KS4 Peer Pledge Review

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS4 Peer Pledge Review

Post by kitenerd » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:50 am

Had to post that my battery was dying.

Probably need Alternate Floors but waiting to see Tower Tie In

As it stands i am still under 1,000 painted, but i will likely drop a few things to get lower bcause there is LOTS of goodness still to come
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:29 am

Ok... Here is roughly what i am thinking

Watchtower
Ramparts (or Gatehouse & Straight Walls)

Tower Breakout (cheap addl level plus corner platforms)
Rampart Innside Walls (these may get cut and bought later)
Ramparts Crenelations (have ks3 want 2 sided and tippy pots to augment - i really want 2 packs)
Castle Double Thick (for cubes and posts extra platforms are a bonus - if cuts need to be made i could get the cube only pack or wait until retail)
Batter Base (too cool)
2x Stone Bridge (by far my favorite peoce in this KS)
Small Tower Palace (to go on top of Watchtower to make wizards tower)
Small Round Crenellations (to lt it stand alone with ks1 lower floors)
Mountain Floors (likely dropped and left for retail)
Mountain Cliff (likely dropped and left for retail

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 am

I really love how we can pledge for one level, get the crenelations for a different level and the inner walls for a third level - really makes each pledge unique

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:20 pm

OK, with so many add-on packs seemingly still to come, it is difficult to get a good feel for what the final pledge will look like. My slightly downsized new version:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Base pledge: Grand Citadel (painted) - 980$

Castle crenellation pack (painted) – 88$ ------- [lets me complete GC crenel. w/KS3 stuff]
Castle Inside Walls pack (painted) - 86$ -------[want those corner walls so no Rampart]
Ramparts double-thick wall pack (painted) - 66$ ------- [don't need corner posts]
Batter base pack (painted) – 59$ ------- [versatile]

Tower breakout pack (painted) X2? –------- [Waiting on better configured tower packs]
Tower break-in pack (painted) X2? -

Stone bridge (painted) X2 – 48$
Erinthor Mountains Megapack (painted) – 385$
------- [easily dropped for a couple smaller cliff packs at this point until I can better see what it can make]

Total 1708 + Tower break-in/out

----------------------------------------------------------------
If these new tower break-in/out packs are well-constructed, I can avoid thinking about alternate floors/floor extensions and can downsize crenellation pack above. The Mountain Megapack is really on the bubble as it currently is about 1/4 of my total pledge.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

KS4 Peer Pledge Review

Post by zenmaster » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:37 pm

Blinky started a peer pledge review thread for KS3 that was invaluable to me in coming up with the perfect pledge for my needs. Seeing other people's pledges and thoughts on them led many to refine their pledges well.

There are enough add-on packs out there, that I think I can make a first stab at what my final pledge will be. Roof and moat packs are not out yet, but the basic outlines of the castle are in place, as are mountains/cliffs, so here goes:

----------------------------------------------------

My build goals:

1) Be able to build castle and mountain scenes for use in DCC RPG campaigns. I am not big into building dioramas for their own sake, as space is extremely limited in Hong Kong.
2) Allow my kids (currently 4 and 8) to be able to play with the pieces creatively. My 1st goal may have allowed me to get away without being able to build a complete castle, but my kids would not stand for that :P.

My aesthetic considerations:

1) As my main use will be for RPG play, I will opt for the “fortified” look over the “palace” look every time. Don't need the Disneyland castle look. Castles were first and foremost defensive installations back in the day, and princesses can live in those just as well as a Cinderella style castle, so the “palace” look is a waste of money for me. My kids won't mind; the castles will look cool regardless.
2) I like the look of round towers. I want to be able to build watchtowers, wizards' towers, and round tower keeps. I can build square towers for keeps and castles if need be with KS3 battlements, so getting the pieces to build cool large round towers in KS4 is a big objective.

My monetary considerations:

I missed KS1 but ended up buying 1000$ or so worth of its stuff from the DF store. Stuff is so modular, that was plenty for me. I spent A LOT on KS2. There were dungeon passages and so much awesome caverns stuff that I went big at around 2000$. KS3 was not a huge priority for me, but I wanted basic city/village builds and some of the add-ons were versatile and good value. Avoided streets but got the monster sewer pack. Ended up spending about 1500$. Got 1 set each of wall and tower battlements in that, lessening my needs in this KS4.

I have neither the time nor the ability to paint my pieces, so everything will be bought fully painted. I want to keep KS4 spending within my past DF KS spending range at least.

Thus, my budget for KS4 is between 1000 and 2000$.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My current pledge idea

Base pledge: Grand Citadel (painted) - 980$

While in KS3 I did not pledge at the top tier, for this castle KS, I think going big or going home is somewhat the proper credo. The GC gives the basics of 2 round towers which I absolutely must have, as well as lots of flooring, enough wall and corner wall pieces to do any type of smaller scene well, and the gatehouse of course. The sheer number of pieces allows me to be much more selective in add-on packs.

Add-on packs (Castle-themed):

Castle crenellation pack (painted) – 88$
Tower breakout pack (painted) X2 – 56$
Tower break-in pack (painted) X2? - est. 50$ ?? (currently unreleased)
Castle Inside Walls pack (painted) - 86$
Castle double-thick wall pack (painted) - 80$
Large Tower – Fortified (painted) - 98$
Batter base pack (painted) – 59$

Add-on packs (Non-castle):

Stone bridge (painted) X2 – 48$
Erinthor Mountains Megapack (painted) – 385$

Total Pledge: 1930$

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick rationales:

Grand Citadel base pledge for the 2 towers and enough walls, platforms, corners etc. for a full castle or a variety of smaller builds.

Castle level add-on packs for crenellations, Inside Walls and double-thick walls because I have battlements from KS3 and only feel the need for enough walls/spacers etc. to do some versatile builds. If future add-ons beckon strongly, may consider bumoing the inside walls and double thick walls down to Rampart level to stay within budget.

Tower breakout because I need to make full round towers :P. Tower breakins because I will want the indent crenellation pieces, and may have other useful pieces to make it cheaper and more useful than buying the GC crenellation pack (which has way too many extraneous crenellations given my KS3 battlements)

Large Tower – Fortified to make a monster large tower if need be. If Df “fixes” the tower breakout packs to give more floors, My GC pledge with tower breakouts may allow me to skip this pack. Here's hoping! That would be 100$ that will go to roofs or moats or such.

Batter base pack was going to be a “no” for me, but Nate's latest video showed its versatility.

Stone bridge X2 because it is cool, versatile, and relatively cheap.

I am very on the fence about the mountain megapack. If future add-ons beckon strongly, I think downgrading to a bit of the smaller mountain packs will be forthcoming. I have enough caverns stuff with elevation and chasms, that I don't think I need the megapack. Awaiting a good Nate build to show me more possibilities for this pack.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts on these rationales or any thoughts on your own pledge ideas, please post them!

I am thinking of ways to downsize my pledge effectively for sure. Discussion should help all of us frame our thinking on what to pledge for!
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.