Confused about double walls...

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Confused about double walls...

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:24 pm

So I took a few minutes to look over some of my notes and read a few other things....

To confirm BookWyrm...

The Citadel comes with a flooring configuration that supports adding inside walls. Without inside walls it is 17x17, the citadel comes with 4 8x8 and various smaller pieces to fill it . Watching the inside walls video above demonstrates this clearly.

Making the walls double thick (with inside walls) makes the floor space 14x14 and the citadel does not come with floor pieces that can be adjusted to the sizes needed. To get the floor pieces needed, one might try the the Courtyard Floors set, or even look at not using floor pieces at all. I intend to use a gridded mat for my floors. Not using floors also allows some more flexibility if you should want to build an alternate configuration with your walls (a castle wall jutting out from a cliff face for example).

I had previously mentioned the Cutout Corner walls... those allow access to a corner tower from inside the wall. I do not think you need those for square towers. When you intend to use a square tower, the tower will replace the corner. So you really only need the Cutout Corner walls for integrating a round tower into the citadel. They also allow for creating an alternate external entrance/exit in the wall but you can do that with a City Builder wall in a tower.. or a City Builder wall used with the Modular Walls of Doom.. but I digress.

If you are planning to use your city builder stone buildings for the tower, those will work fine! If you intend to use them with single thick citadel/castle walls you may want to pick up a Stone Advanced Builder Set to get the extreme offset doors so that the doors align with the walls (not to mention the new city building configurations you can make!).

So Citadel, Inside Walls, Double Walls.
If you want the stone castle floors, then a Courtyard Floor pack.
If doing single walls with square towers (made from city builder) then maybe a Stone Advanced Builder Set. BTW, If you purchase a Square Tower Pack it comes with the extreme offset doors.

And yes... the mountains are awesome! So looking forward to delivery in the next couple of months. :-)

BookWyrm
Kobold
Kobold

Post by BookWyrm » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:47 pm

I believe a Citadel with Inside Walls needs 16"x16" of floor tiles to fill it. A Citadel with no Inside Walls needs 17"x17" of floor tiles. When you add Double Thick Walls, the floor space you need to cover becomes 12"x12". You could fill the floor of a Double Thick Citadel with one 8"x8", one 1"x6", one 1"x2", and five 4"x4" floor pieces. You would need to get the five 4"x4" floor pieces from somewhere. The Citadel comes with the other floor pieces you would need.

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:55 pm

Thanks a lot! I've seen those videos actually. I know that I need inside walls and double thicks walls, but the videos are not clear about floors so I don't know if those coming with the Citadel set will be enough or if I need to get a Floor Set too. Yeah I forgot about corner walls too. It's getting quite costly only to get bigger wall. Maybe I'll stick to the basic Citadel and get inside walls only. I must admit all those Castle set look great, but unlike dungeon, cavern and cities I can hardly justify them cost-wise. We can already create some great castle using City Builder System. I'll think about it. The thing that actually really hype me the most in this kickstarter is the mountain set...it's just too cool lol.

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:58 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Double walls - They did several videos during the kickstarter. Here is a link to the one on grand citadel double walls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv_Dhc1 ... wh8ZR3xyDJ

and here is one about inside walls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJq2X4K ... DJ&index=5

The citadel floor will have a different footprint with double walls, and may require some other pieces to fill it in properly. I do not recall the details, there are others on the forum that will know the answers better than I.

I believe the corner walls set is for adding corners to the set. What you may be wanting is the cutout corner walls which allow access to the tower from inside the walls. And yes, it should work with square towers.

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Confused about double walls...

Post by jgt4242 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:46 pm

I got a question for you Dwarven Forge lovers out there. I was checking out Kickstarter 4 and, while those castle things look great, it's all a bit confusing. I will probably get myself a Citadel set. Now if I'd like double thick walls all around I know I need the Citadel Double Thick Walls Add-On, the Citadel Inside Walls Add-On, but do I also need some Corner Walls Add-On and Floor pack? I'm preparing a list for what I'll buy eventually.

Also...does cut-out walls also work for square tower?