Tower Transition w/ Cutout Corner Wall?

Please restrict your posting in this Forum to questions for Jenney. Jenney will answer questions in the Codex Valoria. You may carry on discussions in the Pre-Kickstarter News and the Kickstarter 4 Discussion Forums.
StevenO
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Tower Transition w/ Cutout Corner Wall?

Post by StevenO » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:36 pm

In a way.

The only places to get a corner spacer are the Corner Wall pack, which is two full corners complete with inside walls, or a castle/citadel level pledge. The CoCW may not be very expensive but anyone looking to to use it is certainly going to be in for a big pledge already.

As mentioned before, having it included would also help make the CoCW a good T intersection piece.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:49 pm

StevenO wrote:That's only when you already have a solid corner.
By "solid corner", do you mean "corner spacer"?

If so, I guess your point is you are suggesting that both the "corner wall" set AND the "cutout corner wall" set do include a "corner spacer". I strongly suspect that the "corner wall" set is priced at $90 while the "cutout corner wall" set is priced at only $19 because the "corner space" is very expensive to produce (1" thick, metal embedded, high volume footprint for packing). I would rather not have this piece be also included in the "cutout corner wall" for the sake of affordability but be available for purchase separately as its own add-on.

StevenO
Goblin
Goblin

Post by StevenO » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:59 pm

biowizard wrote:I think the present set configuration was designed to keep its cost low and prevent pieces duplication when you either build a corner or a tower transition.
That's only when you already have a solid corner. Without that solid corner the cost is going way up as you'd need to but something that includes the corner spacer already.

Although the opening wouldn't be as large it seems to me that a single CoCW could be used to get access to the insides of two towers if you've already got those solid corners. You'd simply replace one of the standard corner walls with a cutout and have the other cutout for a different corner.

They may have broken a more expensive add-on into two pieces that cost $3 less but without the corner spacer it doesn't do much if you're looking to add a corner tower without already having the corner.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:20 am

Again, it's meant to be a low cost piece and it was a good call to separate it out from the previously $40 (unpainted) and problematic Wall To Tower pack. This lets people who just need it for Parapets, making T intersections, etc buy more efficiently.

It's worth noting that you can probably use the corner walls you removed along with their Corner Wall Platform as a freestanding piece, even without the spacer the clips and magnets and the fact that it's a very stable L shape should allow it to stand on its own and be useful somewhere else in a build.

Adding just packs of straight Wall Spacers and Corner Wall Spacers on their own would be great someday, though. They'll be useful pieces in dungeons too, and right now you can't build an all-MWOD wall which I know some people would like to do too.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:09 am

I think the present set configuration was designed to keep its cost low and prevent pieces duplication when you either build a corner or a tower transition.

StevenO
Goblin
Goblin

Post by StevenO » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:28 pm

That may be but adding that corner spacer makes it a good bit more useful without leaving all kinds of pieces sitting around. That Corner pack is also full corners with inside walls and all for two corner.

Besides, when one considers that it was a late addition and replaced something else it shouldn't be a big reach to ask for the added functionality.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:22 pm

StevenO wrote:This is mostly about the Cutout Corner Wall but how are you supposed to use it unless you already have a SOLID corner to start with? The Cutout Corner would replace the exterior walls on an existing corner with a more versatile one but the pack does nothing to actually ADD a corner to a castle. It would still need the corner spacer if it is to stand up on its own and allow a useful Tower Transition to take.
Based on the description of the pack (on the image of the pack), "Opens a corner wall to allow egress, attach towers, or suspended parapets." It was never intended to add a corner to a castle. That is the function of the Corner Walls pack.

So yes, if you have a castle/citadel with corner walls and want to open them up, you will have a couple of extra wall pieces.

willmontgomery
Goblin
Goblin

Post by willmontgomery » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:01 pm

And I'm just fine with the Cutout Corner Wall pack exactly as it is. The changes that you're asking for would stick _me_ with paying for "extra" pieces.

The point is that no pack composition can be perfect for everyone.

StevenO
Goblin
Goblin

Post by StevenO » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:47 pm

While I was thinking on this more if the CoCW makes the T intersections work that is another reason it should include the corner spacer. Having it used as an intersection also adds to mcmonte's suggestion of the inside corner walls as well.

mcmonte
Goblin
Goblin

Post by mcmonte » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:27 pm

The Cutout Corner Wall Pack needs to include a spacer and two inside walls. I'd rather have an entire extra corner than be left with corner wall pieces I cannot use.

1x Corner Cutout Wall - Right
1x Corner Cutout Wall - Left
1x Solid Insert Wall
1x 3/4 Insert Wall
1x Door Insert Wall
1x Corner Spacer
2x Corner Inside Wall