Helping the Undecided

Vegomatic
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Helping the Undecided

Post by Vegomatic » Fri May 13, 2016 9:27 pm

You might consider getting some of the Square Roof Platforms to build elevations with KS1/KS2 pieces.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri May 13, 2016 5:00 pm

BullMag - My budget is similar to yours... I am really not trying to build a castle but looking at this KS to enhance the others

WatchTower lets me feel like i am part of the fun, Gatehouse is a good entry to anything (and your most likely encounter point - you can fake walls out of KS1 pieces flipped onto each other)

After that - Cube Spacers, Wall Spacers, Courtyard Floors - all of these look like advanced builder bits to me ;)

Stone Bridge is the REAL standout here - I am getting 4 - the potential for 3D dungeon building is just too amazing (Tower bridge is pretty awesome as well and adds a flavor twist for a key area), Flagstone Floors are a bargain and let you do huge raised areas very easily

Despite the fact that this has the potential to be a ridiculously expensive KS, there are a TON of cool and relatively inexpensive add ons that give you huge flexibility. I am really excited about the possibilities of a lot of these pieces.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Fri May 13, 2016 4:09 pm

I thought the minimum build for that would be Gatehouse + WatchTower + some walls/hallway types. I'm okay with the towers being shorter by 1 level so they all match up. I just have to figure out how you do the back-side, if thats like double walls or something

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but this also came to me after more reading. Does the Square roof add-on pack work well with the KS1 stuff to maximize use of all my parts?

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Fri May 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks GeekJeff!

Yes - I own nothing from KS3. I was thinking I could go buy it on the store now, but then I thought it may be wiser to just buy all KS4 stuff and get whatever KS3 stuff I want later when my wallet has replenished since it won't go anywhere.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri May 13, 2016 4:00 pm

You said you don't have any City Builder (KS3) stuff, correct?

That complicates the facade build you posted, as pictured it relies on a fair amount of city builder stone bits and some stone advanced builder packs.

I have an idea about how to build something very similar with just KS4 pieces though. I'll sort it out and do a parts list tonight.

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Fri May 13, 2016 3:49 pm

you are so right. I added in everything and then stared at the 1.26K and I am like - that's only .24 away from a Royal Stronghold *SIGH* I have to re-evaluate and check myself.

I think I MUST have mountains + that picture I linked AND make it all painted. The need to build a full on castle from all angles is low. I feel like having the façade, walls and towers is great. I can use my KS 1 to fill in the insides ( I think). The mountains are just a perfect addition to KS2.

I think that picture is like 1 Ramparts, Manual Draw bridge, 1 WatchTower, 1 Large Fortified Tower for the extra floors) and then some additional castle walls (not sure of type). Is that accurate?

I think the battlements are so much nicer than the crenulations because of the extra play space.

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Fri May 13, 2016 3:03 pm

geekjeff wrote:Watchtower pledge is actually 3 bucks cheaper than buying the main parts a la carte, $190 versus $193 for 2x Large Fortified Tower and 1x Large Tower Battlements.
Plus you get the set of stretch goals and some bonus LED walls swapped in. Very strong value on that one.
On alternative to save a bit is to go 2 x Large Fortified Tower and 1 x Large Round Crenelations. I know it's not as big a playable area on top, but it comes in at $166. Saving you $24-27. Admittedly not much in the scheme of things, but if stretch goals are of no interest, this could be used towards useful stuff like Modular Wall of Doom, Wall Spacers, or extra Corner walls, etc.

As far as the original suggestion of going Ramparts, I'd recommend going bigger, or smaller. The Ramparts can be easily added for cheaper to your pledge than the package itself assuming you don't want the stretch goals. It really comes down to what you want out of it. If you do want some stretch goals, this makes sense.

Pinching pennies out of this KS is really touch. I originally wanted to go in at about your level but have failed so many will saves that it's quadrupled on me. :(

With so many options, you're going to have to put a hard stop on stuff. Ie. No Mountains. No Theme. 4" towers only, 6" towers only, etc.

Even then, you'll easily blow past your budget. I opted no themes, no mountains and primarily 6" towers... I really wish KSIV had been Castle's and KS V introducing towers. I may be banned from KS next year. :)
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri May 13, 2016 2:38 pm

I think there's some logic to that, sure. I am still mulling over a Royal Stronghold and considering biting the bullet and getting the base pledge painted, getting addons unpainted.

Gives me something to put on the table (and for the kids to play with in my case) immediately, gets the biggest chunk done already, and hopefully serves as inspiration to hurry up and get the rest of it painted faster.

Mountains have to be unpainted for me, my Caverns are a custom/fancier paint job and I'd want them to match/compliment my color scheme.

BullMag
Goblin
Goblin

Post by BullMag » Fri May 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Yeah - the way I was viewing the painting surcharge was that it may be super worth it on an already bundled item. For example - Counts Castle is a significant savings if you were to try and build it in addons/etc. So the fact that's its only ~30% on that item for painting may make it much more worth it, than add-ons

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri May 13, 2016 2:20 pm

Painting upcharges vary quite a bit from set to set, but they consistently average out to around 30% extra cost.