted. Another problem for me was for my fifty year old eyes, I was unable to insert the lanterns into the posts. After spending 5 minutes futilely trying to get them attached, I had to call over my sixteen year old son to insert them. He got them all in about 30 seconds the little bugger. I've been considering gluing my lanterns to the pillars.