Grand Tournament - KS5 Terrain

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Grand Tournament - KS5 Terrain

Post by lostpict » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:56 pm

For me this all about gaming in a cool setting that typifies the high chivalry medieval world. With these things, I would run a fun tournament game, use the nice tournament / faire setting for RPGing like Robin hood or Ivanhoe, or using the Knights and their retinue for tabletop wargaining across my DF castle and city terrain. I also like matching miniatures - in fact it is one of the things I like most about the GW LOTR line, lots of poses and options for the heroes.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:40 pm

I hope I'm striking a balance between practical gaming and display uses.

Tents and campsites are a sorely underutilized setting in my gaming experience, but they offer some really interesting challenges. For one thing, it's a chance to ambush the party when they aren't all geared out and armored up -- which means the threat has to be toned down somewhat, allowing the DM to teach the players not to be so dismissive of critters they "outgrew" a couple of levels ago. The cloth walls can be used to throw a whole new dynamic into stealth and evasion -- it's harder to sneak past a tent than a building, but it's easier to cut through one (pun!). And there is no reason that a city or town couldn't have a (temporary?) "tent district" where visitors can set up camp for a night or three.

Large outdoor railings might also be useful as "fences" for large animals, border or roadway markers, and so on.

Using stairs and platforms as bleacher seating is probably the easiest and cheapest arena solution we're going to get short of DF actually trying to market/kickstart the original resin colosseum.

The miniatures-of-the-same-figure-in-different-poses thing has come up before, and as a player I often wish I had the same figure in at least relaxed and combat modes. My characters are either always swinging a weapon / casting a spell, or incredibly blasé about everything, because it is incredibly difficult to find two miniatures that match.

And there are never enough NPC/civilian minis, IMO.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:48 pm

I prolly wouldn't be in for this either, but as long as we are going down this route, then heck...what about a coliseum? He already has one made up, we have all seen the videos. That would be pretty cool. It could add to the city builder as well.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:23 pm

I'm in the hobby more for the game and less for the diorama. I wouldn't be the target audience here. Just want to make sure there are a variety of comments here. :)
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Post by lostpict » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Jackattack, you are definitely channeling my daydream.

I am imagining maybe a series of sets of knights that come with an armored mounted version with Lance , an armored foot with hand weapon, a formal version standing in robes, and seated in robes with an armed squire (foot and mounted), and a couple of pages all in matching livery plus a liveried tent and camp gear. There would be the Red knight, the Green knight, the Blue Knight, etc. No reason some of the knights may not be female, or elves, or even orcs, etc. Ivanhoe, King Arthur, El Cid, Robinhood, and A Knight's Tale beckon.
Regards,

madrigalian
Orc
Orc

Post by madrigalian » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:32 pm

Take my money! Please!
My DF Galleries -
3dDelve - https://ello.co/3ddelve
Imgur - Thanks zazulu! - http://imgur.com/a/ppUeP/layout/horizontal#0

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:16 pm

And quintains (jousting dummies) and archery targets.

I missed those!
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:14 pm

I'll play.

In my opinion, Tourney Terrain (TM) should be (mainly) unbased accessories so they can be used with a variety of DF and non-DF products, from tile sets to battle mats.

Pavilion tents could be done as 10' (2") circles and squares. They could be hollow (and unfinished) inside to save on materials, or solid if it saves more on molds.

There could be a larger pavilion tent, a 10'x10' rectangle with 5'x10' half-circles at each end. This would require two molds, and might allow the 10' circular pavilion tent to be cast as two pieces from the same half-circle mold.

A good tourney needs rails to keep the peasants off the field of honor, and to keep the jousting knights' horses from running into each other. These might be solid planked barriers, or they might be beams on posts.

A full-on set of modular wooden stairs and platforms might also serve as bleacher-type seating for spectators. Wooden stairs are suitable for multiple sets DF already makes (or made), so I think they would be very versatile. Wooden platforms (1" cubes), pillars, and elevations (2" cubes) could also be used to make catwalks, piers, and other structures. The design should be similar to the old resin wooden ramp piece. (And maybe we could get a new Dwarvenite wooden ramp piece.)

For the LED fans, how about a bonfire? The challenge is to sculpt the wood base to pass for a stack of wood or a pile of debris, and to set the light(s) to illuminate a solid mass of flames (for festive bonfires or burning debris) or a ring of fire (with a detachable wooden post) around a 1" circle or square (for burning at the stake or summoning fire elementals/demons).

As for miniatures, what a great opportunity for some classic medieval fantasy court figures! And to create minis of the same figures in different poses!

A trumpeter at rest, and trumpeting. Not useful outside a tourney or court? What about on a battlefield? What if the trumpet is magical?

A woman in a full dress and pointy hat, standing and bowing and recoiling and holding a long knife. They could be ladies in waiting, princesses, damsels in distress, or fighters/rogues in disguise (or one character in various situations).

Guards (match CBS guards?) at attention and at parade rest.

A herald or crier with a scroll under one arm, and another reading an unrolled scroll aloud. Might be reading a proclamation, might be activating a spell.

Two sets of knights in various poses. On foot at rest (helmet off?), on foot with melee weapon, on foot with missile weapon, mounted at rest (helmet off?), mounted with melee weapon, mounted with lance. Maybe one with the knight unarmored (seated?), and the armor on a stand or in a pile.

Finally, a lord and lady. Seated and standing.

It's a little outside DF's normal range, but I think this could be a fun addition for a DF kickstarter.

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:02 pm

I am 100% behind this... tourney grounds, stands, quintains, etc would be awesome.

lostpict
Ogre
Ogre

Grand Tournament - KS5 Terrain

Post by lostpict » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Someone was mentioning on the KS forum last week that everything had been sculpted for Castles, but he kitchen sink. Over Thanksgiving I watched the beautiful, Cinemascope "Knights of the Round Table" to realize that sinks and garderobe aside, my castle needs a set of beautiful, painted DF pavilions, tents, lists, and bleachers for a Ground Tournament. Some matching Knights - foot and mounted to go along with the Castle Defenders would be cool too. Not to mention a round-table.

Just day-dreaming, but.....

Regards,