DFKS4 - Official Teaser #2

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: DFKS4 - Official Teaser #2

Post by jchunick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Limbolance wrote:Thinking "out of the box - what if there is no other side of the wall? Just floor/roof sections that "jut out at right angles" and balance the whole sheebang? Just make a wall on one side, interior wall on the other side and add ceilings/floors with pegs where desired. Maybe even columns with pegs top and bottom...to fit into the floor and then into the ceiling of each level to prevent bowing. Thus, one side is open for miniature movement and scenery placement on one side - solid on the other... Top with Battlement Strips or they may even rest/be pinned on the columns...
Theory.png
'Course we will all know the answer no later than March 6... right?!?
Cool! You did up an illustration and everything! Some pretty cool 'thinking out of the box'.

Man, I wish I could post the ones I did up while helping on the solution for the walls... if you love all the factory updates on the KSes and the book of Stefan's work then you guys would probably love to see the process that went into the development of this KS - we probably have enough images and drawings and the like to make another book! :-)

Well, people certainly got one thing right - the amount of material that goes into a piece is always a consideration and a concern.
Last edited by jchunick on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Law wrote:The need to make sure things are done just right to avoid warping seems really high for DSIV. Certainly larger pieces pose the issue, but larger hollow pieces do as well. (Though, I expect a 4x4x4 solid chunk of this stuff could twist itself into all sorts of horrific shapes if it warped -- feels like it could be even MORE of an issue!)

I'm very pleased with the fact that KSIII seems to have been mostly free of major warp issues. I didn't get a lot of larger pieces from KS1 and 2, but I had the impression it was a real bugaboo there. I only had two street tiles (in an Imperial Streets set!) that warped, and maybe a few minor issues on a small number of other pieces -- so insignificant I haven't bothered to track it. I think I had maybe 2-3 posts that stick out a bit at odd angles, and maybe 1 sewer sluice piece. But really, given how many pieces I got and how little an impact the issue had, it feels like it wasn't a problem.

But I don't think KSIV can sit on its laurels about this. Feels like everything is being scaled up this time, and so hopefully it's being watched.
I don't know how the process has evolved exactly from KS1 - KS3, but they certainly have been improving it. That one picture of the factory posted in an update on KS3 showed metal frames they put the tiles in before placing in the water bath to cool into the proper shape were likely an improvement.

There's someone on these forums who is a materials engineer or some-such and is very familiar with all the factors involved with PVC material cooling when it comes out of a mold so he'd be an excellent resource for specific questions on the topic.
Unless otherwise noted, my views and opinions on this forum are my own and do not, in any way, reflect the views and opinions of Dwarven Forge.

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

Post by Limbolance » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:35 pm

Thinking "out of the box - what if there is no other side of the wall? Just floor/roof sections that "jut out at right angles" and balance the whole sheebang? Just make a wall on one side, interior wall on the other side and add ceilings/floors with pegs where desired. Maybe even columns with pegs top and bottom...to fit into the floor and then into the ceiling of each level to prevent bowing. Thus, one side is open for miniature movement and scenery placement on one side - solid on the other... Top with Battlement Strips or they may even rest/be pinned on the columns...
Picture1.png
A Theory
Picture1.png (44.15 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
'Course we will all know the answer no later than March 6... right?!?
Last edited by Limbolance on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:19 pm

The need to make sure things are done just right to avoid warping seems really high for DSIV. Certainly larger pieces pose the issue, but larger hollow pieces do as well. (Though, I expect a 4x4x4 solid chunk of this stuff could twist itself into all sorts of horrific shapes if it warped -- feels like it could be even MORE of an issue!)

I'm very pleased with the fact that KSIII seems to have been mostly free of major warp issues. I didn't get a lot of larger pieces from KS1 and 2, but I had the impression it was a real bugaboo there. I only had two street tiles (in an Imperial Streets set!) that warped, and maybe a few minor issues on a small number of other pieces -- so insignificant I haven't bothered to track it. I think I had maybe 2-3 posts that stick out a bit at odd angles, and maybe 1 sewer sluice piece. But really, given how many pieces I got and how little an impact the issue had, it feels like it wasn't a problem.

But I don't think KSIV can sit on its laurels about this. Feels like everything is being scaled up this time, and so hopefully it's being watched.

Jonathan
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Jonathan » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:42 pm

jchunick wrote:
dice4hire wrote:Is that wall really a 4 inch wide, 4 inch hig (who knows how deep) single piece? It sure looks like it.

That is a huge hunk of dwarvenite!!!!
Yes, you are mostly correct. It's definitely a 4" wide by 4" high (by however deep) wall section.
I suspect the wall is designed in such a manner that it looks very impressive from the outside, and on the inside it is something of a skeletal wall. Not solid dwarvenite, but hollow.

I'm picturing the other side of the wall having modular passageways, maybe some exposed wooden beams, rooms of various sorts, and perhaps a stable or too. All without actually using a lot of actual dwarvenite, thus keeping the cost of materials (and shipping!) lower.

This theory is partly based on design choices (KS2 elevation pieces are hollow, KS3 roofs are hollow, etc), and partly since Josh basically implied that the wall sections are not technically huge hunks of dwarvenite. ;)

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:36 pm

lostpict wrote:Stephan said, any height or width and Nate said gamechanging:
jchunick wrote:And remember what Stefan said in the first teaser thread about walls,
Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:...but the walls are really, really kewl, much better than the improvised use narrow passages to make city walls...these are true City Walls with passages in them:) And you can make them any height or width you want:)
Maybe any height & width that are multiple of 4"?
Ahhh... I got it now. Sorry, working on KS4 for so long now it's sometimes easy to take certain facts for granted. Yes, it'd be much more accurate to say multiples of four. Pattern-wise, you can't really mix and match different sizes that well and still have compatibility or the benefits of tiling without making everything very plain.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Stephan said, any height or width and Nate said gamechanging:
jchunick wrote:And remember what Stefan said in the first teaser thread about walls,
Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:...but the walls are really, really kewl, much better than the improvised use narrow passages to make city walls...these are true City Walls with passages in them:) And you can make them any height or width you want:)
Maybe any height & width that are multiple of 4"?
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:50 pm

lostpict wrote:I wonder does this that mean I can make them varying widths or heights? (For example 1", 2", or 5" wide and similar heights tall?) That would be cool!
?... you lost me. I'm not sure how you're getting those sizes...

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:22 pm

I wonder does this that mean I can make them varying widths or heights? (For example 1", 2", or 5" wide and similar heights tall?) That would be cool!
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:11 pm

dice4hire wrote:Is that wall really a 4 inch wide, 4 inch hig (who knows how deep) single piece? It sure looks like it.

That is a huge hunk of dwarvenite!!!!
Yes, you are mostly correct. It's definitely a 4" wide by 4" high (by however deep) wall section.