Leaked Photo #1

User avatar
jefflatt
Goblin
Goblin
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:45 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by jefflatt » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:32 pm

I agree that if an item is only available with the kickstarter it should be noted. I guarantee that if it were noted I would have arranged to purchase at the empire level instead of the capital level. Also the choice of minis was poor. In my selection I have a ratman that is riding a mount that I will not be able to purchase except on ebay for an incredibly inflated amount. They should have included some other mini.

User avatar
jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 3062
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:49 pm
Location: Thunder Bay
Contact:

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by jchunick » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Audles wrote:I still like the narrow passages better, personally. They're more useful as they can double as multiple things. Also, they seem like they'll store more easily. That said, I'll probably get some of the new walls to supplement my narrow passages (especially if they're a core pledge item).
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the new castle walls, especially for storage. But you're right that the narrow passage walls work well and have other uses such as their namesake, 'narrow passages'. I got more myself in KS3.
I figure that they were inspiration for the new wall design - I would even bet on that, but I don't think I've ever asked Nate if that was the case.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

User avatar
Audles
Ogre
Ogre
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by Audles » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:16 pm

I still like the narrow passages better, personally. They're more useful as they can double as multiple things. Also, they seem like they'll store more easily. That said, I'll probably get some of the new walls to supplement my narrow passages (especially if they're a core pledge item).

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by Saxon1974 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:47 pm

Nice, that's why I have held off getting more Battlements. Those walls are way better looking than the narrow passage game tiles.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 4052
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:26 am

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by Law » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:58 pm

Mydienon wrote:
kitenerd wrote:I think Mydienon is referring to the fact that all of us were caught off guard by the "grab bag minis" I think most us us assumed this would just be a random draw of leftover guardsmen, ratmen and townsfolk (which would have been a good bonus). Finding out after it was all over that they were unique sculpts and the ONLY way to get them was in stretch goals was a bit of a shock. On the one hand it made it kinda the most awesome stretch goal ever. On the other hand it was frustrating to those of us who pledged less than Empire to not have the "complete set".
I wasn't actually referring to any specific thing. I remember, however, that during KS3 people speculated on what might or might not be limited after the Kickstarter, and those speculations encouraged people to pledge (or not pledge) for certain things.

For example, people pretty much assumed that the basic walls, posts, floors, doors, and roofs would be available later. But various special things -- like gargoyle posts, braziers, or even the battlements packs -- were tossed around as backer rumours of what seemed more likely to be limited.

The response from DF was, "to be determined". Nothing was ruled out as definitely available, or not.

I'm simply requesting that anything limited be stated upfront. I recognize that this could make those "surprise" limited items much less valuable on the secondary market (since more people will be likely to buy them) but it also creates a more fair playing field for customers.

If I can only afford one add-on, I'd prefer to buy the one that I can't buy later, rather than buying one I can buy later for a slightly higher price.
I seem to remember that, as well. And then another dimension of it was, "What's going to be popular?" It seemed an easy guess that the basic building elements would be popular and yet available -- either because they'd be ordered enough to keep in-stock, or because they'd be slower sellers (because people might put off buying add-ons, but nobody would have put off buying the basic required pieces). But with the unique add-ons -- like you say, gargoyles, battlements, or magnetic walls and accessories -- it felt like "Well, yeah, they may show up in the store -- but will they sell out and be immediately gone again, for like another six months to a year?"

I've been very happy to see stuff hanging around in the store. I'm sure DF would love to sell out of everything on a regular basis rather than babysitting product that isn't moving, but from a consumer standpoint, it's nice to be able to count on availability. I'd like to be able to grow my city over time -- not feel obliged to drop all my money at once. Seeing that the store seems to be well-stocked, and this isn't another Catacombs situation, is nice.

Mydienon
Orc
Orc
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by Mydienon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:51 pm

kitenerd wrote:I think Mydienon is referring to the fact that all of us were caught off guard by the "grab bag minis" I think most us us assumed this would just be a random draw of leftover guardsmen, ratmen and townsfolk (which would have been a good bonus). Finding out after it was all over that they were unique sculpts and the ONLY way to get them was in stretch goals was a bit of a shock. On the one hand it made it kinda the most awesome stretch goal ever. On the other hand it was frustrating to those of us who pledged less than Empire to not have the "complete set".
I wasn't actually referring to any specific thing. I remember, however, that during KS3 people speculated on what might or might not be limited after the Kickstarter, and those speculations encouraged people to pledge (or not pledge) for certain things.

For example, people pretty much assumed that the basic walls, posts, floors, doors, and roofs would be available later. But various special things -- like gargoyle posts, braziers, or even the battlements packs -- were tossed around as backer rumours of what seemed more likely to be limited.

The response from DF was, "to be determined". Nothing was ruled out as definitely available, or not.

I'm simply requesting that anything limited be stated upfront. I recognize that this could make those "surprise" limited items much less valuable on the secondary market (since more people will be likely to buy them) but it also creates a more fair playing field for customers.

If I can only afford one add-on, I'd prefer to buy the one that I can't buy later, rather than buying one I can buy later for a slightly higher price.

User avatar
Audles
Ogre
Ogre
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:32 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by Audles » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:48 pm

I can see how you made an intuitive leap Law for sure. But I guess, for me, there's never been a unique stretch goal by pledge level before. I don't know, gave me kind of an elitist vibe. I think stretch goals should be clear.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 4052
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:26 am

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by Law » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Agreed that these things should be very clear. But, to be fair, I somehow figured out that they'd be unique. I can't remember for certain if I saw that said explicitly, though I feel like I did -- probably in a one-off remark on the comments thread over at the KS.

But even if it was said, it wasn't made clear if I'm the only one who noticed. Maybe I was just remembering my experiences with the past DF offerings or thinking about how freebies on KS often work. Whatever the reason, I did realize that my pledge would mean I'd miss out on some exclusive minis. I had to live with it.

To be fair, I doubt I'd change my pledge even if I hadn't known. I'd rather have "one of everything" (or close to it) than get a bunch of duplicate sculpts just for a shot at some random minis I hadn't even seen yet. (To echo a post of mine elsewhere, I'm hoping this KS is more transparent -- surprises are fun and all, but we'd like to see what the options are when we're deciding how to pledge. I realize that if something isn't sculpted, it just isn't sculpted, but when people are deciding their pledge levels and taking stretch goals into account, having a stretch goal that nobody knows what it looks like is really not that great.)

User avatar
Magniopi
Orc
Orc
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:14 pm
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by Magniopi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:19 pm

kitenerd wrote: I think Mydienon is referring to the fact that all of us were caught off guard by the "grab bag minis" I think most us us assumed this would just be a random draw of leftover guardsmen, ratmen and townsfolk (which would have been a good bonus). Finding out after it was all over that they were unique sculpts and the ONLY way to get them was in stretch goals was a bit of a shock. On the one hand it made it kinda the most awesome stretch goal ever. On the other hand it was frustrating to those of us who pledged less than Empire to not have the "complete set".

I think i speak for all of us in saying if there is something in KS IV that we will ONLY be able to get during the KS, then we want to know upfront.
Another +1 to this. I did not get an Empire pledge. I was on the fence and decided to go smaller. Had I known the minis would be unique and not just a grab bag of minis I was already getting, I 100% would have upgraded to Empire.

User avatar
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord
Posts: 2326
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:47 pm
Location: Redwood Empire

Re: Leaked Photo #1

Post by kitenerd » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:47 am

I agree completely that DF has been doing an amazing job with communications! We have all noticed and the change is appreciated.

I think Mydienon is referring to the fact that all of us were caught off guard by the "grab bag minis" I think most us us assumed this would just be a random draw of leftover guardsmen, ratmen and townsfolk (which would have been a good bonus). Finding out after it was all over that they were unique sculpts and the ONLY way to get them was in stretch goals was a bit of a shock. On the one hand it made it kinda the most awesome stretch goal ever. On the other hand it was frustrating to those of us who pledged less than Empire to not have the "complete set".

With KS1 all of us knew that painted COS was a limited edition. Same with Lava caverns in KS2.

I think i speak for all of us in saying if there is something in KS IV that we will ONLY be able to get during the KS, then we want to know upfront.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests