KS4 Peer Pledge Review

cawshis
Goblin
Goblin

Re: KS4 Peer Pledge Review

Post by cawshis » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:29 pm

Gods. To have lots more money to spend would be glorious, but sadly, I don't think I can build my Barbie Dream Castle this time around - with that in mind, I think I'm going to have to grab things I know I can use all the time in every session of play. To that end:

Current Pledge:
Pledge Total: $ 1330

Main Pledge
1 X Watchtower - Expertly Hand Painted ($260)
Add-ons
1 X Batter Base - Expertly Hand Painted ($59)
1 X Cathedral Roof - Expertly Hand Painted ($48)
1 X Square Tower Balcony & Bridge Base - Expertly Hand Painted ($33)
1 X Large Tower Balcony & Bridge Base - Expertly Hand Painted ($35)
1 X Castle Stairs Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($60)
1 X Stone Advanced Builder Set - Expertly Hand Painted ($83)
2 X Square Castle Tower - Expertly Hand Painted ($208)
1 X Tower Bridge - Expertly Hand Painted ($21)
2 X Corner Battlements - Expertly Hand Painted ($74)
1 X Straight Battlements - Expertly Hand Painted ($64)
1 X Erinthor Mountains - Expertly Hand Painted ($385)

Essentially, I've focused on expanding my CBS stuff and adding in the mountains for the outdoor encounter and CBS possibilities. It isn't the most exciting pledge and I'm dreading missing out on the stretch goals (though there is some rumor that maybe stretch goals will be added), but I think with all my current sets, I can make some pretty cool structures.

Things I'd like to add:
Cube Spacers
Large Tower Accesories:
Ways to add in the tower against CBs and more crens/roof/wall options.

I hope I can expand into a true castle over time!

Himajin
Orc
Orc

Post by Himajin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Vegomatic wrote:Another nice configuration!

I see you have more walls to make it bigger, but do not have floors to fill the space. You have covered breaking out the towers (other than the corners). Would a Corner pack give you what you need to fill the corners? I may be mistaken, but I believe the inside corner piece is the equivalent of the combined insert wall and 3/4 insert walls. Perhaps someone can confirm that?

The corner pack also allows you to add bends to the wall... so more flexibility.

The next thing would be bigger towers... and you plan to do that later. Looking good!
Thanks for the input! Yeah, the floor packs weren't out when I put that together, but I'll probably pick up a few of them as well. I could just use the KS3 sidewalk pieces, but the 8x8 tiles could be useful for other things, too.

It sounds like they have a breakout pack for 4-inch towers in the works, so that should solve my other problem, but you do have a point about the corner walls adding more flexibility.

I really wish I could grab a couple of 6-inch towers, too, but I don't think I can stretch the budget that far this year.

hauntedcity
Kobold
Kobold

Post by hauntedcity » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:50 am

I'd love to get everyone's input. My absolute maximum pledge is $600. So, of course, I'm aiming to keep it under $800. :D ahem...

I want to have a large tower and a small castle (size of the Castle pledge), and make those as flexible and modular as possible. Here's what I'm looking at...

Watchtower (painted) 260 (gets me one set of stretch goals)
Gatehouse (painted) 85
Straight Walls (painted) 78
Corner Walls (painted) x2 = 180
Cube Spacers (UNpainted) 35 (SO FLEXIBLE!)
Batter Base (UNpainted) 42 (again, I love the flexibility, and ability to snap the tower to a grid)
Lg Tower Roof (UNpainted) 22
Wall/Tower Transition (UNpainted) 40
Courtyard Floor (Unpainted) 57
=======================================
Grand Total $799
ONLY $199 over my maximum (ahem), and a whopping $1 under by "real" maximum!

I tried to go painted as much as possible, but I'm not afraid to paint extra pieces to save 10 or 20 bucks here and there.

So, any thoughts?

Thanks!
Doug

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:40 am

Vegomatic is spot on in his assessments, as always! (A good rule of thumb-- you can never have enough floors, period.)

I am still absorbing the sheer volume of recent add-ons. The toughest call for me is figuring out exactly how I want to top my castle or castle section builds. What is my ideal option? How many options am I willing to pay for? I will be posting my revised pledge soon hopefully, once I get a handle on that.
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:54 am

Himajin wrote:This is the first KS where I'm still a bit stumped at this point.

My plan is to leave the 6-inch towers for now and work from a Count's Castle pledge that already includes 4-inch towers.
1 x Count's Castle
2 x Straight Walls (to increase to Citadel size)
2 x Ramparts Inside Walls (to pair with the above)
1 x Castle Crenellations (should cover the extra walls when combined with the Count's Castle ones)
1 x Citadel Double Thick Walls (I wanted the spacers for various reasons, so I figured I might as well get them this way)
2 x Wizard's Outpost (for the extra round roofs, plus unique pieces and extra 4-inch tower walls in case I want to break them out)
1 x Motorized Drawbridge

One thing I really need is some of the Corner Fill Walls and 3/4 Corner Fill Walls in case I want to use the castle without the towers, so I'm hoping that becomes an option. I also need to work out whether I need more small tower floors/walls so I can build different configurations.

Any other obvious omissions with regards to adding maximum flexibility to the castle?
Another nice configuration!

I see you have more walls to make it bigger, but do not have floors to fill the space. You have covered breaking out the towers (other than the corners). Would a Corner pack give you what you need to fill the corners? I may be mistaken, but I believe the inside corner piece is the equivalent of the combined insert wall and 3/4 insert walls. Perhaps someone can confirm that?

The corner pack also allows you to add bends to the wall... so more flexibility.

The next thing would be bigger towers... and you plan to do that later. Looking good!

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:32 am

Arravis wrote:Hey guys, I am considering one of two alternatives and I'd love opinions as to which would give me the most versatility at the largest bang for the buck (wildly conflicting and different as those two things may be defined).

Option 1 ($2,007 painted):
Count's Castle + Watchtower
Rampart Inside Wall Pack
2 Straight Walls Pack
Modular Wall of Doom
2 Batter Base
2 Large Tower-Palace
Small Tower-Palace
Large Tower Roofs Pack
Square Roof Platform Pack
Large Tower Balcony & Bridge Base
Stone Advanced Builder Set
Tower Bridge
Straight Crenellation Assortment
Straight Battlements

Option 2 ($1,950 painted)
The Royal Stronghold

All suggestions and comments welcome... been gnashing teeth over this one.
Wow! That is a tough comparison. Both have advantages and disadvantages...

I like Option 1 better. It feels like it has more usable pieces and has the ability to make more configurations... especially when you consider the bridge, batter bases and that you can make two large towers from the Watchtower and the Large Palace Tower add-ons. You have enough added walls to make it citadel sized and the flexibility to add the large tower(s) into it as well.

I don't know how you intend to use it, but I might consider adding some double thick walls... and probably not even for the whole thing - just castle size. The 2x2x2 blocks and wall platforms could come in handy.

I can play devil's advocate and say I like the other option better! ;)

edit: As I mentioned before, I have no idea how you plan to use it, but you have extra walls to make it bigger and no extra floors to fill in the void... have you thought about that?

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:03 am

Oh, and do you plan to use KS3 crenellations on the top of the square tower? If not you may want to consider a Straight Crenellations Assortment or a Corner Battlement pack to finish it out (regardless of how you build it). They also have KS3 crenellation packs in the DF store...

The advantage of the Straight Crenellations Assortment is that it gives you the High Crenellation Corners that match those on the Castle - and Indented Crenellations so you can incorporate the Watch Tower into the castle more seamlessly.

The advantage of the Corner Battlement Pack is that it is less expensive. However the castle does not use Battlements so these will be bigger and bolder than the crenellations. They would look really good if the square tower was built stand alone, or as a keep rising up in the center of the castle.. but I digress.

I just wanted to point out that the tower might look unfinished without a topper of some sort.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:31 am

MaxKaladin wrote:I've got to admit that I'm really confused at this point. So many options and I'm not at all clear what all I need to put together to get a versatile set but not wind up missing something critical. I'm also not sure what I need/can safely avoid since I did the other three KS (and put waaaayyyy too much money into KS3).

For my gaming, I'd really like a 6" tower and some pieces I can use to make sections of a castle/keep. My current thoughts (below) are to get the Watchtower and the Count's Castle plus some extra tower pieces and some of the pieces for the previous Kickstarters. I keep having this feeling that I can probably do a lot of what the Count's Castle does with existing pieces but I'm not really sure (and all of that stuff is packed away right now where I can't get it out and look).

This is what I'm currently looking at:
Pledge Total: $ 1482
The shipping destination will be within the United States.

Main Pledge
1 X The Count's Castle - Expertly Hand Painted ($790)
Add-ons
1 X Modular Wall of Doom - Expertly Hand Painted ($24)
1 X Large Tower - Palace - Expertly Hand Painted ($89)
1 X Large Tower Roofs Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($32)
1 X Square Roof Platform Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($58)
1 X Square Castle Tower - Expertly Hand Painted ($104)
1 X Suspended Parapet Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($36)
1 X Motorized Drawbridge Upgrade - Expertly Hand Painted ($89)
Welcome to the forum!

Nice build. You mention that you have a lot of KS3 pieces... in light of that you might want to swap out the Square Castle Tower for the Stone Advanced Builder Set.

The only new pieces in the Square Castle Tower are the stone stairs (which you will get several with the Count's Castle) and the extreme offset doors... of which you get only 1 of each. You do get a roof platform (but you list a square roof platform add-on pack which gives you 4 of these ) and four Gargoyle Posts... if you need those, this is a way to get them. The rest is standard stone building parts from KS3.

The Stone Advanced Builder Set gives you two each of the extreme offset doors and you get the new 2x4 floors and small walls for making smaller rooms with City Builder as well as several potential applications in other builds. You also get the tall corner posts which have application in castle builds as well as making rooms in your city that are two floors high (with no intermediary floor). This set costs less as well. You can still build square towers, just use the doors from this set and your already existing stone walls and floors.

That would be my suggestion. :-)

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:35 pm

Hey guys, I am considering one of two alternatives and I'd love opinions as to which would give me the most versatility at the largest bang for the buck (wildly conflicting and different as those two things may be defined).

Option 1 ($2,007 painted):
Count's Castle + Watchtower
Rampart Inside Wall Pack
2 Straight Walls Pack
Modular Wall of Doom
2 Batter Base
2 Large Tower-Palace
Small Tower-Palace
Large Tower Roofs Pack
Square Roof Platform Pack
Large Tower Balcony & Bridge Base
Stone Advanced Builder Set
Tower Bridge
Straight Crenellation Assortment
Straight Battlements

Option 2 ($1,950 painted)
The Royal Stronghold

All suggestions and comments welcome... been gnashing teeth over this one.

MaxKaladin

Post by MaxKaladin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:28 pm

I've got to admit that I'm really confused at this point. So many options and I'm not at all clear what all I need to put together to get a versatile set but not wind up missing something critical. I'm also not sure what I need/can safely avoid since I did the other three KS (and put waaaayyyy too much money into KS3).

For my gaming, I'd really like a 6" tower and some pieces I can use to make sections of a castle/keep. My current thoughts (below) are to get the Watchtower and the Count's Castle plus some extra tower pieces and some of the pieces for the previous Kickstarters. I keep having this feeling that I can probably do a lot of what the Count's Castle does with existing pieces but I'm not really sure (and all of that stuff is packed away right now where I can't get it out and look).

This is what I'm currently looking at:
Pledge Total: $ 1482
The shipping destination will be within the United States.

Main Pledge
1 X The Count's Castle - Expertly Hand Painted ($790)
Add-ons
1 X Modular Wall of Doom - Expertly Hand Painted ($24)
1 X Large Tower - Palace - Expertly Hand Painted ($89)
1 X Large Tower Roofs Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($32)
1 X Square Roof Platform Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($58)
1 X Square Castle Tower - Expertly Hand Painted ($104)
1 X Suspended Parapet Pack - Expertly Hand Painted ($36)
1 X Motorized Drawbridge Upgrade - Expertly Hand Painted ($89)