KS4 Peer Pledge Review

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS4 Peer Pledge Review

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:29 am

OMG I am so lost if I have everything I need to integrate my add ons.

Am I missing anything? I want the ability to have 4 towers on my castle. I want the most amount of sculpts possible as well.

Main Pledge
1 X Grand Citadel - Expertly Hand Painted ($980)
Add-ons
1 X Citadel/Grand Citadel Inside Wall Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($148)
1 X Citadel / Grand Citadel Double Thick Wall Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($198)
1 X Batter Base - Expertly Hand Painted ($59)
1 X Large Tower - Palace - Expertly Hand Painted ($89)
2 X Small Tower - Fortified - Expertly Hand Painted ($108)
2 X Small Tower - Palace - Expertly Hand Painted ($108)
1 X Alternate Floors - Expertly Hand Painted ($36)
2 X Wall to Tower Transition - Expertly Hand Painted ($108)
1 X Castle Roof Mega Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($225)
2 X Stone Bridge Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($48)
1 X Motorized Drawbridge - Expertly Hand Painted ($89)
2 X Stone Advanced Builder Set - Expertly Hand Painted ($166)
1 X Grand Citadel Crenellation Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($164)
2 X Small Round Crenellations - Expertly Hand Painted ($60)
1 X Erinthor Mountains - Expertly Hand Painted ($385)

By having these, I don't need the GC Tower Breakout add-on, right?
106 Resin and 145 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

NinjaMeesta
Orc
Orc

Post by NinjaMeesta » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:40 am

zenmaster wrote:Wow, all these late add-on packs are changing all the equations. The Count's Castle looks awesome, but I still want large towers more than small ones, so I will wait to see what other prebuilt pledge levels they come up with.
Yes, I'm liking the looks of the different pledge levels. I do prefer the smaller towers, but it's easy to throw in a pack of extensions, and buy 6" tower walls if I want bump things up a notch. It will allow me to spend more on..bling. :D

jameswood
Goblin
Goblin

Post by jameswood » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:10 am

thank you zenmaster

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:03 am

Wow, all these late add-on packs are changing all the equations. The Count's Castle looks awesome, but I still want large towers more than small ones, so I will wait to see what other prebuilt pledge levels they come up with. The prebuilds leaving me with a bunch of nonoptimal crenellations for me is also a concern; I am STILL waiting on battlements along with other people, to decide on topping my castles.

Those CBS packs just added $ to my pledge, but I am not complaining! Need to reserve some budget for at least 1 or 2 promised small throne room theme packs as well. Any LED pieces they want to give me for free, fine, but easy for me to ignore and not pay for.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:55 pm

jameswood wrote:i reall need to plan out what i am gonna buy.

what is best bang for your buck so far for medium size castle ?
If you just want a full castle with no towers, the base pledge level castle does a good job, with 1 castle crennelation pack. Castle double-thick walls or inside walls also help flesh it out and provide some versatile pieces. Maybe Castle, Castle cren pack, castle inside walls?

If you want towers integrated into your castle walls, that is where things get trickier, and your question may still be an open one :? .

Once you decide how many towers you want, and whether or not you want large or small towers or both, then you can decide on add-ons. If you may want two large towers like I do, Grand Citadel base pledge might make sense but it gives you a bigger castle and a price to match, and makes choosing add-ons potentially a bit trickier. For towers, many people seem to be going with a watchtower pledge + another base or + a bunch of add-ons to make an enclosed castle with towers if desired. Or else, a castle pledge with small tower add-ons and tower break-in packs?I have not done that HW yet, so I can't give more specific advice at present.

The other question is how many previous KS pieces you own. Having KS3 battlements, stone buildings, and/or Dungeon pieces even can allow you to just get a gatehouse and/or ramparts base pledge with whatever add-ons you need pieces to build, like a round tower for instance. It appears the small 4" towers go well with CBS or even Dungeon curved wall pieces. As an aside, the cube spacers (in cube spacer pack) can function as walls or other pieces in a pinch.

Many are waiting on other semi-promised add-ons before finalizing what to do (even deciding on base pledges). I think people will be updating their ideas as these add-ons soon appear.

jameswood
Goblin
Goblin

Post by jameswood » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:04 pm

i reall need to plan out what i am gonna buy.

what is best bang for your buck so far for medium size castle ?

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:17 am

Mydienon, it is like you channeled my thoughts long distance. I could replace your name with mine as the author of your post above and not change a single word, I think!

Mydienon
Orc
Orc

Post by Mydienon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:11 am

cawshis wrote:Mydieon-

Yes. I believe that the pieces you're getting will provide a large variety of castle configs and with the add ons, you should have a "complete" set in that you can make complete GC or 2 towers and walls. YOu won't have the inside walls, which (to me) looks like they provide stability but you'll have everything else.
Thanks! Yes, the Inside Walls pack is one of the add-ons I will likely purchase. However, I was trying to get my base pledge correct first -- once I know I can build a variety of castles and towers, then I can select add-ons for fun (and expanded variety) rather than necessity.
Kryzsko wrote:It is so difficult to figure this out yet. I know I want battlements rather than crenelations, but have no idea what they are going to run price wise.
I didn't know a Battlements Pack was in the works. Thank you! Yes, that would probably replace my Grand Citadel Crenelation add-on for my base pledge. Hopefully we'll see it soon...
zenmaster wrote:@Mydienon - The problem with the tower breakout pack they rushed out is mainly (or only) the floors. It does not break out two complete towers of normal height floors. At least 2 floors are missing. Some floor extensions are missing. There is at least 1 other small problem with the existing breakout, I think, but it is lost to me in the abyss of old KS comments. Several DFers have mentioned a "fix" is in the works.

Your proposed pledge will be missing perhaps the most versatile piece in the campaign so far, the cube spacers. Those come in the inside walls packs or the cube spacer pack.

The problem for Grand Citadel backers who already have some KS3 crenellations is that none of the smaller crenellation packs have the "indent crenellation" pieces to seamlessly crenellate the towers built into the walls. DF included these indents in the "straight crenellation pack" assortment but that runs 102$ painted and has a whole bunch of stuff I don't want or need.. Knightess said the "Tower Breakin" pack would have the indent crenellations at a lower price, but that is one of the zillion add-ons we are still awaiting.

Hope that helps.
Thank you, zenmaster -- yes, that helps a lot. After searching a bit, it looks like I'd need two Tower Breakout packs in the current configuration if I wanted to make two towers. So my base pledge changes to (painted) $980 Grand Citadel pledge + $164 for Grand Citadel crenelation add-on + $56 for 2x Tower Breakout = $1200.

Based on a few other comments, it looks like the Grand Citadel crenelation add-on may be overkill. I could probably reduce it to a smaller add-on, and add the Straight Crenelation Pack...

And a Tower Break-In pack? And cube spacers? And (again based on comments) it sounds like the GC Double Thick Walls are also pretty important...

Okay, I'm beginning to understand the complexity now. I was hoping to spend around $2K to get a comprehensive castle package with lots of modularity and variety. At one time, I was thinking of getting two GC pledges, which I thought were the best price and offered plenty of modularity even without add-ons.

The more I read, the more it seems like the best pledge level is the Ramparts or the Watch Tower (or multiples of these), and then a whole bunch of add-ons. It costs more, but that seems to be the best way to achieve a good modular castle.

I'll have to revisit this next week, when hopefully all the remaining add-ons are shown and priced, and any current add-ons and pledge levels have the announced revisions completed.

Since pledge levels are usually restricted in the pledge manager, but add-ons are not, maybe I'll go ahead and double my pledge to two Grand Citadels, and then try to figure out what I'm actually going to buy after the Kickstarter ends. That's kind of counter-intuitive (I'd rather have my pledge well defined at it's maximum during the Kickstarter campaign, to help hit higher stretch goals) but if Dwarven Forge prefers to offer revisions and updates late in the campaign, maybe it's their goal to have backers increase their pledges later? Are the fees lower for additions to pledges after the campaign?

I'd argue that the value of increased exposure during the Kickstarter campaign (from higher funding totals, excited backers increasing their pledge for each new add-on, and hitting ever more awesome stretch goals) is greater than post-campaign increases, even if the fees are lower later. I'd rather get $900K during the campaign by attracting an extra 500 new backers, than get $1M after the campaign from quiet pledge increases by existing customers.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:33 am

Kryzsko wrote:It is so difficult to figure this out yet. Add-ons I want but have not yet been released:
Battlements
moat/water
Roofs
Platforms/trays
castle floors
ruins
buttresses
what ever those little balcony things are that hang off the side of the towers
new alley street pieces
LED pieces
miniatures
the bridge that can connect two towers
CBS stuff
Likely stuff I am forgetting or have not seen

This is getting crazy.
Concur!

Add - tower break-in pack, improved tower breakout... and the Necromancer's Lair announcement mentioned "other themed castle packs". At some point I thought someone at DF was promising those "easy pledges" too of DF picking essentials to make 1 specific build. At the rate the add-on packs have been released, most of the above might come out by KS5 ;-).

@Mydienon - The problem with the tower breakout pack they rushed out is mainly (or only) the floors. It does not break out two complete towers of normal height floors. At least 2 floors are missing. Some floor extensions are missing. There is at least 1 other small problem with the existing breakout, I think, but it is lost to me in the abyss of old KS comments. Several DFers have mentioned a "fix" is in the works.

Your proposed pledge will be missing perhaps the most versatile piece in the campaign so far, the cube spacers. Those come in the inside walls packs or the cube spacer pack.

The problem for Grand Citadel backers who already have some KS3 crenellations is that none of the smaller crenellation packs have the "indent crenellation" pieces to seamlessly crenellate the towers built into the walls. DF included these indents in the "straight crenellation pack" assortment but that runs 102$ painted and has a whole bunch of stuff I don't want or need.. Knightess said the "Tower Breakin" pack would have the indent crenellations at a lower price, but that is one of the zillion add-ons we are still awaiting.

Hope that helps.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:47 pm

It is so difficult to figure this out yet. I know I want battlements rather than crenelations, but have no idea what they are going to run price wise. I know I will get the Grand Citadel and the breakout pack, but after that it all depends too much on upcoming packs. I would like a mega mountain pack but may have to skip it and focus on castles packs. I know I will skip the mechanical gatehouse (most likely too expensive) as my pledge level already comes with a nice gatehouse. Add-ons I want but have not yet been released:
Battlements
moat/water
Roofs
Platforms/trays
castle floors
ruins
buttresses
what ever those little balcony things are that hang off the side of the towers
new alley street pieces
LED pieces
miniatures
the bridge that can connect two towers