Portcullis & Gatehouse Oddities

madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Re: Portcullis & Gatehouse Oddities

Post by madrigalian » Fri May 26, 2017 11:17 am

Yeah... the gargoyle thing is not good. I don't like the aesthetic. It looks entirely out of place.

"Close the Drawbridge!"
"Well, I would love to. If someone hadn't put that damn gargoyle up there..."
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am

Here is a link to a post where I did an alternate build of the gatehouse as you suggest, using the Stone Advanced Builder set.

http://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopic ... 00#p112630

I had issue with the tall posts leaning outward so something might need to be done to help hold the top together. The other "issue" is the doors are not the extreme offset doors, so in some builds they will not open onto the parapets properly. Hence the incarnation of the extreme offset door.

One might be able to drill small holes in the top of the post for the extreme offset door so that the post for the upper wall could be inserted there... but... hmmm... the posts will be too tall or too short as we do not have a floor between them... anyway... more food for thought...

Thunder
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Thunder » Fri May 26, 2017 10:35 am

I don't know how to post pics, but Talistran above shows exactly what I needed to show.

Look at the photo directly below his comment: "Then I put the arrow slit in the back"

You can clearly see the Portcullis Slot directly below the Winch. He could not raise the Portculis in the build he just showed us.

He would have to take the top floor off, which is tricky because of the chains attaching the drawbridge to it - and the shaky magnet back walls - and possibly because you have walls and crenellations on both sides.

Peace.

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Fri May 26, 2017 3:02 am

By the way, my drawbridge comes off. So, not sure why someone was struggling with that.

I really like the drawbridge and manual winch. It works really well. Pauses well at various heights.

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Fri May 26, 2017 2:58 am

Here is how I built the gatehouse with drawbridge upgrade. Lots of pictures, but hope it helps explain things a bit.

Here are the parts I use in this build. Note that all of these parts came as part of my gatehouse (GC) or in the manual drawbridge upgrade. I don't bother putting a crest or crenellations on in this build.

First, I put the front of the gatehouse with the drawbridge over the trapdoor floor. I put the button to spring the trapdoor floor forward, so that the drawbridge covers it and it doesn't get in the way. I chose this position also because there are holes for the portcullis to rest in "carved" into the stone in this orientation so I assume that is how it is meant to be.

Second, I put the back half of the gatehouse onto the trap floor. And then push the two halves together. They hold together fairly well for me. So far so good.

Third, I slide the portcullis in. I like how the slots allow me to have it part way open, part way closed. Works well IMO.

Next, I put the murder hole floor on top.

Then one off-set door wall.

Then the other.

Then I put the front of the second floor in. I already put the chains through the slot and attached the winch to the wall when I assembled it the first time. It is easy, no worries.

Then I put the arrow slit in the back.

I'm going to pause here and comment. So far, so good. The front wall obviously was a new mold just for this drawbridge upgrade. I like it. The off-set doors and arrow slits work well in the back (I'll probably change the back out for a KS3 balcony at some point instead of the arrow slits). I REALLY like this set up.

However, this is where I start wondering what I'm missing or doing wrong. I'll save commentary until I'm done building it even though I just want to scream every time I put in one of these magnetic walls.

Next up, we put a 3/4 magnetic wall. It just hangs out there, doesn't fit into the wall groove on the front. Very unstable.

Add another 3/4 magnetic wall. Still unstable.

Add a magnetic post. Still unstable.

Start the L by adding a 3/4 magnetic wall. It now stands up ok by itself.

Add another 3/4 magnetic wall.

Add a corner post and another 3/4 magnetic wall.

Complete the two sides and back with the last 3/4 magnetic wall. It stays on "ok".

Time for some questions.

DF, what am I missing here? The bottom half of the "second floor" is great! Perfectly done. Congrats! I can use all of my KS3 pieces if I want. Modular, fantastic.

But then the second half of the second floor with all the flimsy, unsecured magnetic pieces. I just don't get it.

For instance, if you had included 8 pieces (all of which already had molds for them created) instead of the 8 magnetic pieces, it would have been so much better, more modular, nicer looking, AND stable.

Include 3 stone KS3 walls and these five pieces from the Advanced Builder Set:

That would have been SO much better. It is so obvious to me that I'm thinking that I must be missing something So, what am I missing DF? I know, that the offset doors have the pin and the post directly in them, so it isn't quite as simple as I made it out to be. But a hole and a new post fixes that problem at wost case scenario.

I have some Advanced Builder sets coming, so I'll be able to "fix" mine but it is sad that I had to spend $83 to fix it and now won't be able to use my AB set for the reasons I had planned.

Alright, hope that this build up with pictures helps. Let me know what I'm missing folks :)

Thanks!
Last edited by Talistran on Fri May 26, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 pm

I would love to comment with more authority on this, but unfortunately I'm still waiting for my sets and can only really comment on the prototypes since I had very little input during production and am not sure what changes/adjustments were made in the final production version.

However, it was my understanding that the drawbridge is removable, so I'm not sure why you couldn't remove it from the gatehouse and get the use you are looking for out of it.

As for the portcullis and winch - I haven't heard from anyone else that there's an issue with the winch stopping the portcullis from raising... or do you mean that it can't be raised all the way?... maybe some pictures would help to sort out what you're describing.

The gargoyle was added in production because if the drawbridge is pulled flush with the wall then when trying to lower the drawbridge there's not enough weight to do it. In real life a drawbridge being lowered has a lot of weight for gravity to help pull it down. With miniatures you'd need to make that out of lead and probably a lot thicker in order to have the equivalent weight for gravity to work properly on it... which in turn would require more force on the winch (either by hand or mechanically). Most real medieval drawbridges wouldn't have been fully raised into a vertical position, either... and, from what I understand, there were many different designs.

The gatehouse was designed as a gatehouse with many functional elements (portcullis, drawbridge, wall braziers, trap door, working doors) and as such had it's own set of unique challenges. Many of the castle pieces can actually be used to extend builds with CBS and the other sets. The gatehouse might be a tad more limited, but I don't think the solution would have been to make it more like CBS since a castle absolutely needs a grand castle entrance. That's quite literally the core concept we developed the gatehouse around. Check out the Castle Builds thread for some already great and unique castle builds, some of which involve the gatehouse.
Last edited by jchunick on Fri May 26, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Thunder
Goblin
Goblin

Portcullis & Gatehouse Oddities

Post by Thunder » Thu May 25, 2017 9:07 pm

I have two full gate houses and only one Portcullis. First world problem to be sure.

Does anybody have any spiffy ideas for making a second one.

I bought the Battlements Mega pack, Gate House, Grand Citadel & Manual Drawbridge Upgrade Kit - all have pieces for the gate houses and only one portcullis amongst them all.

Two small odd things:
1) The Drawbridge Winch Wall has a Gargoyle glued to it which prevents the Drawbridge from completely closing
2) When the winch is in place, the portcullis won't raise or lower, because the winch blocks it.

I also wonder why the gate house was molded as it was. I wonder why it could not have been done more effectively using the CBS system, Just make a 2 story Door panel and a 2 story Drawbridge panel. Then you could use these panels in other CBS builds outside of a Gatehouse.

I would buy more panels to create 3 door Gate Houses, with a small constable's office off to the side between the first 2 gates. There are lots of castles with outside gates that did not use a drawbridge, the way these are configured you pretty much have to use the drawbridge.

Peace