jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Portcullis & Gatehouse Oddities

Post by jchunick » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Thunder wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:18 pm
Jchunick,

If you look back one page you will see folks discussing the peg and dimple system. The best "fix" that works so far is a daughters black hair band. :)

I was using an elastic band, but now have switched to a black hair band and it works. The drawbridge winch part just needs to be pinched together.

Peace
Edit: Thanks. I missed that post. It's very similar to the solution I came up with.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Thunder
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Thunder » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Jchunick,

If you look back one page you will see folks discussing the peg and dimple system. The best "fix" that works so far is a daughters black hair band. :)

I was using an elastic band, but now have switched to a black hair band and it works. The drawbridge winch part just needs to be pinched together.

Peace

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:49 pm

So, I finally received my stuff last Monday spent the week inventorying and playing. Coming across this thread again, I noticed the comments about the gargoyle figure that's supposed to stop the drawbridge from coming up to a completely vertical position. I anticipate some push back on this because the clarification I'm about to make might be subtle to some, but the gargoyle isn't actually causing the drawbridge to fall. The issue is solely with the implementation of the peg/dimple system. Unfortunately, the flaw in the design is not the actual design, but the flexible plastic and tolerances. I haven't had the time to build a version of it yet that addresses these issues, but I can say that if I press my fingers on either end so the peg can stick solidly into the dimples then the system works as designed as I use the winch. I'll post a video in a bit to show this.
Last edited by jchunick on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:07 am

That's not really the purpose of the walls as far as I'm aware... could be wrong, though.
Last edited by jchunick on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:12 am

So took some pictures of accessing the winch without dismantling the gatehouse.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WGvDWd]Image

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WXwXjk]Image

What I noticed is that if you get your magnet polarisation the wrong way then the walls will jut out - but a quick bit of experimentation and then they will fit flush :)
I am the Game and I want to Play

Rabbit Burner
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:17 pm

As far as I remember the magnetic walls around the winch are to allow easy access to the winch without taking off any crenelations or further square tower.
Personally whilst not as sturdy as CBS I don't find it that unstable especially with crenellations on top. Maybe it depends on if you need to move it or not.
I got the motorised winch and I am very happy with it :) no problem holding the drawbridge up.
The gargoyle makes sense as a vertical drawbridge makes little sense not using gravity - I did initially wonder why it was strategically placed to stop the drawbridge from closing completely.
I am the Game and I want to Play

evandariel
Goblin
Goblin

Post by evandariel » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:15 pm

I don't think I have it installed the wrong way... there is only one orientation that the pegs will fit in the wall correctly? I see the little nubs on the winch that were mentioned, but mine is basically free spinning and those do absolutely nothing. The nubs are almost invisible, if they are to catch the winch they should definitely have been deeper or something. Plus the bit that would catch in those grooves is not even touching. Considering the plastic used I don't really want to squeeze it together too much.
These people are good people here....except jason.

Talistran
Orc
Orc

Post by Talistran » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:43 am

My winch works just fine and holds itself in place. Maybe you have it installed the wrong way? Mine didn't hold itself up until I flipped it around. Now I can winch it up, and it catches like every quarter inch or so on the chain. I have a bunch of catch points from fully open to fully closed (against the griffin).

As to the magnet walls... Yah, they are the one thing that I think went horribly wrong with the KS4 design. There is nothing that I can do to rationalize that decision in my mind. And the only way to fix it IMO is to buy an advanced builder kit which now makes the gate house a $170 purchase instead of an $80 purchase.

evandariel
Goblin
Goblin

Post by evandariel » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:46 am

Man, I really dislike the magnet walls that are unattached to anything for the top of the drawbridge. I couldn't even figure out what I was supposed to do until I saw pics here. Definitely would have been better with ABS floor spacers and a few KS3 walls or something.

My manual winch also does not stay up. When Josh posted the way the winch would work during the KS, there was a lever in that open window to stop the winch at any point. Now there is not. So I got an open window, I guess to try raising it from the outside (even though it will fall open in between pushing it) and a winch that completely unravels no matter what you do. Would have been better with an actual crank. Is my winch broken, or what? It won't stay fully raised let alone any position in between.
These people are good people here....except jason.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:56 pm

I bet one of my daughter's black hair bands would work, and be less noticeable if left on permanently.